Noise Dampening

This is a discussion on Noise Dampening within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; I'm looking for ideas to lessen the noise from my aftermarket exhaust. The situation arises during highway travel, at about ...

Noise Dampening

I'm looking for ideas to lessen the noise from my aftermarket exhaust. The situation arises during highway travel, at about 2700 rpm the drone is almost enough to drown out the stereo. Is this a common problem with the 08 sedans? I'm using Perrin mufflers right now do other brands have less of the problem? How much does the foam used for stereo installs help out?

Thanks in advance for your ideas and experiences.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."

- Winston Churchill

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Hey, once you have done an exhust mod it is hard to get a quite ride at those rpm speeds due to the great boxer engine (and you right at the point where the turbo starts to spin)! What I have done, is put some dynamat around the boot (bottom,top, side walls and lip) and have found this has reduced the noise some what... Now it is time for that subwoofer!

I Support ClubWRX
    People have reported positive results with some dynamat in the right spots. I'm not sure about the sedan, however.

Aftermarket mufflers are generally louder than stock. There are some that will be much quieter if you want to go that route.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro