question about guages
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on question about guages within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; I read the sticky, and a few other posts. I think I want to get 4 guages. wideband o2, boost, ...

question about guages

I read the sticky, and a few other posts.

I think I want to get 4 guages. wideband o2, boost, oil temp, oil pressure.

Am I right in getting all electrical instead of mechanical?

Are the brands defi, autometer, and prosport?

Which models look the most oem for the 08+?

And any thoughts on where to mount them. I don't want the a-pillar or clock mounts. Was thinking of the smy guage cluster, and not sure where to put the other 2.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I like aem eletrical
    278whp 286tq blouch 16g @ 17.5psi
    "My 02 wagon build" http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/everyd...gon-build.html
    Operation Iraqi Freedom x3
    WRX wagon MAFIA #68

I Support ClubWRX
    Subaru WRX STi Factory Matched Boost Gauge with White Needle -- OEM like
    As for mounting, I'd do the SMY (I did, and love it) for the first two. If you keep your steeling wheel pulled out a bit, there's plenty of room for the other 2 in between, using this -- Perrin Performance - Gauge Pod (its adjustable)
    * * PART-OUT IN PROGRESS. SEE FIRST POST. EMAIL REASONABLE OFFERS TO GREG.LOKEY@GMAIL * *

Greg

Build Thread
    ProTuned Stage 3ish '11 WRX Ltd HB (SWP) ~ 354 awhp 404 ft-lb tq on E85
    Friends don't let friends drive Mitsubishis.

I've used both electrical and mechanical gauges in the past...I have absolutely no preference and no bad experiences with either. Some gauges require a control unit (usually around $100) in addition to the gauges so do your research before pulling the trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowpr View Post
    And any thoughts on where to mount them. I don't want the a-pillar or clock mounts.
    You've ruled out the only real places to have so many gauges. Personally I think if you have more than 2 gauges the a-pillar location or clock is a must. Otherwise you're going to have a ton of information all condensed into 1 spot and 4 gauges is a lot of lights and movement in your peripheral vision while driving.

Other options would be a custom setup mounted in/on the glovebox. But that's nearly impossible to read while driving.

Or you put 1 or more in the little cubby area in front of the shifter. Also hard to read while driving.

If I were you I would just do boost and AFR with either the SMY cluster (they will need to be 52mm gauges) or else something like the Perrin thingy. Then add the oil gauges later if you still need/want them.

Last option would be to just double-sided-tape the gauges in their little holders right on your dash.

Also, check out some interesting pics and discussion about this very topic here: any gauge pod solutions for GR?? - Page 64 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com

One pic shows 4 gauges crammed in.
    Steve // 2008 Lexus IS-F // 2011 WRX hatchback (SOLD)

Thanks guys. I'm about to pull the trigger on the smy cluster. I might put 2 other guages on the outside of that like mickey mouse ears.

The Defi's are expensive. Are the prosports decent quality? Seem to be mixed reviews, but they are reasonably priced.

How are the maddad guage quality?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowpr
    The Defi's are expensive.
    Meh. The Racer series gauges don't require the controller and are less expensive than the controller-reliant gauges. Boost / EGT / Oil Temp cost me ~$550.

Gauges are one place I don't recommend cheaping out on.

Are the prosports decent quality? Seem to be mixed reviews, but they are reasonably priced.
    They have fantastic customer service, but the only reason I know about that is due to the number of people who've posted about having to send their gauges back. For what it's worth...

Prosport:

Glowshift:

If Prosport gauges are all that fits within your budget, I'd say save $$ and get the Glowshift...
    Last edited by EJ257; 05-18-2011 at 03:47 PM.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

hmm. never heard of glowshift.

the defi racers do look nice. i already have the afr coming, so i'll probablt get the boost now, and save for the other 2. (unless i lose some more of my mind.)

I had the Glowshift boost but am swapping that out for Prosport EVO boost this weekend to try something new. The glowshifts are ridiculously inexpensive (like $40 shipped) and worked fine for me. It's kinda cool to be able to change the color when you want to. I thought I would want red to match the speedo but I actually ended up using their light-ish blue during the day and a dark blue/purple at night. It's kind of gimmicky but for $40 it sure ain't bad and not a big deal to swap out later..

That brings up another question, is there any big difference between digital or analog?

I Support ClubWRX
    That brings up another question, is there any big difference between digital or analog?
    Do you prefer a digital or analog clock/watch?
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    I have the AEM digitals in my SMY, and to be honest, trying to watch the numbers makes me dizzy. It's just too hard to follow, so I find myself following the green "light needle" in the border.
    * * PART-OUT IN PROGRESS. SEE FIRST POST. EMAIL REASONABLE OFFERS TO GREG.LOKEY@GMAIL * *

Greg

Build Thread
    ProTuned Stage 3ish '11 WRX Ltd HB (SWP) ~ 354 awhp 404 ft-lb tq on E85
    Friends don't let friends drive Mitsubishis.

guess i'll stick to analog then.

anyone know good sites that have decent prices?

First do a bunch of searching for the gauges that you like most. Then hit ebay, vendors, etc. looking for the best deal. For Prosport's I've bought stuff right off their own site. They've had some sales and you can find some coupon codes to get 10% on a regular basis. I used something like "rx7" to get my discount last time.

For everything else I've just got them off ebay. Find the cheapest BIN. Some of those deals can't be beat.

Mach V has prosport standard series on sale for cheap. just got one a few weeks ago in green.
    Noah | Bugeye Mafia #301

02 MBP WRX Wagon "Annabelle"

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post

They [Prosport] have fantastic customer service, but the only reason I know about that is due to the number of people who've posted about having to send their gauges back.

I wouldn't say fantastic service, but they haven't given me any trouble on my returns. My EGT and mechanical boost gauges work fine, but their electrical oil pressure gauge seems to only work for about 500-1000 miles before it starts screwing up.. if I have to pay return shipping one more time I will have basically paid for the gauge twice.

Makes me feel I would have been better off buying a more expensive gauge in the first place.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast