Replace stock radio in WRX (Not STI)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Replace stock radio in WRX (Not STI) within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; Hi, I'm gonna get my new WRX 2011 thursday and I would like to know if the installation of a ...

Replace stock radio in WRX (Not STI)

Hi,

I'm gonna get my new WRX 2011 thursday and I would like to know if the installation of a nav unit in replacement of stock radio in my car (not sti) would be easy.

I'll probably go for an Avic X930BT. I want to know if everything will work with that new unit : Bluetooth (steering buttons) and my iPod using the USB plug already in place.

Will I have to buy additionnal equipment to make it work? When you buy the Avic, theres the harness, but do I need anything else?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Well I wrote a nice long post then it dispersed, so here is the short and sweet version.

Things you will need:
    Dash Kit-Needed if not using the stock radio
    Wiring Harness-Not really needed, but unless you want to cut wires...then yes
    Steering Wheel Control Unit-If you want to keep your functionality you will need this. I used the Metra Axxess and besides the confusing wire colors they use it works great(also the car wiring harness will not come with these wires normally so you will need to add them or buy one that has them)
    Plastic trim removal tool-Not 100% needed, but helps alot

To get the USB port to work you will need to run a cord to the center consul. It needs a male USB end. You could also cut the stock plug off and wire a USB port on there.

Here are a couple of links I found extremely helpful when I attempted this:

Subaru radio and radio wiring harness information Great wiring info and he also sells a harness with the steering wheel wires on it already.
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/tutori...od-thread.html Has a manual for the car. Wiring and removal info is in here.

Well good luck

Hi,

Thanks for the information, its really appreciated!

Which radio did you install? Like I said, I would like to add a Avic X930BT. With the Axxess ASWC interface, all functions on the steering are going to work properly? Bluetooth, volume, etc?

About the usb, i didnt quite understood the idea... With the X930BT, I think I might have to purchase the cable from Pioneer... how am i going to make the connection to be able to use the central port?

Thanks again!

I Installed an Alpine CDA-117 with 4 SPR-60 speakers.
    As far as the functionality of the steering wheel controls you can check on the Axxess website. Your new stereo will need Bluetooth because the WRX's is built into the stock unit. I personally don't care about Bluetooth so it is cool the the Axxess let me program those buttons to function with the head unit. I now have mute, pause, power and folder down on the steering wheel also.
    The Pioneer website says that it has a rear USB port. So you probably just need a USB cord (about 4-6 feet) that is male to male. Any cord should work, but you will have to run it through the center consul. I personally have not done this part yet but plan on it. I currently have the usb cord going into the glove box right now.

The OEM aux+USB pod in the center console does not have a standard USB "A" socket on the back.

See my post here for more information about that and several other issues for 2011 models, including options for dash kits.

Things get a little complicated if you want to use an aftermarket HU's iPod cable.

Many recent HU models (including the Pioneer AVIC-X930BT, but also Kenwoods, Sonys, and probably others) have iPod interface cables that connect to both a USB port and a 4-pin 3.5mm A/V jack coming out the rear of the HU:
    Pioneer CD-IU51V cable

(click for larger image)
    The cable's 3.5mm plug has 4 pins -- it carries both video and stereo audio (like the type used on camcorders):

(click for larger image)
    The signals typically are:
    Tip = Left audio
    Ring 1 = Right audio
    Ring 2 = Ground
    Sleeve = Video

Since the Subaru's aux jack only has 3 terminals (for stereo audio only), it wouldn't retain the video signal from your iPod.

So the easiest way to use the new HU's iPod cable is to connect it directly to the HU's rear USB and A/V inputs (the way they normally intend you to) and devise a way to have the iPod dock connector emerge into your center console (or dash cubby or glovebox). You can simply drill a hole large enough to feed the smaller end of the cable into the console.

You can instead cut a U-shaped hole branching off the side of some larger hole (such as the opening where the aux+USB pod goes, or on the faceplate of the aux+USB pod itself). This way, the diameter of the notch only needs to be as large as the diameter of the cable. Just lay the cable into the notch, then reassemble the pod and center console bin. You might want to add a rubber grommet to keep from chafing the cable on the edges of the hole.

