Lets see them Subs in the trunk!!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Lets see them Subs in the trunk!! within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; Whats going on everyone? I will be doing a full system in a couple months and cant decide what I ...

Lets see them Subs in the trunk!!

Whats going on everyone? I will be doing a full system in a couple months and cant decide what I want to do with the trunk. I had a JL 10w7 in my previous vehicle and loved the clarity and how low it could go. I listen to all types of music. The issue is, I still want to have somewhat of a trunk. So I am thinking something along the lines of a Ported JL W6 10" or 12" or W7 8" or 10", I think any of the listed subs would sound awesome and should still leave some trunk space.. What are your thoughts?

Lets see what you guys got in your trunk, Comments and tips are always welcomed.

Thanks

Dreks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Last edited by wrxtreme06; 07-22-2011 at 09:40 AM.

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

I dont see anything?????

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Woops. Fixed

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

The issue with the W7 is the volume they need and the weight of the box they require. I love the W6's, I've had them in a number of cars. I would stick to 10" and smaller (I'm really only into Rock/Metal so not as much of a need for extremely low tones). It sound like you already have an idea about what you want and I agree they're all good choices as long as you have the right amp to power them.
    Stink eye mob #727
    2011 WRX DGM Hatch, Protuned Stage 1

Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    Woops. Fixed
    Nice little setup, Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jd92677 View Post
    The issue with the W7 is the volume they need and the weight of the box they require. I love the W6's, I've had them in a number of cars. I would stick to 10" and smaller (I'm really only into Rock/Metal so not as much of a need for extremely low tones). It sound like you already have an idea about what you want and I agree they're all good choices as long as you have the right amp to power them.
    The weight isnt as much of an issue as trunk space for me, either an 8W7 or 10W7 with a box built to spec should still leave the front half of my trunk open. I think a 10W6 in a ported box built to spec would be enough, and would be a smaller box than the 8W7, Just not sure if it will be what I want. I hate buying something and then finding out that I want more. I know the W7's will be Awesome, I havent heard many W6 setups to know how they compare to the W7..

Quote Originally Posted by DreksSTI View Post
    The weight isnt as much of an issue as trunk space for me, either an 8W7 or 10W7 with a box built to spec should still leave the front half of my trunk open. I think a 10W6 in a ported box built to spec would be enough, and would be a smaller box than the 8W7, Just not sure if it will be what I want. I hate buying something and then finding out that I want more. I know the W7's will be Awesome, I havent heard many W6 setups to know how they compare to the W7..
    I've had 3 12w6's in a sealed box, sounded great, but no trunk. Had a a 10 W6 in a legacy wagon, the amp was a little small for it and it was enough to enjoy but didn't knock my sox off, and was no comparison to the W7, they're beasts. When I start spending money on audio, I'm doing an 8W7. I'm looking for crisp clean sound without waking the neighborhood. If you think you'll want more, 10W7 is definitely the way to go
    Stink eye mob #727
    2011 WRX DGM Hatch, Protuned Stage 1

Quote Originally Posted by jd92677 View Post
    I've had 3 12w6's in a sealed box, sounded great, but no trunk. Had a a 10 W6 in a legacy wagon, the amp was a little small for it and it was enough to enjoy but didn't knock my sox off, and was no comparison to the W7, they're beasts. When I start spending money on audio, I'm doing an 8W7. I'm looking for crisp clean sound without waking the neighborhood. If you think you'll want more, 10W7 is definitely the way to go
    Thanks for sharing your setups and your opinion. I have been leaning towards the 8W7 myself, Should be plenty of bass, crisp and clean like you said and good for a variety of music. I had the 10W7 in my single cab sierra before I got the STI, And loved the W7, Now I cant decide if I want the 10" over the 8". With the 8W7, optimum wattage is only 250-300w but the 10W7's optimum is around 500w, It would be hard to justify spending the extra $200 for the 10W7 and the extra $2-300+ for a bigger amp to run it, Idk if the difference in sound would be worth it.

My trunk has 100% usable space since my sub is under the driver's seat.

It's currently set to be flat at 30Hz, roll up 10dB from 40Hz to 100Hz and then roll back down to flat again. It can't put huge quantities of bass out at 30Hz either (maybe 90dB max C-weighted at the reference level compared to maybe 110 max for 50Hz, but most of the music I listen to doesn't have much content below 40Hz anyway (i.e. mostly classic rock).

If I were to go the trunk path, I'd get an Audio Integrations box so it doesn't move around, looks stock and maximizes trunk space by being in the corner on the sedan. I've got an Alpine 12" already in a box with a 300 watt sub sitting in the garage, but it'd eat up too much space and it's hard to anchor (used to use in my old ProbeGT). It's got solid 30Hz, but it still doesn't have significant output at 20Hz and it's largely overkill above 30Hz since I adjust for accuracy more than loudness.

Maybe I'm just getting old, but I chose to keep my trunk space on my '11. My next step will be to get a Sony 660BT head unit with TomTom NAV, parametric EQ (smooth out response) and backup camera.

I like the audio integrations boxes but they are not ported, which isnt a huge issue and they are a bit expensive, If I go that route I will have my stereo shop locally build one custom like it for a fraction of that. Thanks for your input, I appreciate it

I dont have a "trunk" per say.. but .. here's my rig

btw.. if your local guys can build you a from scratch enclosure as solid and as nice as the AI pieces.. for LESS.... I'd be really surprised. To one off a enclosure that looks/works/mounts as nice as the AI piece just the man hours alone would get you close to the AI price. Dunno man.. its your call and your wallet. I snapped mine up used for $200. Search around.. they're out there for cheap second hand.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Very nice system. And yes my local guys can do it from scratch for less, And every bit as good if not better. Only reason I get it so cheap is because Ive known them personally for years so they charge me close to nothing for most. they have done a couple of my systems.

So you're getting the good ol buddy "materials cost only" discount. Most owners dont have that option (def nice to have in't it? ). I can build them myself (for cheaper) but honestly.. I didn't feel like getting that high (my garage is attached to my house.. I'd have been high for days) when I could buy one that did what I needed.

Keep us posted on what ya do though, custom stuff is better in a some ways because you can make it your own and blend it better than a cookie cutter design.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Oh yes, It is very nice. Gives you extra money for upgrades in other areas . JL also makes a nice stealthbox and its pre loaded with a JL 10W6 and look smilar to AI's. More than likely it will be a custom box tho just because what you said, It can blended better and you can your own little things to it. Will definitely post pics when the time comes, Still a couple months away.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast