New Stereo
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on New Stereo within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; After a few months of collecting parts, I finally installed my stereo system. A big thanks goes to Steve (M2KS) ...

I Support ClubWRX

New Stereo

After a few months of collecting parts, I finally installed my stereo system. A big thanks goes to Steve (M2KS) for his hospitality in letting me use his garage and help installing parts, and to Jake (JSEnclosures) for an awesome job doing most of the work.

Parts installed:
    Pioneer AVH-P4200DVD
    Alpine SPX-17REF 6.5" Components
    Dynamat Xtreme Speaker Kit
    Alphasonik PMZ1200A 5-Channel Amplifier
    JL Audio 10W3v3-4 Subwoofer
    JSEnclosures Showboat Enclosure

There were a few changes to the stereo system than previously intended...

I originally planned on running rear speakers, but decided against it for the time being. Rear speakers can take away from the sound stage, people rarely sit in the back seat, and it's just more cost to the stereo which I don't need. Instead, I'm going bridge the rear/sub channels on the amplifier (I need another small part that I'll probably pick up this week), and run the OE speakers off the H/U (the extra power put out by the Pioneer alone improved their SQ a bit).

I also intended to do a more complete sound deadening job (BXTII / Ensolite), but the materials wouldn't have arrived in time for the install, it would have raised the cost by ~$200, and I figure I'll live with this upgrade for a while and determine if I really have the need for added deadening. A local car audio shop had a Dynamat speaker kit in stock, so I picked that up on my way over.

Pictures...

Thirst quenchers (was looking for Long Trail, but the store was out of it):

Door card removed:

H/U installed:

Amp wiring kit installed (wire run through grommet by turbo and along the passenger side doors to the trunk):

Dynamat speaker kit:

The crossovers could've been mounted to the doors, but I figured it would be easier to access them for adjustment if they were mounted in the trunk. I didn't want them mounted where items in the trunk could bump into them, so I did them on the back side of the enclosure. Crossovers mounted to subwoofer enclosure:

There wasn't the time to get the MDF spacers coated in Line-X, so I picked up a can of Plasti-Dip on the way over. The spray wasn't adhering well to the sides, so it isn't a pretty job, but they're not visible and it's functional so I don't care. Speaker/spacer attached to the door:

I had a few options on where to mount the tweeter: OE, A-Pillar, kick panels, and the door card. OE isn't a very good location other than the fact that there's no "customization" necessary. I didn't want to do the A-Pillar in case I decided to put a gauge pod there (didn't want my stock pillar to be cut). I didn't want to cut into the door card in case I sell the car down the road without the speakers. The kick panel isn't too visible. Tweeter mounted to kick panel:

Subwoofer and enclosure in trunk:

So far, I'm very happy with the way it sounds, even though I haven't had a chance to really tune the system. Over the next few weeks, I'll spend some time tweaking...
    Last edited by EJ257; 01-09-2011 at 10:08 AM.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Looks good.

It takes a long time to tweak all the timing and frequency response of a new system. Makes a huge difference once you finally get it set.

As a start, try cranking up the time delay of those rear speakers a bit from the head unit if you can. They are gonna be out of sync a bit.

Let me know your thoughts on all the components after you get a chance =)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Nice Matt! That looks to be a very clean setup. Not sure about the Harp though. They make an excellent stout, have never been a fan of the lager...
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Nice Matt! That looks to be a very clean setup. Not sure about the Harp though. They make an excellent stout, have never been a fan of the lager...
    +1 on the setup...-1 on Zach's thoughts on the Harp...its a delicious beer

Let us know how things sound after you get it tuned up.

I got my new HU for Christmas/Birthday...I just need to find the time, and warmth to install it. Shouldn't take me more than an hour to do it, but its just so damn cold out. I also want to start exploring new Subwoofer options. I want to get rid of the 2 10s that I have and get a single 12 and mount it in a better location to keep some trunk space.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by zax
    Not sure about the Harp though. They make an excellent stout, have never been a fan of the lager...
    Harp is a middle of the road beer for me; not bad, not great. For the price, there are much better options. If I were the only one drinking it, I'd have gone with an IPA. I had to think about other peoples preferences, and that was one of the better beers at the store that day.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13
    I got my new HU for Christmas/Birthday...I just need to find the time, and warmth to install it. Shouldn't take me more than an hour to do it, but its just so damn cold out.
    What'd you get?

Do the wiring harness while drinking a beer and watching a playoff game. Installing the H/U itself shouldn't take you that long (maybe a half hour or so, tops).

I also want to start exploring new Subwoofer options. I want to get rid of the 2 10s that I have and get a single 12 and mount it in a better location to keep some trunk space.
    What are you amplifying them with? What kind of bass are you looking for?

For a general tight/clean bass sound, a sealed enclosure + JL Audio W3 / ImageDynamics IDQ would be a great setup. If you can find someone local that has either of these so you can listen to them, do so...
    Last edited by EJ257; 01-10-2011 at 09:28 AM.

