What should I get?

This is a discussion on What should I get? within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; Hello all im new to this forum, i just recently bought a beautiful 2003 wrx and I'm looking to put ...

What should I get?

Hello all im new to this forum, i just recently bought a beautiful 2003 wrx and I'm looking to put a sub in it. I don't know much about subs, and stereos, etc. I just need some good recommendations for a sub/amp/whatever other stuff I need. There is an aftermarket stereo in it, and it has a menue for sub controls so I assume it has the connections I need so I dont need a new one.
    Oh and im trying to stay within $300-400 if at all possible. Thanks any help would be gladly appreciated!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Are you doing the install?

If not, you may be limited to an all-in-one like these (even then, you may go over budget, once you factor in wiring kit / labor):
    WoofersEtc.com - Basslink II - Infinity 10" Powered Subwoofer w/ Passive Radiator
    Al & Ed's Autosound - JL Audio Single 10" WX PowerWedge MAX Car Subwoofer
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

With that budget I'd try and find a used sub. You're either going to need one that's powered or buy an amp, then you need the wiring to hook it in, plus the install labor.

Can you post the brand name and model of the head unit? Depending on what that is, you may want to look into upgrading something besides adding a sub.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

i might have a used basslink here. if you would be interested, i'll take a look, and we can work out a deal.

Alright what are some good used subs i should look for? any size suggestion? and I think I will be installing it with my stepdad if it isn't too hard. Do i need to buy any different wiring also?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by B-rett
    Alright what are some good used subs i should look for? any size suggestion? and I think I will be installing it with my stepdad if it isn't too hard. Do i need to buy any different wiring also?
    You need an amp wiring kit, and wire to the sub. Any online vendor can make sure you have everything.

JL Audio W3 / Image Dynamics IDQ would both be good subs to consider.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Your prebuilt sound system

Pair of Kicker 07C124 (07C124) 12" 4 ohm Comp Subs (C124 2 Pack)

MTX RFL300D 600W Max, RFL Class D Monoblock Amplifier

StreetWires ZN1K-08+RCA 8 Gauge Amp Kit + RCA Interconnect Combo

MTX BS212S Dual 12" Sealed Unloaded Enclosure - Sonic Electronix

I just built you a complete system for $344 with nice equipment. You'll get 2 Kicker 12" subs, an amp that

perfectly compliments the subs, a nice box with the right amount of air space to make those subs hit nice, and

a wiring kit to power your amp. The only thing you'll need is 12 or 10 gauge wire to go from the amp to the

subs. I have these exact subs in my car with a similar amp and box and it sounds unbelievable. Below is a link

to my Facebook page so you can look at what I have done. I have a lot of experience building sound

equipment and have completely redone my sound system in my 2008 WRX.

Facebook

I will go ahead and let you know that having 2 12" subs will leave you with little trunk room. I you would like a

little smaller system just let me know and I can rework it for you. Also I would

highly recommend NOT getting used speakers. There is no telling how hard they've

been used, if they were powered correctly, or how abused the voice coils are.