2011 WRX Head Unit - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on 2011 WRX Head Unit within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; Originally Posted by dluk08 Yeap, pulled it out today (along with some trim paint) and moved it around. It seems ...

Quote Originally Posted by dluk08 View Post
    Yeap, pulled it out today (along with some trim paint) and moved it around. It seems that it is just in front of the vents that there is a problem. I tried the phone there without the clip as well and it was indeed a suspect connection. So I am returning the Clip, keeping the mount and getting this mount by Panavise.

View InDash Installation Image for Part Number:75134-208

I have tested the phone in this location, and shockingly moving it around 6" to the passenger side makes all the difference.
    Blower motors can produce statically charged air to come out of your vents (very small amount), especially with a computerized climate controlled HVAC system.
    WWW.YOUTUBE.COM/PALLBEARERMUSIC

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by PALLBEARER WRX View Post
    Blower motors can produce statically charged air to come out of your vents (very small amount), especially with a computerized climate controlled HVAC system.
    So that statically charged air is ruining my BT signal?

I can't return the clip because I connected the mount (using screws through pre-drilled holes.) So my plan is to use about a 4" piece of spray painted plexi glass to extend the phone away from the vents slightly.
    NO MORE TORQUE STEER!!!

So that statically charged air is ruining my BT signal?

I can't return the clip because I connected the mount (using screws through pre-drilled holes.) So my plan is to use about a 4" piece of spray painted plexi glass to extend the phone away from the vents slightly.
    I'd say it is if the signal is disrupted in front of the vents and nowhere else. Let me know what you come up with, I'll be mounting my Droid X eventually. Also, what kind of BT headset do you have?

Quote Originally Posted by PALLBEARER WRX View Post
    I'd say it is if the signal is disrupted in front of the vents and nowhere else. Let me know what you come up with, I'll be mounting my Droid X eventually. Also, what kind of BT headset do you have?
    My 2011 has factory installed BT so it runs through the HU.
    NO MORE TORQUE STEER!!!

Gotcha.

I just replaced my HU with Kenwood KDC-x993 I ripped out of my TT before I sold it. It's a single DIN, looks decent and even though I would have preferred a 2DIN I didn't feel like dumping $600++ on a decent unit. I use my phone as a GPS and backup for Sirius/XM and other streaming stuff so larger screen wasn't much of a consideration either. My biggest thing was that I wanted to load 40+GB of music and Kenwood has no problems seeing it and playing it in any in any order I like. Color and screens for eXcelon line are highly customizable so you can match Subie color scheme nicely.
    "At dawn they sleep..."

U.S. Combat Veteran (3ID) Stu_Gotti's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Pics?
    Clarke Tuned | Cobb SRI | Cobb DP | Nameless Mid-Pipe & Axleback | PW TMIC | DW65C | NGK2309 | SPT STS | RA Flaps w/Blue | Pro-Clip | KB Black Aluminum Shift Knob | KB Front & Rear Shifter Bushings | 18x9.5 +40 Gunmetal Rota D wrapped in 265/35ZR-18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 | 24mm Whiteline Front Sway & 22mm Rear | Kartboy Front & Rear Endlinks | Yakima Roof Rack Complete System w/ Highroller Bike Rack & Yakima Fairing | 35% Tint | Full Sound Dead | Blue Prova Rearview

Attachment 96153Attachment 96154Attachment 96155Attachment 96152
    Quote Originally Posted by Stu_Gotti View Post
    Pics?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMAG0060.jpg   IMAG0058.jpg   IMAG0065.jpg   IMAG0062.jpg  
    "At dawn they sleep..."

So I finally pulled the trigger and bought a HU. Sony DSXS300 BTX

I was wondering if anyone had installed the din pocket seen here Clicky.

Is there anything else I will need to complete the installation? I've bought the steering wheel control adapter and the head unit itself.

Thanks for the help!
    NO MORE TORQUE STEER!!!

What about wiring harness?

So I finally pulled the trigger and bought a HU. Sony DSXS300 BTX

I was wondering if anyone had installed the din pocket seen here Clicky.

Is there anything else I will need to complete the installation? I've bought the steering wheel control adapter and the head unit itself.

Thanks for the help!
    "At dawn they sleep..."

you need the dash kit, wiring harness, steering wheel button harness. There is no need for an antenna adapter. I just bought a sony xav62bt double din, and will be installing tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by sl8anic View Post
    What about wiring harness?
    Ordered....Wiring Harness

Now where can I get a decent dash kit? I really like the idea behind the din pocket with the door but I am not sure it will fit.
    NO MORE TORQUE STEER!!!

You have two options: Metra 99-8902 or Scosche SU2027B, people have used both. Search for reviews for both, I ended-up going with Scosche (see pics). I had to tweak it a little to bring pocket to the upper slot.

Here's a view of what Metra kit looks like (with my HU funny enough): Customer Image Gallery for Metra 99-8902 Single DIN Radio Install Kit for '08 Subaru Impreza and WRX

Ordered....Wiring Harness

Now where can I get a decent dash kit? I really like the idea behind the din pocket with the door but I am not sure it will fit.
    "At dawn they sleep..."

I got the 2011 WRX 5-Door. I replaced the head unit with a Kenwood LCD unit which fits in beautifully and an easy install. I suggest the Kenwood stuff. The interface is pretty good but what I love is the Garmin system built in.
    The other thing which I suggest to do which I did is a Subwoofer cuz these stock systems dont give up much bass. I first tried a 12" by Hertz. It was sick but it was too big so now I went for an 8" Hertz that puts out 600W and fits nicely.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12