P4200DVD HU and Ipod Help

This is a discussion on P4200DVD HU and Ipod Help within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; As a start to a sound system upgrade, I installed a Pioneer P4200dvd in my 2009 Sti last night/early morning ...

P4200DVD HU and Ipod Help

As a start to a sound system upgrade, I installed a Pioneer P4200dvd in my 2009 Sti last night/early morning using the Metra harness and dash kit as well as a Bosch relay to bypass the parking break.

Install looks decent and the sound of the stock speakers is much improved.

I have not had much of a chance to play around with it yet but know the relay bypass works and the Ipod does NOT.

Here are my questions:

1) My Ipod is a 120G Classic which is supposed to be compatible. I hooked up the USB extension cable supplied with the HU and ran it into the glove box for now but when I attached my Ipod cable and Ipod to the extension, the HU says the Ipod is not compatible. Does anyone know what I am missing? Is this because the Ipod is formatted for Mac instead of Windows or is there Ipod or Pioneer firmware that I need?

2) I hooked up the HU ground wire to the relay ground wire to the harness ground wire. Is this OK, as I noticed the stock radio also had a separate ground wire plug (I believe that is what it is based on other forum research) on the back in addition to the ground in the stock harness? Do i need to hook up the HU ground separately to the car metal somehow?

Help would be much appreciated.

D

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

What Ipod cable do you have? Is it the CD-IB100II or CD-IU200V?

As long as all the ground wires touch the ground, it's fine.

Edit: I reread the Ipod issue.... Did you try plugging the Ipod cable directly in to the back of the HU? Do you have access to a newer style Ipod (one that's not hard drive based)?
    Last edited by SeattleJeremy; 09-09-2010 at 11:10 AM.

I did not purchase any of the "add-on" cables, as I didn't need the video capabilities and so I did not get either of these. I thought I did not need either of them to just be able to access the audio.

The Ipod is not directly plugged in but through the extension instead - I will try and see if it makes a difference but I can't see why it would.

No access to other Ipods but I will ask around and try that as well.

My Ipod software is the correct one per the Pioneer compatibility charts.
    Last edited by djabCA; 09-09-2010 at 11:17 AM.

just hooked up a newer Ipod nano (windows formatted) and it worked using the cables set up as detailed earlier.

So.... not sure why mine won't work.

Formatting issue b/w Mac and Windows?
    Too much music on my Ipod (90gigs)?

There isn't a format difference between Windows and Mac when it come to Ipods. This isn't an old school floppy disk.

Are you using the Apple firmware or has it been modified using aftermarket software? After I jail broke my ipod nano, it no longer worked with my HU.

Can you post a link to the pioneer compatibility list? I can't find it.

my ipod works fine with my 4200 (also have a mac). i also have the classic hooked up to 1 of pioneers add on wires to connect it to the unit. that very well could be your problem. just pick up one of compatable cables.

Are you using the Apple firmware or has it been modified using aftermarket software?

Can you post a link to the pioneer compatibility list? I can't find it.

I have not modified any software - is there specific Apple firmware to get from Pioneer?

Here is a link to the owner's manual - see page 84. They also have a web page directly to it but I can't find it anymore.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/St...Manual0112.pdf

To quote someones reply click the blue Quote button under their reply
    Quote Originally Posted by djabCA View Post
    I have not modified any software - is there specific Apple firmware to get from Pioneer?

Here is a link to the owner's manual - see page 84. They also have a web page directly to it but I can't find it anymore.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/St...Manual0112.pdf
    I think I made my previous reply more complicated than it needed to be. Thank you for bearing with me.

When you plug your iPod in to your computer, at the top of iTunes it should say what version of the firmware you have on your iPod. As long as it's Version 2.0.1 or newer, then your Ipod should work with your new Head Unit using the cables it came with.

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleJeremy View Post
    To quote someones reply click the blue Quote button under their reply

I think I made my previous reply more complicated than it needed to be. Thank you for bearing with me.

When you plug your iPod in to your computer, at the top of iTunes it should say what version of the firmware you have on your iPod. As long as it's Version 2.0.1 or newer, then your Ipod should work with your new Head Unit using the cables it came with.
    thanks for that and for bearing with my stupidity. My Ipod firmware is 2.0.1 (can also be seen on the Ipod directly), which is why I am confused - all the signs point to it be plug-and-play capable but for some reason it isn't.

in another forum, it was suggested that OS4 on the Mac could be the issue but I can't see how.

I guess my next step is to see if there is an update for my Ipod on iTunes and then try again. Short of this, I am totally lost and a little peaved.

in another forum, it was suggested that OS4 on the Mac could be the issue but I can't see how.
    That isn't the issue.

I guess my next step is to see if there is an update for my Ipod on iTunes and then try again. Short of this, I am totally lost and a little peaved.
    I agree check to see if there is any updates, by plugging it in to iTunes. I completely understand your frustration. Sorry I wasn't able to help more.

Maybe someone with this deck (or similar) can chime in. I've got an older Pioneer.

no problem - thanks anyway.

Either way, i'm still happy I changed the OEM deck. I'm sure I'll figure something out.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    A little off subject, but you will be better off grounding your HU directly to the chassis of the car. The ground wire in the harness is who knows how long, and runs side by side with a whole bundle of other wires, which is a no no.

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    A little off subject, but you will be better off grounding your HU directly to the chassis of the car. The ground wire in the harness is who knows how long, and runs side by side with a whole bundle of other wires, which is a no no.
    Thanks, I had been contemplating it since I will need to pull out the deck again anyway and while I am at it, I may just install a different harness with the SWC built in.

FYI - In case anyone experiences the same, i picked up the CD-IU200V cable today, hooked it up to the USB extension cable and the ipod works now!

I'm pretty sure all the research said that the specific cable was not required if you were just wanting to play audio but apparently it is required to hook up the ipod 120g classic.