UNYSOC

Nice!
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Not sure about the Harp though.
    Tolerable in a black and tan. Bass is better for that though. Otherwise. /disapprove. I hear ya on the friend preferences. Mine have different/inferior tastes as well.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

Nice! I like my Pioneer AVH-P4200DVD, just need to install a relay so I can play CD's while driving (not for viewing purposes, just have some live DVD's I'd like to listen to) and dial in an EQ that I actually like.
    ~Stan
    '04 WRB WRX Wagon (Build) - Hard Parked, AutoX Toy
    '08 WRX ~ Daily Beaten ~ '86 BMW 325es ~ "The Chump"

"I was raised knowing there is a replacement for displacement, it's called engineering."

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Hold_Fast
    Nice! I like my Pioneer AVH-P4200DVD, just need to install a relay so I can play CD's while driving (not for viewing purposes, just have some live DVD's I'd like to listen to) and dial in an EQ that I actually like.
    Some H/Us allow you to just permanently ground the parking brake wire, but the Pioneer units don't. I'll eventually get to installing the relay, but it's not anything important to me (all live DVDs have been ripped to audio anyway).

One feature I like is that there's an SD card input; a 32GB card will run me ~$50 shipped and will hold my entire music collection.

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Some H/Us allow you to just permanently ground the parking brake wire, but the Pioneer units don't. I'll eventually get to installing the relay, but it's not anything important to me (all live DVDs have been ripped to audio anyway).

One feature I like is that there's an SD card input; a 32GB card will run me ~$50 shipped and will hold my entire music collection.
    I just installed the AVIC - x920BT and this bypass worked for me. I don't know if it works the same for your unit...heck, i haven't even seen that unit you got...
    YouTube - Pioneer Avic-X920BT Bypass

I just did a quick search for yours just out of curiosity to its looks and i found this:
    YouTube - Pioneer AVH-P4200DVD Bypass & AVH-P5200DVD Bypass

aw bummer, n/m, looks like you do need to run a relay =|

I just ordered a SD card for mine too!!!

U.S. Combat Veteran (3ID) Stu_Gotti's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Nice!
    My Build | Facebook | I may appear calm, but in my head I've killed you three times

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    What'd you get?

Do the wiring harness while drinking a beer and watching a playoff game. Installing the H/U itself shouldn't take you that long (maybe a half hour or so, tops).

What are you amplifying them with? What kind of bass are you looking for?
    I have an Avic-U310BT to put in...entry level Nav and USB touchscreen Ipod control, which is the big reason I wanted this guy, for the price. The Nav screen actually pops out of the head unit to be used like a Garmin/Tom Tom and is portable...pretty damn cool!

I'll definitely do the Harness inside...should be easy enough. I have very good experience with Pioneer harnesses on my old STI as I put in an Avic D3 in under an hours time, pretty much using nothing but a Swiss Army Knife . This should be cake work considering I've done numerous WRX/STI HU installs.

As for what I'm looking for in the bass department...something a little deeper with a little more boom. The 2 10s I have hit pretty nice, but still lacks a little depth, and 2 10s just take up too much space. A JL W3 is pretty much perfect for what I'm looking for. I've had a lot of JL subs in my time, including an old school W6. I'm not positive on my amp set up as the amps are mounted behind the box, and the box is secured in the trunk. I just hadn't taken the time to unscrew the mounts on the box to see what I have. I'm almost positive its a JL monoblock of some sort...probably the 300x1, which would be perfect for a 12w3 IMO.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

I Support ClubWRX
    A JL W3 is pretty much perfect for what I'm looking for. I've had a lot of JL subs in my time, including an old school W6. I'm not positive on my amp set up as the amps are mounted behind the box, and the box is secured in the trunk. I just hadn't taken the time to unscrew the mounts on the box to see what I have. I'm almost positive its a JL monoblock of some sort...probably the 300x1, which would be perfect for a 12w3 IMO.
    300 is right in the sweet spot for that sub.

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by Smeee View Post
    I just installed the AVIC - x920BT and this bypass worked for me. I don't know if it works the same for your unit...heck, i haven't even seen that unit you got...
    YouTube - Pioneer Avic-X920BT Bypass

I just did a quick search for yours just out of curiosity to its looks and i found this:
    YouTube - Pioneer AVH-P4200DVD Bypass & AVH-P5200DVD Bypass

aw bummer, n/m, looks like you do need to run a relay =|

I just ordered a SD card for mine too!!!
    AVIC411.COM

all I gots to say .. more info than you can shake a sharp stick at
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Quote Originally Posted by mangostick View Post
    AVIC411.COM

all I gots to say .. more info than you can shake a sharp stick at
    haaaa! good looking out, I have been using that site long before I even bought my HU. Actually just used the site to upgrade the firmware...it was weird, there were some sites claiming there was a version 2.003 but pioneer was claiming 2.0021 and seeing how i just bought mine i figured it would be up to date, buuuut no sir, it was still 2.0...anywho, got clarifcation that it is the 2.0021 and loaded her up =D

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.