2011 aftermarket stereo
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2011 aftermarket stereo within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; So the OEM stereo sucks big time.Anyone here install an aftermarket head unit while retaining steering controls for the hands ...

I Support ClubWRX

2011 aftermarket stereo

So the OEM stereo sucks big time.Anyone here install an aftermarket head unit while retaining steering controls for the hands free & stereo controls?I can't seem to find the adapters anywhere.The only adapter I found was for the antenna.Also was anybody able to retain use of the OEM auxiliary jack & ipod connector?
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_127SWIJ...ssi=0&tp=22561

You can call these guys as well, they really really know their stuff.

if you go aftermarket, you will loose the aux imput jack and ipod connector. im in the same boat. i want to get an am head unit, but that means im out steering wheel controls, input jack, ipod controls, and sirius. its BS i tell you!
    Stink-eye Mob #814004
    2010 WRX Limited Hatch - spt short throw...for now

A decent aftermarket head unit will include all the features that you lose from the stock unit like Bluetooth, aux in, iPod in, USB charging, Sirius/XM. I was under the impression the steering wheel controller posted above would work. Not worth it for me because I control phone and music via my iPhone and I hardly ever listen to radio so the only thing the steering wheel would do is adjust volume. I don't miss steering wheel controls at all for what it's worth.
    Last edited by hamz01; 12-02-2010 at 10:27 AM.
    Brandon
    '11 WRX 5-Door, Dark Gray Metallic

Here is what I'm doing:

Getting one of these.

That takes the output of your stock stereo, cleans it up and turns it into a 'flat' signal which then you can send to an amplifier

So I'm going to run a JL cleansweep which will feed to a 5 channel amp that will power my front and rear door speakers and a subwoofer.

So, this lets me replace everything, have it sound great while still retaining the factory stereo. That way I still have my bluetooth, I still have my aux and ipod connection, I still have all my steering wheels controls and things look 'normal' which draws less attention from potential thieves.

You can probably just do a cleansweep and then have it power stock speakers and maybe a small amp and sub and it would still be a major improvement to the stock sound.

I've been spending the last few weeks waiting for my car planning my stereo
    '99 Impreza 2.5RS Rally Blue Pearl - Retired
    '02 Sedona Red WRX - Retired
    '11 DGM WRX Hatch w/ SPT exhaust, short throw and STi shift knob Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    @sync,thanks a lot,sounds like a good idea,it would sound good but then the compromise would be with the navigation on a new HU.But I can live with that.Also I like the conspicuous part.Please post pics of the installation process if you r gng to do it urself.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

I Support ClubWRX
    I was checkin out the cleansweep & it costs just $200 on amazon vs $299 on crutchfield
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    @sync,thanks a lot,sounds like a good idea,it would sound good but then the compromise would be with the navigation on a new HU.But I can live with that.Also I like the conspicuous part.Please post pics of the installation process if you r gng to do it urself.
    Navigation = GPS unit! Cheaper, you can stash it when you don't need it to keep things looking nice and honestly probably better than most head-unit nav systems unless you are willing to pay big bucks. I personally have an iphone and have the Navigon app for that which is good for most situations.

As far as the price of the CleanSweep, you can get them from just about anywhere you want. Bear in mind however that JL audio and most automotive audio dealers will not honor their products warranties if they are purchased from a non-authorized retailer.

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/jlaudio_pages.php?page_id=111

That's a list of JL audio's authorized retailers. My advice is to click through that list and see who has the best deal. I saved $200 on my 5 channel amp purchasing it through CarToys during their Black Friday sales event rather than going through Crutchfield. They are still an authorized Alpine dealer too so it's all on the up and up. Pays to shop around!

I still haven't committed one way or the other to doing the install myself or not. On one hand I know I can do it and would get a good deal of satisfaction from it, but on the other hand it's also winter in New England. It's dark and cold when I get out of work and I'm always busy on the weekends so it's far more practical to use a trusted audio installation expert. Plus not having to worry about buying and measuring wires and mounting equipment is a plus. I'll probably have them install the cleansweep and amp and run the wiring and I'll mount the sub enclosure and wire that myself. We'll see...

This is the sub box I'm looking at: Audio Integrations

And here is a youtube video of an install in a hatchback.

It is kinda pricey for an enclosure but the fit and finish of it is suburb. I'm not really interested in having the kind of system that takes up your whole trunk and is like multiple amps, capacitors, multiple subs and junk. I'm just looking for something that is pretty discreet and really is only noticeable when you turn on the stereo and hear the quality. Got to keep it classy.
    '99 Impreza 2.5RS Rally Blue Pearl - Retired
    '02 Sedona Red WRX - Retired
    '11 DGM WRX Hatch w/ SPT exhaust, short throw and STi shift knob Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by dbya rx View Post
    if you go aftermarket, you will loose the aux imput jack and ipod connector.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it just a standard USB jack as well as a standard audio jack? I don't see why you can't nab those cables and run them to a decent after market head unit.

I'd swap that sucker out for a nice after market one. The after market head units are so nice sound quality and feature wise compared to stock ones normally. Get the steering wheel adapter from crutchfield posted above.

Only problem being that I doubt the bluetooth module is compliant, but never know.

I think you'd get much better sound quality out of that than a DSP chip post-stock head unit. You can't make up lost audio quality =(. I'm sure the DSP chip would help a lot, but myself personally, would rather just get a nice after market unit.

Alpine and Pioneer both make nice ones. I am not a Pioneer fan, but people that have them love them. I like Alpines navigation with primarily the one big knob. Easier to use while driving and not paying much attention to finding buttons.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

Also if you go pioneer i'm pretty sure they have a steering wheel adapter so you don't lose that future.

2011 audio

This is what is going in my 011 as soon as the damn thing comes in!!!

Alpine INA-W900 Head unit
    PXA-H100 Imprint Processor
    Alpine PDX 4.100
    Alpine PDX 1.600
    Alpine BT400 Blue tooth
    Alpine Sir-Tuner
    Alpine DHA-S680 DVD Changer
    Audio Solutions 10" molded sub box
    JL Audio 10W3v3 10" sub
    PAC Audio Steering Wheel Module
    PAC Audio TR7 Video Bypass
    CDT Braxial 6.5" front and rear stages
    CDT US-200 Upstage front passive Crossover
    Vifa Upstage a-pilar tweeters (Up Stage)
    Dynamat galour!!!

My mazdaspeed 3 had a stereo that was over the top the aforementioned system is going to be tame, but great sounding!

Quote Originally Posted by 2010wrxhatch View Post
    This is what is going in my 011 as soon as the damn thing comes in!!!

Alpine INA-W900 Head unit
    PXA-H100 Imprint Processor
    Alpine PDX 4.100
    Alpine PDX 1.600
    Alpine BT400 Blue tooth
    Alpine Sir-Tuner
    Alpine DHA-S680 DVD Changer
    Audio Solutions 10" molded sub box
    JL Audio 10W3v3 10" sub
    PAC Audio Steering Wheel Module
    PAC Audio TR7 Video Bypass
    CDT Braxial 6.5" front and rear stages
    CDT US-200 Upstage front passive Crossover
    Vifa Upstage a-pilar tweeters (Up Stage)
    Dynamat galour!!!

My mazdaspeed 3 had a stereo that was over the top the aforementioned system is going to be tame, but great sounding!
    Looks like a pretty good setup. One question... how do you plan to mount the tweeters in the a-pillar with the airbags being there?

you cant. to mount aftermarket tweeters in these cars so expensive am i correct?? because a lot has to be taken off for rewiring
    2011 WRX Hatch Black Pearl

I ordered my 2011 sedan about 3 weeks ago. I've been looking at this:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-encBYrl...DynamicContent

It looks like you can keep the steering wheel controls with an added adapter.
    2011 DGM sedan
    1995 Miata

I Support ClubWRX
    Pioneer is having some great deals at the moment.

If you don't need navigation/bluetooth, you can get the AVH-4200HD for under $350.

If you do want bluetooth/navigation, the AVIC-920BT is $650 after a $100MIR.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast