2011 WRX Audio - Parking brake wire in aftermarket head unit shorts computer?

This is a discussion on 2011 WRX Audio - Parking brake wire in aftermarket head unit shorts computer? within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; Hi all: I went in to pick up a new head unit from CarToys today (AVIC Z120BT). Long story short ...

2011 WRX Audio - Parking brake wire in aftermarket head unit shorts computer?

Hi all:

I went in to pick up a new head unit from CarToys today (AVIC Z120BT). Long story short they started giving me some story about that since there is something electronic in the parking brake, they can't just hook up the wire since they claimed they shorted out 3 computers in the car doing something similar with 2011 Subarus, and so to install it they would either need to install a remote start or something to create a new ground. I'm not particularly fluent in all of this, but something seemed fishy. Does anyone know if these guys are full of it? I added up the part sheet they drew up and one with Amazon (minus the bogus ground kit) and including the "free install" they were $600 up on Amazon.

Thanks guys.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Registered User 2011REXRoyalBlu's Avatar
    wow . i will be following this

You should run away from that shop. There is no need to install a remote start system. A car security / remote start system is a complicated install, and this is purely an attempt to extract more money from you.

Talk to some other shops who have worked on Imprezas and Foresters.

New Legacys and Outbacks do have an electronically-controlled parking brake (pushbutton -- no handle).

But in Imprezas, the parking brake switch wiring on 2011s is the same as 2008-2010 models. See attached PDF.

Yes, it is connected to the "Body Integrated Unit" module, but people have wired the parking brake switch line to aftermarket HUs. The Subaru OEM Kenwood Navi HU uses it with no additional external components.

Provided you don't try to watch video DVDs while driving, you can skip using that input. Google "parking brake bypass" and your HU model. You might want to include a disable switch, if you think police might ever ask you to prove your HU can't show videos while driving.
    Last edited by SVXdc; 03-07-2011 at 08:14 AM.

Thanks SVXdc. I had a feeling they were trying to jerk me around. Much appreciated response. They actually pissed me off enough the other day that now I'm going to do the install myself.

Without starting a new topic, the idea of a disable switch is intriguing to me. To be honest, I don't really care about videos while driving, but I do want to be able to work the nav while driving. I don't know much about the bypass as everything I've looked into about it for the AVIC Z120BT says I'm supposed to move the mute wire over one space in the harness and then ground 3 wires together (I forget which ones). Would the disable switch be as simple as grabbing a switch from radio shack and installing it between the harness and the ground...

[Brutal EE diagram..]
    _/_ (open) would be no bypass
    ___ (closed) would be bypassed

Thanks fellas.