having issue with speaker sizes 2004 sti
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on having issue with speaker sizes 2004 sti within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; I have a 2004 STI, I read that the front speakers should be 5.25". I have a 5.25" speaker and ...

Question having issue with speaker sizes 2004 sti

I have a 2004 STI, I read that the front speakers should be 5.25". I have a 5.25" speaker and it seems way too small for the opening.. there's a large gap all around the speaker. Am I missing a bezel or something? The previous owner had the speaker with only two screws in and a large gap around the speaker, so I'm guessing something is not right.

Thanks

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	speaker1.1.JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	73.5 KB 
ID:	98325
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	speaker2.2.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	69.0 KB 
ID:	98324

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

That black ring looks like a after market spacer for a 6 1/2" speaker. If you take the ring off the 5.25" speaker might fit.

Ah ok that makes sence, I'll give that a try when I get home from work. Thanks

You were right about being for a 6.5" but sadly after removing it, it stilll did not fit a 5.25 so I'll have fab up a lip that fits a 5.25 ^.-

It's pretty easy to make an MDF spacer to screw the 5.25 speaker on to. The spacer then screws into the factory screw holes.

You can even buy the spacers pre-made from a car audio place.

Just put some 6 1/2 in that beotch

Haha I was thinking that but I already have $500 jl speakers to put in. I'll look into that mdf stuff ur talking about

Googled mdf spacers. Do I want to get a pair of 6.5 ones then I can cut out a whole for a 5.25? Sorry if that seems like an obvious question but I'm not familiar with those and I wanna make sure I buy the right thing.

Thanks!

Just take the spacers off the door use them as a template. Put it over a new piece of mdf cut out the out line, then cut a 5 1/4" hole.

Ok got the front ones good, got around to removing the rear panels today and i see no speaker but i do notice a wire, is this the factory speaker wire? it was clipped behind the door, seen in the picture.

That looks like the speaker wires to me. My 2004 STI didn't come with a radio or speakers but it was already wired for them from the factory. The previous owner probably just put some speakers in the front doors and just didn't worry about the back.
    Last edited by sjcurtis; 07-24-2011 at 06:54 PM.

Thnx Curtis I'll have to see if my other set of 5.25"s will screw in and get juice from those wires

Good news is that those r in fact the factory speaker wires, so that makes that a hell of a lot easier ^^. The only thing is I assume I need a spacer ring for the rear too, the 5.25 almost fit so it looks like it was raised a inch or so the whole speaker would submerge.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.