Subaru WRX Forum banner

Car Audio Ideas...I don't know much about it.

3K views 32 replies 8 participants last post by  Zwalk 
#1 · (Edited)
I was looking at the 10" Slim Boss Bass1500's Underseats, apparently they fit the WRX under the seat ('09) and sound great.

I was under the impression I need a 2 ohm amp, which will easily fit under my right passenger seat.

Can I do this and keep my stock head unit or am I looking at needing a new head unit too?

This should cost me about $200 before labor...

Heres the sub:
Boss BASS1500 Reviews

If someone wouldn't mind helping em find an amp, I want them to fit under the seats as I need the cargo room.

Does anyone know what this kind of labor runs as well?

#2 ·
You'll need a line out converter to grab signal from the existing speaker output. They are pretty cheap. That way you can keep the stocker radio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 ·
Is that something I can expect a car audio place to have on hand? I want to purchase the amp as well as teh sub and just bring it in and have them put it int eh car if i can

#4 ·
Oh yeah they should have them. I'm pretty sure even walmart carries them. They run about $10-$15. It just converts high level signal from the speaker wire to low level signal with small adjusters to fine tune.

#5 ·
Perfect, the guy put some aftermarkets in the car, so the speakers sound aite, like enough to hurt my ears at full volume and they sound good the bass just sucks cus the stock sub is like 6.5...

What u think labor would run me for installing the sub & amp and getting ti hooked up to my stock head unit

#7 ·
Hmm, maybe I'll do some research on that, I don't wanna void my warranty tho either

off topic btw, how far is Gilbert from Flagstaff?

#8 ·
If there are aftermarket speakers already installed then the coverage on the radio would already be gone.

Rest assured it won't void the whole thing.

#14 ·
I was under the impression it would need an amplifier... If it doesnt I guess I'm golden?

They sound sub par? I just want more of a bass kick.

#21 ·
Sub par? Compared to an actual sub woofer, yes, but it does the job of filling in the low range in most music. Although, if you look at the reviews, about 30% of them quit working entirely within six months. I have had the BASS600 8-Inch for years and they don't seem to have the problem of frying like the newer models.

Better than the factory unit? Well, that thing is trash, literally.. I have thrown three OEM Subaru subs in the trash. You'd be better off taking a dump in a paper sack and leaving it under your seat than using the factory sub woofer.

#16 ·
Fits under the seats?

And how much did the setup cost you

#17 ·
& the 10" boss under seat one would sound infinitely better than the stock sub woulnt it...

#18 ·
i went to crutchfield.com and bought a full stereo. Kenwood headunit(cause it has the most RMS watts @ 22) and the headunit came with 2 kenwood speakers that kinda suck but way better then factory. Then I bought 2 Kicker 2 way speakers and em getting another set to replace rear kenwoods and a JL powerd sub 10". ONLY for $450 I got everything installed myself. And sounds GREAT but should have bought 2 sets of Kicker speakers cause they R AMAZING for the price. Buy a pair and get the second 50% off i think still. And they match up ur car with what fits

#19 ·
Do the subs fit under the seats tho, like it's dumb but I'm trying to be space conscious because i need room for snowboards and whatnot.
If they fit under the seat I'll seriously look into it, how is that headunit by the way, it's not crap is it? I hate ****ty headunits they look ugly lol

#22 ·
Anyone have a good alternative under seat sub then...maybe I'll just get a box

#23 ·
The Boss BASS series are the alternative under the seat subs. They're cheap, and AFIK they're about the only thing that will actually fit under the seat.

The problem is, all of the newer ones fry. You can search "Boss BASS subwoofer" on amazon.com and read the reviews. The BASS600 model that I got doesn't seem to have the protection circuit issues that apparently all of the newer ones have. I paid $90 with free shipping when I got it a couple of years ago. Looks like people have realized that all of the newer ones are frying now, because it's listed at $150 now.

The Infinity Basslink is a good self powered unit that has decent sound for it's price, but once again, it won't fit under your seat.

#24 ·
Oh ok, so how do you feel about those bass 600's? Im not looking to blow womens clothes off with my bass, I came from a volvo premium sound system which was all bose, like 2 mounted 6" or 8" subs in the back I just want it to sound good. Right now there is no low bass at all in my music unless its a kick, so like no filler

#25 ·
That's what it does, filler. It will sound like crap for about the first week while it breaks in. As long as you don't turn the gain up too much right off the bat and just go easy on it for about two weeks, then really take the time to dial in all the settings just right it does a wonderful job of filling in the low frequencies.

After I added an Alpine PDX-4.100 amp to drive my other speakers I found that the BASS600 struggles to keep up with the rest of the system, but it still sounds a hell of a lot better with it than without.

#26 ·
as said, the boss's like to die, consistently according to reviews.

Have you considered doing a fiberglass custom enclosure over your spare tire? I've seen it done where you can keep the tire, even - and it doesn't protrude into the cabin at all, so you keep all your cargo space.

Just another thought besides underseat.

#27 ·
#30 ·
Im considering those perfect fits they look awesome, maybe 2 12" alpines, or 2 10" alpines, not sure yet...I feel like If I'm gonna have that much bass tho I'm gonna need a speaker upgrade it'll be a big project.

I'll also prolly have to cut my floor mat, I have those rubber floormats, and they sit on plastic in the back, its pretty havy duty, but it fits flush with the inside of the trunk, so teh subs will essentially lock it in there

#33 ·
I think I might save a bit, get one of those perfect fits, throw a 12 in there, and then I'm gonna need to find an amp and a spot to put it in

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.