After a few months of collecting parts, I finally installed my stereo system. A big thanks goes to Steve (M2KS) for his hospitality in letting me use his garage and help installing parts, and to Jake (JSEnclosures) for an awesome job doing most of the work.
Alpine SPX-17REF 6.5" Components
Dynamat Xtreme Speaker Kit
Alphasonik PMZ1200A 5-Channel Amplifier
JL Audio 10W3v3-4 Subwoofer
JSEnclosures Showboat Enclosure
There were a few changes to the stereo system than previously intended...
I originally planned on running rear speakers, but decided against it for the time being. Rear speakers can take away from the sound stage, people rarely sit in the back seat, and it's just more cost to the stereo which I don't need. Instead, I'm going bridge the rear/sub channels on the amplifier (I need another small part that I'll probably pick up this week), and run the OE speakers off the H/U (the extra power put out by the Pioneer alone improved their SQ a bit).
I also intended to do a more complete sound deadening job (BXTII / Ensolite), but the materials wouldn't have arrived in time for the install, it would have raised the cost by ~$200, and I figure I'll live with this upgrade for a while and determine if I really have the need for added deadening. A local car audio shop had a Dynamat speaker kit in stock, so I picked that up on my way over.
Thirst quenchers (was looking for Long Trail, but the store was out of it):
Door card removed:
Amp wiring kit installed (wire run through grommet by turbo and along the passenger side doors to the trunk):
Dynamat speaker kit:
The crossovers could've been mounted to the doors, but I figured it would be easier to access them for adjustment if they were mounted in the trunk. I didn't want them mounted where items in the trunk could bump into them, so I did them on the back side of the enclosure. Crossovers mounted to subwoofer enclosure:
There wasn't the time to get the MDF spacers coated in Line-X, so I picked up a can of Plasti-Dip on the way over. The spray wasn't adhering well to the sides, so it isn't a pretty job, but they're not visible and it's functional so I don't care. Speaker/spacer attached to the door:
I had a few options on where to mount the tweeter: OE, A-Pillar, kick panels, and the door card. OE isn't a very good location other than the fact that there's no "customization" necessary. I didn't want to do the A-Pillar in case I decided to put a gauge pod there (didn't want my stock pillar to be cut). I didn't want to cut into the door card in case I sell the car down the road without the speakers. The kick panel isn't too visible. Tweeter mounted to kick panel:
Subwoofer and enclosure in trunk:
So far, I'm very happy with the way it sounds, even though I haven't had a chance to really tune the system. Over the next few weeks, I'll spend some time tweaking...