Subaru WRX Forum banner

2011 WRX Aftermarket HU & Subwoofer

4K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  Darth Sleader 
#1 ·
Firstly, I would like to state that I do not have my car (yet). I'm told it's about 1-2 weeks out and I just couldn't wait to start upgrading.

I have already ordered:
Pioneer AVH-P3300BT double-din head unit
Pioneer CD-IU50V USB Cable for Ipod/Iphone
Metra Axxess ASWC Steering Wheel Control Interface

I already own:
10" Alpine Type-E Subwoofer

This is the first time I have ever owned a car worth putting money into, and therefore the first time I have ever done anything like this. I am going to be getting it professionally installed, but would like to save money on what I need to purchase by not buying directly from those who are installing it.

I want to buy the audio integrations sub box, but I'm being cautious as to the carpet color. It is a 2011 WRX DGM Premium hatchback, and I believe the carpet will be black. (I just prefer somebody to confirm this)

I have a decent amp that a friend is willing to spot me, so that is covered also.

Another question is about the dash kit, with the 2011 WRX and the AVH-P3300BT head unit, do I need one? And which looks more OEM, Scosche or Metra?

Any input is welcome I'll likely need any help I can get. Thanks guys

-Nick

See less See more
#3 ·
I used a scosche mount for the head unit.. you will need one if you stay with the usdm trim panel, if you go with the jdm panel (def not the less expensive option but looks factory) all you need to do is transfer the brackets from the factory head unit to the new one. I trimmed 1/4" off the scosche kit where the head unit face meets it so that it would sit flush instead of inset in the opening.

Other than that the AI enclosure is pretty sweet. I love mine, fits perfect, stays out of the way and sounds great. Your carpet in the 11 should be black. As far as I know its the only interior color option available on the wrx.

#4 ·
I think after looking I'm going to go with the jdm panel. It looks so sleek I can't resist. Do I just talk to my Subaru dealer to order it? Or is there a cheaper site I can order from online?

And thanks for the confirmation on the carpet, I am ordering my AI enclosure tonight!

I just have one more question: The Pioneer AVH-P3300BT came with a wiring harness, will that work with what I'm doing or do I need to order a vehicle specific harness?

P.S. My cars arrival date is 07/11/11. Super pumped.

Thanks all

#5 ·
The new head unit harness is designed to be connected to a vehicle specific adapter harness.. so yes you'll need one. If you're unsure on the installation might want to do some web research or take it to a local audio shop with a good reputation (stay far far away from best buy and the like).

I really like the jdm trim piece.. but I'm not as keen on spending $80+ dollars for it and unfortunately the link that was posted is just about the only place to get them. I'm sure with some deeper searching you could find other sources but likely the price isn't going to drop much.

#6 ·
Yes I am well aware that I am in need of installation help! After a couple months of researching I decided I would leave it to the pros. Thanks so much for your help by the way. I ordered the AI enclosure as well as the trim piece, came out to be $65.95 on subarupartsamerica.com. I think what made it expensive was the shipping from Japan, but now they are available directly from the US. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

#9 ·
that sucks they dont have it. I'd still like to get it anyway but its hard to justify the cost getting it from Japan. Oh well.

You guys lucked out on the 11's anyway.. your interior trim inserts aren't silver.. they're black! grrr.. I have to paint all mine :(

but, I can paint em body color (obsidian black pearl) .. still be subtle but cool. lol

#11 ·
Yeah the interior on the '11 is surprisingly nice. I was impressed by it when all the reviews I read said it was cheap looking! I love it!

Although painting it would be a fun too... You should go crazy and paint it red! ;) (joking)

I'll upload a video on YouTube once I have everything put in and show you guys how it looks and sounds. I already know it won't sound great through the camera though. :/

#12 ·
yeah finally saw one this past saturday and was really jealous of the interior trim pieces being black.. as well as the upper part of the front grill being black too. I can paint mine.. but that means I have to tear it all apart and go through the process. lol.. would have been nicer if it just came that way. I guess I could buy the pieces for the 11.. but to get em all might end up costly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.