Real cause of lousy sound quality in non-Nav '11 stereo- HU or speakers? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Real cause of lousy sound quality in non-Nav '11 stereo- HU or speakers? within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; The install is seriously easy... it's about 6 screws - the hardest part (if you can call it that) is ...

The install is seriously easy... it's about 6 screws - the hardest part (if you can call it that) is wiring up the harness, which is really only difficult if you're colorblind.
    Once the wiring was done, the actual install probably took 15 minutes of labor. There are great videos online that show you exactly how to do it, too. You can still pay BB, but all I'm saying is that it's one of the easier cars to change the HU I've ever done.
    s e t h
    "If you're going to live on the cutting edge, you'd better be prepared to bleed a little."
    Stink-Eye Mob #73, Hawkeye Alliance #667

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I have an 05 WRX Wagon. I replaced the entire sound system within two weeks of picking it up...Kenwood 25th Anniversary HU, component speakers, two amps and 2 10's in a box.....thumptiy thump thump look at Subie roll.

Quote Originally Posted by phenryiv1 View Post
    I am trying to determine the real cause of the lousy sound in the '11 non-Nav WRX/STi. I listened to it for about 2 minutes before deciding that the best word for the sound is "muddy."

My initial inclination with the '11s is that the speakers suck. Clarion knows how to make a HU, but who knows how Subaru specified the particulars on bass attunation or other artificialities, so I could be way off.

it seems that most people just swap out the HU as a knee-jerk reaction to bad sound, but is that really the best solution?

If you had to nail down the cause of the muddy, dull sound in the '11s, would you say that it was the HU or the speakers?

No matter what, I am adding a small underseat sub to help with bass reproduction, since neither the factory HU nor speakers seem suited to that.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
    The head unit is definitely the issue .. though, the reason it is the issue is due to power output. Its minuscule just as the internal amp is. If you pull the head unit and have a peak inside it (which you can easily do through the vent holes in the chassis) The power supply/amp is TINY! I found once I put a decent amount of wattage to the factory speakers they work much better. I also got the factory A pillar tweeter pods and stuck some left over tweets in there and that took care of the lack of brightness/staging the system had before.

The factory head unit might produce ok signal, but does NOT produce enough wattage to sound clean/clear. Amping it might actually help as I've heard some have had good luck with that.

Personally I changed out the head unit because in the 10's like mine the factory head unit didn't have the features I wanted (blue tooth/nav/sat/Ipod etc) and I already had a Pioneer Avic F700bt out of my previous car.

upgrading the head unit and adding tweets worked great in my car. I've been hammering on the factory speakers for a while now and they still sound fine. Actually, they're pretty stout sound wise with 20 or so watts/channel.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Supporting Member mjboudreaux77's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by phenryiv1 View Post
    You can still have the SWCs, but you need an adapter.

As for me, after reading on here, NASIOC, and iwsti, I ended up ordering a Pioneer AVH-3200BT from Crutchfield. On sale for $339, free install gear, plus a $20 refer-a-friend discount. $319 shipped.

It is on backorder, but the order is placed so I get it at the sale price.
    I am mostly happy with this HU, but am just a little dissapointed there is not iPod connection to the rear. So, if you want to plug in your iPod, you have to use the front jack and will have a wire dangling over the heater controls. The "non BT" version of this HU allows for a rear connection - not sure why they changed this.

Depending on your MY - you may want to consider the "e-brake work around." The 02-07s were very easy to get to the ebrake wire, so I hooked it up the right way. My '11 looks like I would have to pull the entire center console apart to get at the wire, so I didn't.
    If I don't die by Thursday, I'll be roarin Friday night - Jimmy Buffett

...or use a TR7 adapter, which makes it unnecessary to get to the e-brake at all.
    s e t h
    "If you're going to live on the cutting edge, you'd better be prepared to bleed a little."
    Stink-Eye Mob #73, Hawkeye Alliance #667

Quote Originally Posted by mjboudreaux77 View Post
    I am mostly happy with this HU, but am just a little dissapointed there is not iPod connection to the rear. So, if you want to plug in your iPod, you have to use the front jack and will have a wire dangling over the heater controls. The "non BT" version of this HU allows for a rear connection - not sure why they changed this.
    Saw this writup as a way to get around the front-mount USB...if it really bothers me.

NASIOC - View Single Post - Pioneer AVH-3200BT Vs. Kenwood DNX6160

It still makes no sense why they relocated, but the other features outweighed that shortcoming.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.