Subaru WRX Forum banner

Slim subwoofer advice?

7K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  Rambo 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I was given a nice Pioneer head unit to replace my stock unit in my bugeye, and I was thinking about adding a subwoofer when I get the stereo installed. I don't need a huge 12" sub eating up space in my trunk (I regularly fill the whole trunk on road trips and such), so I was wondering if there were any decent slim subs out there that fit under the seat. I've heard the OEM Subaru one is worthless, but are there any good ones out there?

Also, since I'll be going from a double-din setup to a single-din unit, what do people use to fill the gap? I know Subarugenuineparts.com sells a din tray off a Forester that has a nice fold-down cover. I was thinking about moving the OEM clock down there and adding switches next to the clock for extra driving lights. Then the cover could neatly keep things hidden when I didn't need them.

#3 ·
#4 ·
I have the Boss Audio BASS600, paid $90 on amazon.com. It's decent for the price, but if you amp your door speakers it can't quite keep up.

As far as the gap in the dash, I installed a standard pocket I got from a car audio store somewhere. I keep my mp3 hard drive in the pocket.

#6 ·
Awesome, thanks.

My budget is maybe $150 total (this is for just speakers, already got the HU). I listen to quite a bit of music, but would rather put my money into go faster bits, and am not interested in sacrificing trunk space. The stock speakers aren't terrible, IMO (I have heard FAR, FAR worse OEM units), but I have noticed an almost total lack of bass.

That Boss Audio unit looks great. I'd seen that before, but was wary since I hadn't heard of the brand. I wouldn't mind piecing a system together, I just haven't found a sub, enclosure, and amp for cheaper than the all-in-ones. If I had the parts, though, I could certainly make it all work.

#7 ·
Rambo said:
My budget is maybe $150 total.
I wouldn't mind piecing a system together, I just haven't found a sub, enclosure, and amp for cheaper than the all-in-ones.
That Boss Audio unit looks great. I'd seen that before, but was wary since I hadn't heard of the brand. If I had the parts, though, I could certainly make it all work.
Unless you shop used, you're not going to make your budget piecing together.

For an all-in-one, Infinity BassLink will be a better buy. It's a bit more expensive than the BOSS, but it's worth the extra cost.

Rambo said:
I listen to quite a bit of music, but would rather put my money into go faster bits, and am not interested in sacrificing trunk space. The stock speakers aren't terrible, IMO (I have heard FAR, FAR worse OEM units), but I have noticed an almost total lack of bass.
The problem with the OE stereo is the lack of power to the speakers. The H/U will give a bit more power to them, and will clean up the sound a bit. An aftermarket amplifier would do even more. Give the H/U and sub a try; if you're still not satisfied, then pick up a 2-channel amp and a set of 6.5" components for the front doors.

#8 ·
Infinity BassLink would sound better.. but it will also cost twice as much, and it's not going to fit under the seat.

I would still upgrade the front door speakers. The OEM speakers in my car had trouble with highs and didn't sound clean at all. I got my Infinity Reference 6.5" coax for $40 shipped.

#9 ·
The OEM speakers can't handle my upgraded HU. They crackle very easily

#10 ·
If you plan to amplify them and want to build your own box, there are a few that will work under the seat.

Everything below is reported to function in a .25 cu. ft. box, which is about the max space that we have.

Pioneer makes both an 8" and 10" shallow-mount sub. I just ordered the 8" but it has not arrived.

Elemental Designs make the SQ10. $70 plus shipping, but they are out of stock for now.

Tang Band (a good brand, just not well-known outside of audio circles) makes a 10" that has been used by a lot of audiophiles, and they recently released an 8" version as well. I was going to buy it but I got a smokin' deal on the Pioneer. They can be bought from Partsexpress.com

Dayton also makes a shallow fit, but I have not heard much about them. (Partsexpress has them)

The Kenwood ones supposedly sound great, but they need a box that is bigger than what will fit under our seats.

#11 ·
So I ended up getting a barely-used OEM sub out of an '07 for $40 off Criagslist. It will tide me over for now until I get something nicer. I haven't gotten the HU installed yet, so I'll see how the OEM speakers hold up to the increased power. If they don't, then I'll upgrade all of those, upgrade my swaybars and a couple other performance items, the get a real sub later on. :p

I don't really have the workspace to build a sub enclosure myself. I looked at that Basslink, though, and I think one of those might be in my future. It won't eat up too much trunk space... :rolleyes:

#18 ·
This is one of the subs I am looking at, did you put it in the trunk? Would you care to post a pic or two of it?

The other one I am looking at is a JL Audio 12W3V3 12" (not a shallow sub)
Amazon.com: JL AUDIO 12W3V3 SUBWOOFER 12" SVC SUB: Electronics

I'm not sure how the enclosure sizes would compare. I'm planning on building a custom box to fit into the trunk (never done it before but I have a coworker who has before).

Also not sure how the sound compares between the two.

#13 ·
The Infinity Basslink was the preferred choice in the early 350z crowd. You could hide that thing behind the seats within the car frame and still get decent sound. It was around $200 new IIRC.

I understand your ok-ness with the stock speakers but noticing a lack of bass. Personally I believe that just getting better speakers for the doors would improve sound enough for you to be ok. Especially since you have a new HU. You still won't have big bass but you will have more full sound and "some" bass.

If that's not good enough then IMO the only option is an amp + sub in a box. You can get them so that it's easy to disconnect and remove from the car if you need the space. So although it may take up space in the rear...it comes out easy and you can leave it at home when you know you'll need room.

#14 ·
Thanks for all the responses. I got the OEM sub installed (still have the old HU in there too), and that easily overpowers the stock HU. I was very surprised at how punchy that little thing actually is. The gain is set at about halfway, but I'll definitely have to dial it down for now.

I probably will pick up one of those Basslinks eventually, but for now, I think I'm good. It would be nice to hack the gain control and relocate the potentiometer to somewhere more convienent. As it is, the amp adjustments are located right by the plug to the sub, requiring removal of the sub for any real adjustment. :(

#17 ·
Yeah, it really sucks. You literally have to remove the sub to adjust it; then put it all back in, test it, take it out, rinse, lather, repeat... I'm seriously thinking about desoldering them and moving them to some discreet place on the dash.

I installed the Pioneer HU last week. Since I was given the HU, I had to buy the Subaru-side wiring harness and the Pioneer-side wiring harness and solder those together. Of course I used heat-shrink tube to prevent shorts and look tidy. After that, everything was plug and play. It has a USB port on the back, so I bought an extension cord, ran that to the elbow storage box, then put an iPod in there. The USB port is still usable for flash drives and such. I bought the Forester DIN pocket, drilled out the stereo brackets, and got everything installed. It looks great. I'll post a picture here shortly. Great thing is, I'm only out $60 for everything.

#16 ·
I put a Boss bass1200 in my wrx last week. Keep in mind my front and rear speakers are amped, but damn it can overpower the speakers on anything but the most bass-thumping songs.

It's big enough that the rear passenger loses some foot space, so the 6" would probably be the best option for complete stealth. But for not sacrificing trunk space, the 1200 is awesome.

#19 ·
jeffdill said:
The other one I am looking at is a JL Audio 12W3V3 12" (not a shallow sub)
Solid choice. I have a 10W3.

jeffdill said:
I'm not sure how the enclosure sizes would compare. I'm planning on building a custom box to fit into the trunk (never done it before but I have a coworker who has before).
Just make sure you give it ample space. If you're not sure you want to attempt it, you can always buy one built by JL themselves (e.g., here).

#23 ·
It's from a Forester. From the research I did, it seems like it was the best matching cubby with a flip-down lid.

I wired the USB port for the iPod into the center console cubby, so for now, this one just holds gum. Later, I'm thinking about relocating the OEM clock down there, but for now it's done.

As for the HU, it's not the fanciest, but the iPod integration works well, it sounds great, and it was $ free.99, so I'm not complaining.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.