Power Inverter, Permanent Install or temporary plug in?

View Poll Results: To Mount or Not to Mount, I dunno...

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mounting would be all around a SWELL idea *tu*

3 100.00%
  • Psh, you sir know nothing, just no.

0 0%
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Power Inverter, Permanent Install or temporary plug in? within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; Hey guys so I just got a Cobra 480 (400w) power inverter. Now I got this jewel b/c while reading ...

Question Power Inverter, Permanent Install or temporary plug in?

Hey guys so I just got a Cobra 480 (400w) power inverter. Now I got this jewel b/c while reading through A Subie Newbie Tuning Guide (Nasioc), one of the first things it suggested was a power inverter. Now come this summer the wife and I will be moving a few hours away for grad school, but plan to frequently come home and I have been trying to get that car as road warrior ready as possible. Anyway, i had been thinking for sometime that an inverter wouldn't be a bad investment.

So thats the reasoning (Traveling as well as soon to be data-logging/tuning). And here is the question, would you guys advise mounting and running a direct power to this or just whipping it out as needed and letting it sit on the floor? I placed it in the car in a spot i thought would be real swell, I would run the wires right through the back of the console to the terminals, and it just seems like it would be a real clean install. Im just wondering if there are any aspects of this I'm not seeing. I looked around on here and Nasioc and while i read about tons of guys with inverters, i didn't see many with them 'mounted' and the guys that did mount theirs, had really fancy ways of just having a plug showing.

Sooo what do yall think, Mount it, or not?

Here is what im thinking:

The angle of that picture is a bit deceiving. There is at least a good 3-4 in from the bottom of that to the carpet.
    Last edited by Smeee; 01-13-2011 at 10:48 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I would mount it.. although I have been planning on mounting mine for the last year and it's still just wedged between the driver's seat and the console (mine is considerably slimmer). I don't really know where else I would put it.. and I have it hard wired so it doesn't take up the use of my cig lighter.

^yeah, i almost went with the little duracell single plug one but hadn't read too many great things about it. Anyway, so hard wiring, what kinda wire did you have to run for yours?

Based on this kit:
    Amazon.com: Cobra CPI-A4000BC 4-AWG Heavy-Duty AC Power Inverter Cable Kit: Automotive
    Which I am not buying, But it would seem that I would need to run at least 4awg wires, even though Im fairly certain that the included cables are 12awg ???

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Hmm.. I don't know what you're planning on running off of it, and I don't know how many amps that thing is capable of drawing. 4 gauge does seem like over kill, although it's not going to hurt to error on the high side.

You could look at how many amps the fuse is rated for, since you know it's not going to draw any more amps than that under any circumstance.

Here's a chart: Wire Gauge Amps Ratings for 12 volt Automotive Systems

I Support ClubWRX
    Why not put it under the passenger seat? It would probably be just as easy to access, and you wouldn't see it.

Don't forget when wiring to fuse as close to the source as possible =)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    Hmm.. I don't know what you're planning on running off of it, and I don't know how many amps that thing is capable of drawing. 4 gauge does seem like over kill, although it's not going to hurt to error on the high side.
    You could look at how many amps the fuse is rated for, since you know it's not going to draw any more amps than that under any circumstance.
    Here's a chart: Wire Gauge Amps Ratings for 12 volt Automotive Systems
    That was my initial thought bout being overkill, but looking at that kit i figured it couldn't hurt. AND imma have to check that site you posted b/c that definitely makes sense. Thanks =D

Quote Originally Posted by Heide264 View Post
    Why not put it under the passenger seat? It would probably be just as easy to access, and you wouldn't see it.

Don't forget when wiring to fuse as close to the source as possible =)
    thought about the passenger seat but there is already a 'subwoofer' there (more like 6in bump). I thought about the driver side but that doesn't seem feasible. and I definitely am going to fuse it right next to the battery if i go that route.

I Support ClubWRX
    Id still try to wedge it somewhere less visible. I think you will grow to dislike it there honestly.

Do you keep your glove box empty? You could just use a cig lighter and not permanently wire it. That would eliminate any potential problems and keep it accessible easily. Just another thought.

Ah, or better yet, hide it and run an extension cord up.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    ya know i can't find a fuse for this joint. There is a fuse in the cig lighter charger and thats only 15amp but they say anything serious and that cord is worthless and while i dont forsee me using this thing to power anything big, YA NEVER KNOW. Only thing i am thinking so far and my DC Power brother is hopefully going to clear this up for me, buuuut it seems like Watts/Volts = Amps. Sooo that would give me something to plug into that chart and if the max watts on this jewel is 400 then i that would be around 34, 35 amps...give or take. NO?

Quote Originally Posted by Heide264 View Post
    Id still try to wedge it somewhere less visible. I think you will grow to dislike it there honestly.
    Do you keep your glove box empty? You could just use a cig lighter and not permanently wire it. That would eliminate any potential problems and keep it accessible easily. Just another thought.
    Ah, or better yet, hide it and run an extension cord up.
    hmmm, dislike it? really? I never see or really know what is in my backseat, buuuut it sounds like you know firsthand sooo something to think about I guess. As far as the glove box...eh, there isn't one. When i bought the car the face of it was busted and one day my friend got his bag caught on the locking mechanism and well it just broke. I took it out and randomly think about buying another one. BUT then i pick up one of my 'large' friends and they seem to fit better over there with it gone *shrugs*

And when you say hide it, i guess really only place would be under the driver seat but then i would still have to pull out the extension cable.....UUUGGGGHHH WORK, UGGGGHHHH, nah im j/p, buuuut i dunno i guess just keep a coiled up wire under there....hmmmm...plenty to think about. thanks!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.