Aftermarket Bluetooth Mic Location
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Aftermarket Bluetooth Mic Location within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; Just installed a Pioneer FH-P8000BT stereo in my car. Really easy install! Got a noticeable boost in bass and sound ...

Aftermarket Bluetooth Mic Location

Just installed a Pioneer FH-P8000BT stereo in my car. Really easy install! Got a noticeable boost in bass and sound quality! Still not where I want it to be, but you gotta start somewhere.

I wasn't sure what to do about the bluetooth mic. Any tips on where to place it to get good sound and looks? I had heard that on the dash or rearview mirror have great sound, but I have no idea how to route it to there while hiding the wire.

Any tips?
    2011 Subaru Impreza WRX Premium Sedan

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Unfortunately, I've never installed an aftermarket bluetooth mic but I would suggest mounting it onto your steering wheel column? Or perhaps tucking the the wire along the A pillar up onto the sun visor? Keep us posted on your results!
    2011 WRX DGM Limited Hatch
    Stink-Eye Mob #408

Cobb AP Stage 1, AEM CAI, SPT CBE, Tint, Red Tail Overlays, V1 hardwire, RA Mudflaps, STI STS, HT Auto Front Lip

I like the idea of going up the A-pillar but I'm not sure how I would do that and hide the wire...

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffdill View Post
    I like the idea of going up the A-pillar but I'm not sure how I would do that and hide the wire...

Remove the A-pillar molding, run the wire, then reinstall the molding over the wire.

"Supreme Subaphile Extraordinairre" ninefourteener's Avatar
    I have the Pioneer P-9800BT, and I used a small piece of double-sided tape and mounted it right on top of the steering column.
    2006 Subaru WRX-Thread: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine-modifications/165158-ninfourteeners-progress-thread-pics.html
    1978 Subaru BRAT-Thread: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine...ss-thread.html
    2007 Subaru B9Tribeca Ltd (PSM)........1994 Subaru SVX LSi(SOLD)
    WRX 12 sec drag (vs. late model Camaro SS):http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lw0vWdD2cjU
    WRX track racing (catching a stg.2 WRX): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mELeSD1Mi08
    Co-Founder/retired Admin-www.slcsubaru.com

How do you get the wire to come out of the radio slot without looking ridiculous though? I couldn't see any way to route it out the back, and I don't want to remove the whole dash for something small like this.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    You can route it out the back and have it come out anywhere you want. The easiest way would probably be to route the wire to the left, then downward to where it comes out above the gas pedal underneath the dash, then route it where you want it to go behind the dash from there.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame
    You can route it out the back and have it come out anywhere you want. The easiest way would probably be to route the wire to the left, then downward to where it comes out above the gas pedal underneath the dash, then route it where you want it to go behind the dash from there.
    I routed my V1 hardwire cable this way, and up the A-Pillar next to my rearview; it's not difficult.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I decided to re-use factory location, inside interior light cluster between mirror and sunroof. Works pretty good. Remove driver-side A-pillar cover, bottom half of the driver-side dash, driver-side visor and then light cluster itself. A little disassembly and you can move OEM mic out of the way and utilize some good double-sided foam tape.
    "At dawn they sleep..."

GFB
    Easiest way to get the wire out is to go out the back of the stereo, then across the top of your pedal box (zip tie it to keep it out of the way of your pedal bits) then up the side of the dash to where the A pillar meets the dash. Depending on where you put the mic on the headliner/rearview, tuck the excess wire above the headliner (there is a gap between the windshield glass that about a quarter inch wide)

pioneer mic's work best at the top of the A pillar aimed toward the driver. I used 3m stuff and stuck mine to the windshield in the far upper left corner. I popped the cluster surround out and ran the wire over the top of the cluster and up the A pillar where it pokes out at the top and clips into the mount stickied to the windshield. Works great.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Mine is mounted off the headliner near the rear view mirror. Seems to work okay. Ran the wire behind the a-pillar and the headliner.
    ...Rob.
    MMVI WRX - VF43 Airboy Tuned @ 3500'

Quote Originally Posted by GFB View Post
    Easiest way to get the wire out is to go out the back of the stereo, then across the top of your pedal box (zip tie it to keep it out of the way of your pedal bits) then up the side of the dash to where the A pillar meets the dash. Depending on where you put the mic on the headliner/rearview, tuck the excess wire above the headliner (there is a gap between the windshield glass that about a quarter inch wide)
    This is nearly exactly how I did mine. My excess wire is just bundled and wire-tied up under the dash. This is a very easy wire run; be sure to pop off the plastic cover to the left of the fuse box. The pillar trim cover is held on by one screw (under the little square cap that says SRS Airbag) and a few clips. This mic (Kenwood model) has a little metal bracket that I just clipped onto the pillar trim- no glue/tape/sticky goo of any kind. The mic is small enough not to interfere with the visor, and sounds great (so I'm told!)

Here's a pic:
    Last edited by Darth Sleader; 08-19-2011 at 09:04 AM.
    2008 4-Door WRX in Dark Gray Metallic

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Sleader View Post
    This is nearly exactly how I did mine. My excess wire is just bundled and wire-tied up under the dash. This is a very easy wire run; be sure to pop off the plastic cover to the left of the fuse box. The pillar trim cover is held on by one screw (under the little square cap that says SRS Airbag) and a few clips. This mic (Kenwood model) has a little metal bracket that I just clipped onto the pillar trim- no glue/tape/sticky goo of any kind. The mic is small enough not to interfere with the visor, and sounds great (so I'm told!)

Here's a pic:
    Hmmm....seems like it would be too close to the window. No complaints of wind noise when the window is open and you're cruising?

I'd go with steering column or stock location (map light housing).
    * * PART-OUT IN PROGRESS. SEE FIRST POST. EMAIL REASONABLE OFFERS TO GREG.LOKEY@GMAIL * *

Greg

Build Thread
    ProTuned Stage 3ish '11 WRX Ltd HB (SWP) ~ 354 awhp 404 ft-lb tq on E85
    Friends don't let friends drive Mitsubishis.

Quote Originally Posted by lokey View Post
    Hmmm....seems like it would be too close to the window. No complaints of wind noise when the window is open and you're cruising?

I'd go with steering column or stock location (map light housing).
    To be honest, I'm note sure I've ever used HF with the window open! I've had this in for 3 weeks or so and right now it's windows closed/ AC weather around here! I'll know for sure in the next month though. The good news is, if I do decide to reroute, there's plenty of wire, and I didn't use any adhesive anywhere other than a few 1" pieces of electrical tape along the wire in the pillar trim. I will report. Maybe I'll do some test calls...

Jer
    2008 4-Door WRX in Dark Gray Metallic

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast