question about guages - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 25 of 25

This is a discussion on question about guages within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; Well I ordered the gauges. I got all defi red racers. I received the temp and pressure gauges, and just ...

  1. #16
    Registered User shadowpr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    TX, NY
    Posts
    1,582
    Well I ordered the gauges. I got all defi red racers. I received the temp and pressure gauges, and just need to wait for the boost to get back in stock.

    My new question is, do I need a sandwhich adapter (I think that's what it's called) in order to get both the oil temp and pressure gauges to work?

    How difficult is it to install a o2 wideband and gauge? What about a boost?

    How should I go about connecting the electrical for all of them?

    I'm sort of thinking that I might let a shop do all of this, but if it's not hard, i'll save myself the money.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #17
    Master Baiter EJ257's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    On a stream bank somewhere
    Posts
    19,733
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowpr
    My new question is, do I need a sandwhich adapter (I think that's what it's called) in order to get both the oil temp and pressure gauges to work?
    Sandwich Adapter
    Galley Plugs

    Your choice. Some sandwich adapters have been known to leak.

    Quote Originally Posted by shadowpr
    How difficult is it to install a o2 wideband and gauge?
    Does your downpipe have a secondary bung?

    Quote Originally Posted by shadowpr
    What about a boost?
    Quite simple.

    Quote Originally Posted by shadowpr
    How should I go about connecting the electrical for all of them?
    Depends how many gauges and where you're mounting them. I have mine in a clock pod, and I tapped the clock wire for power.

    Quote Originally Posted by shadowpr
    I'm sort of thinking that I might let a shop do all of this, but if it's not hard, i'll save myself the money.
    DIY
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

    Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

    "Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

    UNYSOC

  4. #18
    Registered User shadowpr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    TX, NY
    Posts
    1,582
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257
    Sandwich Adapter
    Galley Plugs

    Your choice. Some sandwich adapters have been known to leak.
    I thought I could only use 1 sensor with a galley plug?



    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257
    Does your downpipe have a secondary bung?
    I have no idea. I'm still using the stock downpipe right now.


    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257
    Depends how many gauges and where you're mounting them. I have mine in a clock pod, and I tapped the clock wire for power.
    Going to be running 4 gauges, all near teh instrument cluster. Is it safe to tap into another line with that many gauges?

  5. #19
    Master Baiter EJ257's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    On a stream bank somewhere
    Posts
    19,733
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowpr
    I thought I could only use 1 sensor with a galley plug?
    One per.

    On older MYs, there's one on top of the engine under the I/C and one behind the alternator.

    Quote Originally Posted by shadowpr
    I have no idea. I'm still using the stock downpipe right now.
    Have a shop weld the bung in for you; the instruction manual will tell you how far back to place the sensor (my LC-1 came with a weldable bung).
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

    Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

    "Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

    UNYSOC

  6. #20
    Registered User shadowpr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    TX, NY
    Posts
    1,582
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257
    One per.

    On older MYs, there's one on top of the engine under the I/C and one behind the alternator.
    That might be a better way to go then. Do I have to buy any adapters for that, or is it a simple install?

    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257
    Have a shop weld the bung in for you; the instruction manual will tell you how far back to place the sensor (my LC-1 came with a weldable bung).
    Ok. I'll let a shop set that one up.


    Thanks for all the help you've been giving me.

  7. #21
    Master Baiter EJ257's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    On a stream bank somewhere
    Posts
    19,733
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowpr
    That might be a better way to go then. Do I have to buy any adapters for that, or is it a simple install?
    You need to buy a galley plug. They're like $10/each.

    Pressure behind the alternator, temp below the I/C.

    Quote Originally Posted by shadowpr
    Ok. I'll let a shop set that one up.
    The shop only has to do the welding. Do the install yourself.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

    Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

    "Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

    UNYSOC

  8. #22
    Registered User shadowpr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    TX, NY
    Posts
    1,582
    Well I got the sensors in today. What a pain that was. The one under the IC just didn't want to go in. Finally got it in, and tightened everything down the best I could.

    Tomorrow or friday I'll be running in the wires.

    How can I wire 4 gauges for power? Is there a way to give them their own fuse, or wire them into something else so they turn on when the car does?

  9. #23
    Registered User shadowpr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    TX, NY
    Posts
    1,582
    Got everything installed and wired up. Was having trouble with the gauges dimming when I turned on the radio since I tapped into those wires for power.

    Ended up fixing the problem by just not connecting the defi white wires to anything. Just wanted to add that in case someone else runs into this problem.

  10. #24
    Registered User patrick4588's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    South GA
    Posts
    180
    post pics

  11. #25
    Registered User shadowpr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    TX, NY
    Posts
    1,582
    will do. Just want to shave the smy cluster a bit so i can angle the gauges the way i want.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •