satellite radio - install question
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on satellite radio - install question within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; I just bought an 2011 WRX wagon with stock stereo. I had a 2002 WRX and I added satellite radio ...

satellite radio - install question

I just bought an 2011 WRX wagon with stock stereo.

I had a 2002 WRX and I added satellite radio 3 yrs ago at Best Buy. They stuck the little Sirius head unit to the windshield and put the sat antenna on the dash. They connected the sat antenna in behind the WRX stock head unit and wired it up so that when I turned on the ignition the satellite radio powered up. I can change the volume from the stock head unit and I change the sat station from the Sat head unit on the windshield.

My question is: should I take my old 02 to Best Buy and ask them to rip out what they've done on the 02 and duplicate on the 2011 or is there a better option?

I confess I like having the Sat unit on the windshield - it allows me to keep my eyes on the road when I glance over to see what song is playing. That's why I didn't get the Sat option on the new car.

Specifically:

is the antenna on the roof a sat antenna or is it just a radio antenna ?

Should I use the aux input or should I ask them to wire the antenna like they did with the old car ?

Is there any way to wire it up so that I can use the nifty channel selector buttons on the steering wheel to change from one preset sat station to another (I know this is a long shot) ?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Rimbaud View Post
    I just bought an 2011 WRX wagon with stock stereo.

I had a 2002 WRX and I added satellite radio 3 yrs ago at Best Buy. They stuck the little Sirius head unit to the windshield and put the sat antenna on the dash. They connected the sat antenna in behind the WRX stock head unit and wired it up so that when I turned on the ignition the satellite radio powered up. I can change the volume from the stock head unit and I change the sat station from the Sat head unit on the windshield.

My question is: should I take my old 02 to Best Buy and ask them to rip out what they've done on the 02 and duplicate on the 2011 or is there a better option?

I confess I like having the Sat unit on the windshield - it allows me to keep my eyes on the road when I glance over to see what song is playing. That's why I didn't get the Sat option on the new car.

Specifically:

is the antenna on the roof a sat antenna or is it just a radio antenna ?

Should I use the aux input or should I ask them to wire the antenna like they did with the old car ?

Is there any way to wire it up so that I can use the nifty channel selector buttons on the steering wheel to change from one preset sat station to another (I know this is a long shot) ?
    I recommend taking a look at the new XM Snap! radio reciever. Since I was already a subscriber I got it for $9 and it works great plugged into the AUX port. Easily found on XM.com and it a lot cheaper than any other option to add Satellite radio

Quote Originally Posted by simsjam View Post
    I recommend taking a look at the new XM Snap! radio reciever. Since I was already a subscriber I got it for $9 and it works great plugged into the AUX port. Easily found on XM.com and it a lot cheaper than any other option to add Satellite radio
    agree!! i have the same XM Snap! but it's a bit cheaper than $9, the owner gave me 1 dollar discount, it's only $8. it's good to have this radio rather than the satellite radio.

Darren
    "always buy genuine radio installation kit"

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.