Installing component speakers in a TR?

This is a discussion on Installing component speakers in a TR? within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; Hey all, So, maybe a basic question for some, but def a brain teaser for me. I know that I ...

Installing component speakers in a TR?

Hey all,

So, maybe a basic question for some, but def a brain teaser for me. I know that I want to upgrade to some better speakers that have a good range with crisp highs, for example the Alpine type S or R. They are components with the separate tweeters. Now, in a TR, my guess is that one of the things they left out were factory tweeters.. I see a little spot by the door handle that looks like a speaker, but I know nothings behind there. My question is, is there at least wiring back there if I wanted to place tweeters in that spot, or would I need to do something complicated like splice into the wiring harness? I cant be the only person who has a TR and wants great sound.... someone please help!

Also just as info, my current speaker set up is all stock except the head unit, which is a pioneer 3200dvd
    2006 WRB WRX Sedan @ Stage 2

www.grahamsnodgrass.com

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Keep in mind your components will have crossovers with them 90% of the time. You'll want to run your wires that go from your head unit (normally only one set, and they are spliced into both the mids/highs) into the Xover. The Xover will 'split' the signal into highs/mids for you. If that is still misleading I can draw a diagram for you a bit later. Pretty watered down explanation but that might help clear up some confusion.

Normally the systems that run individual 'channels' from the headunit to each the highs/mids/lows are higher quality systems. Most mid level (still good) systems run one channel for each side and split it using the Xover.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

Actually the type S doesnt come with crossovers but the type Rs do. Since I wont be running an amp, Im not sure I will need anything like the type R...

What I mainly need to know is this though: Is there already wiring behind the door for the tweeters that the regular WRX's and Limiteds came with? Or is it just empty space? If the only wires are the ones going to the 6 1/2" speakers, then it seems like less of a headache to just settle for full range speakers and skip the tweeter idea... I was just curious if anyone with a TR has already taken their doors off and figured this out yet

www.grahamsnodgrass.com

I Support ClubWRX
    Don't bother with coaxial speakers in the front door, get components. The OE tweeter location is garbage in terms of sound quality, and you shouldn't put your aftermarket tweeters there anyway; you want them mounted in the A-Pillar or kick panels (kick panels being the easiest install). Mine are mounted in the kick panels:

With component speakers, you're really going to want to run an amplifier. You can pick up a decent 2-channel amp for under $150 new (a few places have a 110W JL amp for $130-150). Take an extra month or two saving up money and run an amp.
    Last edited by EJ257; 02-28-2011 at 02:47 PM.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Oh wow, yours looks nice! Thanks for the reply. So I take it then, new wiring would just need to be run from the tweeters to the back of the headunit and somehow added in to the existing wiring harness?

www.grahamsnodgrass.com

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham46
    Oh wow, yours looks nice! Thanks for the reply. So I take it then, new wiring would just need to be run from the tweeters to the back of the headunit and somehow added in to the existing wiring harness?
    Your wiring depends on how you set them up.

My crossovers are mounted in my trunk, and wires are run through the cabin.

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    +1 I fully agree with everything.

Depending on space, I normally just stick the Xovers in the door. Easier to run cables.
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log

So I take it the tweeters will have their own wires that go directly to the head unit? They dont just connect to the woofers and get their power through them?

www.grahamsnodgrass.com

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham46
    So I take it the tweeters will have their own wires that go directly to the head unit? They dont just connect to the woofers and get their power through them?
    A H/U alone may not put out enough power to properly supply the components. For example, my Alpine Type-Xs draw 75W RMS, and my H/U puts out 14W-22W RMS.

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    Tweeters will normally come off of your 'front' channel. Your 'front' channel goes into your Xover, and it spits out two different sets of signals, one high for tweeters, one low for door woofers. Normally wire harnesses come off in front L/R, back L/R, and some other funny stuff. There aren't designated hook ups for tweeters.

The hu will amp the signal a bit, but you may want an external amp. I would give it a go with the head unit, and then if you want more you can always add the amp later.

...There are many different ways to do it. My next system I will use the three preouts (RCA jacks off of HU) and split it up to front highs, front mid/lows, and sub. I will use the hu/jbl ms8 amp to power rear speakers for a bit of fill as well. It all depends on how you set it up.
    2011 STi Build Log

Thank you both for all the info

www.grahamsnodgrass.com