Subwoofer install
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Subwoofer install within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; I know I am asking for it, but... I am 33, and still listen to my rap music from when ...

Supporting Member mjboudreaux77's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX

Subwoofer install

I know I am asking for it, but...

I am 33, and still listen to my rap music from when I was a kid - so I want more bass. Its ridiculous, I know... I am running a Pioneer AVH-3200BT for a deck in my '11 STI.

I can't spend a ton, but have been looking at Crutchfield's bass package that has a alpine mrp-m500 amp coupled with 2 10inch alpine swe-1043 subs enclosed for $330. I have also found a kenwood kac-8105D amp for less than $100, and best buy is selling 2-for-1 (total $90) on the kicker 10inch subs, so I could do the kenwood/kicker combo for about $230. My home system is top notch, but I can't afford that in my car too.

My general question is for those of you who have the 2011 sedan, is 2 10 inch the way to go? Or 1 12 inch? I like having more trunk space, but am afraid 1 12inch isn't going to be enough. I don't need the car to shake and rattle (the factory installed plenty of rattles!), but I do like that feeling you get in your chest when the bass hits hard.

I am excited - so I already have the speaker wires, power, gnd, and remote turn on wired to my trunk... I just need to make a decision now.
    If I don't die by Thursday, I'll be roarin Friday night - Jimmy Buffett

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I am a fan of jl audio stuff.... I think 1 12 w3 and a 500/1 or 1000/1 watt Amp in a ported box will be plenty and s have trunk space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

just wait until the new Subaru OEM kicker 10" comes out in January 2011... It will hit hard it comes with an integrated 100w apm with sound processing..ect its only like 200 or 250$
    2011 WRX Hatch Black Pearl

If you want a good clean thump, and keep some trunk space stick with a good quality 10" sub and force as much power to it as your wallet will handle.

A 100w oem sub eh? 100w peak or rms? .. there is a huge difference between the two..even 100w rms is paltry for a sub.. it should have more, a lot more. I've found over the years that 200w RMS and up is where most people really enjoy the install and get the most out of it.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mangostick
    If you want a good clean thump, and keep some trunk space stick with a good quality 10" sub and force as much power to it as your wallet will handle.
    JL Audio 10W3v3 (4ohm)
    Alpine MRP-M500
    Sealed enclosure

Should be ~$400-500, depending on what prices you find. A local guy builds custom enclosures for the W3, and I picked mine up as a package deal for $275 from him.

The sub/amp price is about what you'd be looking at for the Alpine package off Crutchfield, but you only get the one sub. This will likely pack enough punch, while keeping the sound refined. It may not shake the car next to you, but at 33, is that what you're going for?

Quote Originally Posted by mangostick
    A 100w oem sub eh? 100w peak or rms? .. there is a huge difference between the two..even 100w rms is paltry for a sub.. it should have more, a lot more.
    Agreed.
    Last edited by EJ257; 12-05-2010 at 09:39 PM.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I have a single 12'' Pioneer sub in my 2003 WRX and it is more than enough for my taste. It takes up minimal space as compared to 2 10'' subs. When you put subs in your trunk the best way to save space is to go to SUBWAY haha. A 12'' there doesnt take up too much space lmao! But if you need trunk space take the car down to like BEST BUY or something and ask about the vertical sub-woofer en-closers. Those are thin and can be set against the back seats to save space. Good luck!
    --------------------------------
    As a wise man once said,

Diamonds are for girls, Wise men follow the stars!

Dan Brown: 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX (WRB)
    First Car- 1993 Subaru legacy LS (WRB)

granted I have a 2010 hatch.. but I got a audio integrations sub enclosure a while back (have yet to install it) and when I test fit it .. it was nicely tucked out of the way. Holds a single 10" sub.. the carpet even matches oem.

Its expensive, but a really clean way to go.

http://www.audiointegrations.net/subarusedan.html
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

I Support ClubWRX
    OK... so sub is in the mail, and amp is here.

After countless hours struggling with decisions, I went with the kenwood KAC-8105D amp, and Alpine 10inch TypeR DVC sub and a sealed enclosure.

The amp is rated at 500W RMS.

Has anyone run this power of amp with the HID lights? The last time I had a system this powerful (mmm, 1990 something in a pontiac sunbird) the lights dimmed when the bass hit. Is this a problem for the HIDs in the STI?

Quote Originally Posted by mjboudreaux77 View Post
    OK... so sub is in the mail, and amp is here.

After countless hours struggling with decisions, I went with the kenwood KAC-8105D amp, and Alpine 10inch TypeR DVC sub and a sealed enclosure.

The amp is rated at 500W RMS.

Has anyone run this power of amp with the HID lights? The last time I had a system this powerful (mmm, 1990 something in a pontiac sunbird) the lights dimmed when the bass hit. Is this a problem for the HIDs in the STI?
    Class D amp is highly efficient. I doubt you'll have dimming but if you do, throw a capacitor in there.
    Brandon
    '11 WRX 5-Door, Dark Gray Metallic

I Support ClubWRX
    I got it all installed.... the enclosure I bought on amazon didn't fit, so I had to go out and buy a shorter one. I think its a Q-Logic.

This really sounds amazing. If I turn it up too high, the whole car rattles. This summer I will do some dyno matting. This setup is exactly what I was looking for.... Plenty of boom.

Here is a pic of the install... Nothing I did put any holes or modifications to the car. I made a "floor" for the amp out of plywood and home depot carpeting. I made tabs on the floor that secure it in place by grabbing parts that sit behind the seats.

There is no dimming at all. I am so psyched this came out as well as it did.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sub Install.jpg  
    Last edited by mjboudreaux77; 12-12-2010 at 10:15 AM. Reason: forgot pic

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.