2011 WRX Base Wagon subwoofer install?

This is a discussion on 2011 WRX Base Wagon subwoofer install? within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; 1) I bought an under the seat low profile powered sub, (Lanzar Vector VCTBS8) and am thinking of installing it ...

2011 WRX Base Wagon subwoofer install?

1) I bought an under the seat low profile powered sub, (Lanzar Vector VCTBS8) and am thinking of installing it myself, and was wondering how difficult it is getting to the sub-out (RCA) on the back of the stock base model head unit?

2)I'm asuming that there is a sub-out on this unit?

3) Possibly someone has a link to removing the face plate with a screw by screw, click, by click instructions, as I dont want to leave my signature on the dash plate.

4) I know the HU is not the best but for us old guys frequency response isn't as good as it used to be.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    3)
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Thank you for the link as it was very helpful.

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm not sure if there is a sub-out on the newer H/Us (previous MYs didn't have one). You may need to purchase a line-out converter.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    You might find what you are looking for in this thread.I'm just too lazy to read through it Stock head unit information -- pin-outs, aux inputs, and more - NASIOC
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Keep us posted on the progress of this install. I'm interested in going the same route, and don't want to use up rear cargo space to do it. Sadly, the audio system in my 2008 CR-V sounds better than my base 2011 WRX.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by steezylp View Post
    Sadly, the audio system in my 2008 CR-V sounds better than my base 2011 WRX.
    My apologies to the OP for shamelessly hijacking his thread.

Lol,you have a 2008 CRV too?I have the same car & the stereo is really nice.I guess they did that to drown out the horrible noise it makes when you attempt to accelerate.I say attempt because as you push the gas nothing happens other than a loud revving sound.I actually changed the stock HU on the CRV(for the inbuilt GPS) & kept the OEM speakers & now it sounds even better.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    My apologies to the OP for shamelessly hijacking his thread.

Lol,you have a 2008 CRV too?I have the same car & the stereo is really nice.I guess they did that to drown out the horrible noise it makes when you attempt to accelerate.I say attempt because as you push the gas nothing happens other than a loud revving sound.I actually changed the stock HU on the CRV(for the inbuilt GPS) & kept the OEM speakers & now it sounds even better.
    Heehee. I like the think of that noise as VTEC 'asserting itself'. And apologies to OP for the thread hijack. Back to subs!

Best method for 2011 WRX Sub install

The unit seems to fit under the seat fairly well however I haven't done the install yet as I'm still trying to figure out the best way to wire up the signal.
    It appears that the HU doesn't have RCA out, so what's the point of ripping out the HU to splice into the speaker connectors when you can just as easily tap into the wiring down the line? There is a T connector available that allows you to tap into the connector on the HU itself without splicing so I'm going to see how much one of them costs, but still its the same signal as what's in the speaker wire itself, so what's the point?
    I'm just amazed that OEM HU don't have sub-out as standard specification, its just so cheap to add it.
    If anyone would like to suggest something please do so.
    THX

Quote Originally Posted by steezylp View Post
    Keep us posted on the progress of this install. I'm interested in going the same route, and don't want to use up rear cargo space to do it. Sadly, the audio system in my 2008 CR-V sounds better than my base 2011 WRX.