in-dash GPS suggestions?

This is a discussion on in-dash GPS suggestions? within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; Anyone know a good(reliable) in-dash gps? I was thinking of getting the Kenwood DNX9980HD but its a bit too expensive ...

in-dash GPS suggestions?

Anyone know a good(reliable) in-dash gps? I was thinking of getting the Kenwood DNX9980HD but its a bit too expensive so I decided to get on the forums and see if anyone can suggest a good in-dash gps. Oh and I dont plan on changing my steering wheel so I hope I can still use those buttons on it.

Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

GFB
    I've had good experiences with my JVC NT3HDT so far. Only issue I've had is the POI data is a little out of date, and Navteq is dragging its feet on pushing an update. Crutchfield has it on sale at the moment. I got mine from their Scratch n Dent, and it didn't have any scratches or dents.

I'm shopping for a in dash GPS unit as well. Narrowed it down to a kenwood...now I just have to figure out which one.....
    vendeta2k
    Accessport + COBB SF Intake = BEST MOD EVAR!!!!!

Stanley...you can use your steering wheel controls with a new head unit...as long as it will accept steering wheel controls (most new ones do) and you get either a Pac SWI or Metra steering wheel adapter....
    vendeta2k

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm not trying to be a wise ass, but why not just use Google Nav on a phone? I ask all of my friends this. Heck, I used to use my nav screen in my Nissan as a prop for my phone. I think it's silly to buy something that requires constant updates (at a cost $). Anyway, off the soap box, just trying to help you think it through...
    Greg
    Build Thread
    ProTuned Stage 3ish '11 WRX Ltd HB (SWP) ~ 354 awhp 404 ft-lb tq on E85
    Friends don't let friends drive Mitsubishis.

I Support ClubWRX
    For someone who is mainly concerned with navigation, I recommend the Kenwood units, since they use the Garmin software. I haven't tried them all, but I prefer the Garmin interface to TomTom, Magellan, and Pioneer (last nav interface I tried was the Avic-D3). I haven't tried Alpine/JVC, but at least with Alpine, that is often one of the things users weren't as happy with from the reviews I read when I was stereo shopping.

That said, I am similar to lokey on this one; I use the Google Nav on my Android, and have been quite pleased with it. The only downside is that I have to turn my music off to hear it. This isn't a big deal to me because I hardly use it, so for someone looking for more common use, this may not be an option.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Purchased the Kenwood DNX 7180. Having it installed on Saturday, along with a bunch of other goodies. I'll post up how it performs, since I'll be using the nav a bunch while on vacation for the next few weeks.
    vendeta2k

If you have an Iphone, pioneer has a head unit that uses the phone for its brain.. runs nav, calls, music.. etc all from the phone. Its basically just a preamp and larger display for the phone. Price isn't bad either but I'd like to play with one in person before I recommend. Just thinkin that so many people use their phones for so much that why double devices when you can simply extend for auto use.

Pioneer AppRadio™ Digital media receiver at Crutchfield.com
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

I Support ClubWRX
    it uses the MotionX app.. so you'd have to buy that too. I also don't like that there isn't any CD player with it. If there were a CD player, and a custom background, you'd have me sold if the interface was smooth.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

just an Ideer.. the reviews all said it was a bit buggy anyway. I prefer garmin/kenwood combos.. but if I'm to get away from the pioneer F700bt I have now (that despite some small glitches works fine) .. I'd want to upgrade to better nav software and a bigger screen. That would put me looking dead in the eye of a Kenwood.

they're $$! though.. but worth it.

also something to think about if you like bypassing safety features (I like to be able to manipulate the nav while on the roll) the Kenwood's and others are easier to defeat vs the pioneers.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!