Radio Headunit removal

This is a discussion on Radio Headunit removal within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; Does anyone have a "how to" or a link to the removal procedure for the 2011 WRX factory head unit? ...

Radio Headunit removal

Does anyone have a "how to" or a link to the removal procedure for the 2011 WRX factory head unit?

Installing some gauges and I've never done it this way before. Tapped into the fuse box for my old 08 even though that wasn't ideal. Wanting to wire this one proper.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

check out this youtube vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nn2-NL7qNxI

there are two ways to do this. you can do it how he did it in the video, and its a lot more work. you could also do it with a rubber tipped pry took and remove the gray bezel around the head unit and go at it that way, but i have had issues in other cars that i have owned with breaking the clips that hold the bezel in.

good luck.
    Stink-eye Mob #814004
    2010 WRX Limited Hatch - spt short throw...for now

that the same on the 2011 wrx? Thats not hard at all my honda was a lot harder than that!

http://s60.photobucket.com/albums/h1...t=PICT0001.mp4

Thats a short vid I made to help out another owner. my11 should be exactly same as my08-10

just make sure that the prying tool you use is DULL and really thin. The panel may fight you a little because its never been off.. but once it does it'll be easy every other time you try it.
    Last edited by mangostick; 11-04-2010 at 07:48 PM.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

thanks what size is ur screen?

dont remember, its a avic F700BT .. I want to say the screen is either 6" or 6.5" .. but I could be wrong. At the time I bought it.. any touch screen was hot stuff lol.. so the size really didn't matter.

Dunno, still debating a upgrade but not sure if I want to spend the dough on a new deck for the car or a french door to lead out to the deck on the house..... there's no wife to sway the decision .... lol.. dunno could go either way (the door is likely cheaper anyway )

I love the pioneer but something with Garmin software would be better.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    SUCH IS MANGO!

aha yea it looks nice. I'm looking to get the new 7" pioneer screen but its a 1 din unit. It pops and slides out but I really don't like what it looks like when the head unit is in its compartment. I like how yours is mounted like that and it does not slide out. Does anyone know if a 7" screen will fit in my 2011 wrx as a 2 din one like yours or do I have to get the 1 din with the sliding out feature for a 7"?

hmm.. not sure. I know there are a few that have full size screens on the double din units.. but not really up on what is what at the moment. I've been out of it for a little while. My pioneer is a good 3 years old now. I'd like to have something with a wider screen and garmin nav software.

Search around man, there's tons of info on the net. I like to surf around Crutchfield.com and see what they have. They list a great deal of info so I can do my shopping there and buy somewhere more reasonably priced (though I'll add that I have bought a great deal of equipment from them in the past) ..

http://www.crutchfield.com/g_182350/...FFDouble%40DIN
    Last edited by mangostick; 11-05-2010 at 11:42 PM.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    SUCH IS MANGO!