Sub and amp confusion
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Sub and amp confusion within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; hi guys i jus bought a pioneer premier champ. series pro sub its got 1000W rms and its dual 2 ...

Question Sub and amp confusion

hi guys i jus bought a pioneer premier champ. series pro sub its got 1000W rms and its dual 2 ohm.

i got an amp for it but apparently the impedence doesnt match the sub :S .. i jus need to know what amp i should be using to run this sub.. or atleast a nudge in the right direction,

the amp i got has these outputs
    500w @ 4 ohms
    1000w @ 2ohms
    1500w @ 1ohm

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by wrxNewbie02 View Post
    hi guys i jus bought a pioneer premier champ. series pro sub its got 1000W rms and its dual 2 ohm.

i got an amp for it but apparently the impedence doesnt match the sub :S .. i jus need to know what amp i should be using to run this sub.. or atleast a nudge in the right direction,

the amp i got has these outputs
    500w @ 4 ohms
    1000w @ 2ohms
    1500w @ 1ohm
    That amp should do just fine, if you wire the voice coils in parallel, you will be at 1 ohm and will get the most out of that amp. That being said, I've seen where amps are rated at 1 ohm but overheat at that level. If that is the case, the only other thing you can do is run in series (at 4 ohm) but then your amps output decreases. Either way, you'll have plenty of sound.

but if i run it at 1 ohm... that would be 1500w rms to a 1000w rms sub .. wouldnt that kill the sub? also its running at 4 ohms atm and its pretty quiet.. i mean i can turn all the bass levels up on my deck but then my other speakers destort

Does your HU have an independent SW control setting? You should be able to crank up the subwoofer output without affecting the bass levels of the other speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by wrxNewbie02 View Post
    but if i run it at 1 ohm... that would be 1500w rms to a 1000w rms sub .. wouldnt that kill the sub? also its running at 4 ohms atm and its pretty quiet.. i mean i can turn all the bass levels up on my deck but then my other speakers destort
    No, in fact its actually beneficial for the amp to run cooler. Do you have a sub out on your head unit? If not it might benefit you to run a crossover of some sort so you can separate your highs and lows. Also, if you haven't already, check your amp output level. I would have it set somewhere between half and 3/4.

so ideally what amp would you guys suggest

That amp will work fine. It's a lot of personal taste, but if your asking what I would do... JL 10w7 sub in a 1" mdf enclosure and an xtant x1001 amp running at 1 ohm. It'll blow the windows out of you car. But... with wiring, it'll set you back $2000.00. I think your setup will impress you if you get a crossover and run that sub in parallel. What do you have for a head unit, mids, and highs?

i got a pioneer double din touch, its a new model, i actually got it from the US on ebay.. set me back $1300.. my sub is from the US as is my amp. its funny cause all the gps maps are still US, and it still thinks its in the states, so i been drivin through compton n **** even though im in aus. im hearin wat ur sayin, its jus the shop i went to said i couldnt put 1500w through my sub, i mean i pretty confused if jus stepped into this world of car audio thinkin i knew wat i was doin, but now i realise i have no idea,... im not sure wat u mean by mids and highs... my HU has settings for subwoofer and they are all set right up there.. i have played around with the settings on the amp but i really couldnt noticw any change...
    i seen videos of these subs pumpin so hard you cant read what it sais on the sub, where as mine you can hardly notice its moving,, i can hear a bit of bass but i know its got so much more to give

It's not as loud because you have it wired at 4 ohms. wire the coils in parallel and you'll get much more volume. It's always better to have an amp with more rated power than the speakers it is running. The amp is rated at 1500W at 1 ohm with .xx% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD), If you are powering a 1000W sub, the amp is only going to put out 1000W, but the THD will be lower, meaning there will be less distortion (clearer sound). This isn't as much of an issue with subs because distortion is easier to hear at higher frequency, but it will not hurt the speaker. By mids and highs I mean your other speakers that aren't subs (door speakers). If your head unit is high end (which it sounds like it's pretty nice) you should have separate RCA outputs for the sub amp and a separate level control for that. Sounds like you may want to read the manual of that head unit to understand it's features before you get too discouraged.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.