Another option is to have the HU's 4-pin 3.5mm jack emerge into your center console (adding a 4-pin male to female extension cable, if necessary). You'll leave the OEM 3.5mm stereo jack unmodified. For a factory look, you can drill a new hole in the face of the OEM aux+USB pod, and mount the end of your HU's (or your extension cable's) 4-pole 3.5mm jack aligned behind that hole. In either case, assuming you've connected the OEM USB jack to your HU (see link in my previous post), you'll then be able to plug the HU's iPod cable into the OEM USB jack and this new 4-pin 3.5mm jack.

If your HU has a secondary rear aux input, I can provide an adapter harness to connect your OEM 3.5mm aux jack (3-pole, audio only) to the HU's secondary rear aux. E-mail me for details.

If you're really ambitious (and skilled in fine soldering), you can replace the OEM pod's 3.5mm stereo jack with a 4-pin jack, and wire that to the HU's 4-pin A/V jack. Again, you'll be able to plug the HU's iPod adapter cable to the two sockets on the aux+USB pod in your center console.

All of these last three options will also enable you to unplug the HU iPod cable's USB plug and plug in a flash drive (or any other compatible USB device) whenever you want.

Tip: Pioneer, Kenwood, and the other HU manufacturers have shorter versions of their iPod cables, intended for HUs that have the USB and 4-pole 3.5mm jacks on the front. So you might want to use one of those instead of the iPod cable with longer cables that they recommend for your HU. Check with your vendor or the manufacturer to make sure the cable you choose is the same, electrically.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CD-IU51V iPod cable.jpg   iPod cable 4-pin 3.5mm plug.jpg   AV 4-pin.jpg  
    Last edited by SVXdc; 01-08-2013 at 11:03 AM.

Hi,

Thanks for all the informations!

Got another one... For connecting harness and HU, is it possible to use Posi-Locks (instead of soldering) and Posi-Taps for tapping in factory wiring (Parking break, etc)? Here is the website of the product : Posi-Lock(R) - The Best Connectors You'll Ever Use! and here is a video of the product : ‪Overview of Posi-Lock Connectors‬‏ - YouTube

It seems really easier then soldering...for beginner like me!

Give me your inputs!

Sure you could use them. It would still be a wise idea to get a harness that runs from the car to the head unit's harness though that way you don't have to cut any wires (and it makes it a breeze to re install the old radio).

Hey,

Yeah, thats what I intend to do. I ordered a 20pin harness from SVX. I think I'm gonna use those Posi-locks to connect SVX's harness with HU harness. Way easier then soldering...

Guys, quick one...

what is the AWG for the harness ? Also, I need to tap into parking break, etc... what is the AWG of those cable as well.

Thanks

On the 20-pin radio harness (both the factory harness and my adapter), the large wires (ground and +12V battery) are 18 gauge. The smaller wires are 20ga. I don't know about the other signal wires that are elsewhere in the car (including parking brake and vehicle speed), but would guess those are 20ga.

Hey guys,

I finally installed my HU with a backup camera. I used SVXdc's harness, it really works great and was really easy to install! Here are some pictures...

Avic X930BT
    Metra ASWC
    SVXdc's Harness
    Boyo VTL300C
    Subaru USDM/CDM Bezel #66065SC130

Like everybody else, I was able to retain all the steering wheel controls, even Bluetooth and no lag at all! I installed the mic that comes with HU, since its almost impossible to use the stock one.

PhantomZ

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomZ View Post
    Hey guys,

I finally installed my HU with a backup camera. I used SVXdc's harness, it really works great and was really easy to install! Here are some pictures...

Avic X930BT
    Metra ASWC
    SVXdc's Harness
    Boyo VTL300C

Like everybody else, I was able to retain all the steering wheel controls, even Bluetooth and no lag at all! I installed the mic that comes with HU, since its almost impossible to use the stock one.

PhantomZ
    I didn't know the X930BT had rear view camera controls? Do you like the Boyo VTL300C quality? Also how do you like the Avic X930BT , are you enjoying the unit? I have read both positive and negative reviews so I am up in the air.

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomZ View Post
    Hey guys,

Avic X930BT
    Metra ASWC
    SVXdc's Harness
    Boyo VTL300C

PhantomZ
    About how much did this run you ? If you dont mind me asking? And where did you order?

btw- if u somehow cant find a subaru wiring harness, a 08+ nissan altima harness will also work. only difference is turning it upside down, the subaru one will utilize an extra black wire. booyah. :P

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast