2011 WRX DVD/Nav Install??? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on 2011 WRX DVD/Nav Install??? within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; The OEM HU usually will only talk to the OEM Sirius adapter. On previous Subaru radios that have the Clarion ...

The OEM HU usually will only talk to the OEM Sirius adapter.

On previous Subaru radios that have the Clarion CeNET expansion port, people have tried aftermarket "generic" Clarion satellite tuners, but they didn't work.

Newer Subaru radios have a proprietary bus port (20-pin).

On the 2011, the stubby antenna unit on the roof may already contain a sat radio antenna. Then you'll have an antenna cable already tucked behind your factory radio.

Earlier years were "pre-wired for satellite radio," which simply meant there was an extension cable that ran from behind the radio to above the map light cluster. That just saved you from running the cable down the A-pillar and under the dash. When you (or your dealer) added the sat radio accessory kit, they would stick the kit's OEM sat radio antenna on the inside of the windshield, at the upper-right corner.

On earlier years, the OEM GPS antenna was installed under the dash, above the instrument cluster. People have placed aftermarket GPS antennas under the dash, above the HU and they've worked fine there.
    Last edited by SVXdc; 03-27-2011 at 03:00 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by dbya rx View Post
    i would get it professionaly installed.... i mean if you up for it go for it, but for a brand new car, i would want a professional installation. i dont know where you live, but best buy only charges like $100 for installation of that kind of stuff
    Wait! You used "professional installation" and "Best Buy" in the same paragraph!

Quote Originally Posted by mangostick View Post
    woah woah waoh..

...Dont need a pro install. Why pay a hundred bucks+ to have a guy spend 20min on your car and not care if he jacks it up? .. I've seen some so called "pro" installs look like a 5 yr old with some butt connectors and electrical tape had at it. Not what I'd call "professional" by any means. Remember once the radio is in you cant see their mess.. and they know that.
    +1 Do it yourself; take your time. Ask questions if you get stuck. There are plenty of people here that have most likely run into all the problems you'll face...
    2011 WRX Limited, DGM; full tint, SPT CBE/STS w/ bushings, RA flaps, Enkei PF01s, Pink SuperTones, and ClubWRX.net stickers!
    My Photostream
    about.me

Hmmm, so if that antenna is already integrated with the FM antenna on the car, would I just have to get the Sirius tuner (SCC1) and plug the antenna into that and then plug that into the back of the radio? Or do I have to get ahold of the actual Subaru interface that goes between the HU and the Sirius tuner?

Either:
    SCC1 -> compatible aftermarket HU
    or
    Subaru OEM Sirius tuner module -> compatible OEM HU
    Mixing OEM with aftermarket tuners/HUs will not work.

According to SOA's CS, 2011 cars that have the sat radio tuner from the factory have a combination AM/FM/sat antenna on the roof.

On models that did not include sat radio from the factory (which may also mean ones where sat radio was added at the port), the Sirius or XM antenna is the same as previous years -- on the inside of the windshield.

Models without sat radio are again "pre-wired" (just a cable, as I described above).

Subaru's shop manuals only show the standard AM/FM antenna (see attached page with drawing).

You can download the installation guide for the sat radio tuner kit for previous years on Subaru's tech info site.

In 2011 Imprezas with the OEM Navi HU, they install the OEM GPS antenna in the same location as previous years -- above the instrument cluster.

See this thread for info on adding a steering wheel interface module.
    Last edited by SVXdc; 07-26-2011 at 12:40 PM.

Hmm, so is it possible to add Sirius to the factory HU? It sounds like the OEM Sirius interface might be hard to get. I can't find any kind of adapter anywhere. The SCC1 is all over the place, but I can't find any OEM tuners.

If you have 2011 WRX, I believe the HU is sat ready. Just drop by your nearest subaru dealer and pick up the 2011 accessories catalog for impreza. They have sirius add-on part # and you can buy it online for cheaper price. I was going to upgrade my HU also to alpine 900bt coz i already have alpine sub and amp to go with it but as said in this thread it'll attract attention for breakin. If you want a small sub, the new sub from subaru (subaru claim that it has x-over that will enhance the factory speakers) is the ideal alternative if you small sub. It just cost (~$500) too much for a 100w sub. Considering that you don't have to buy another set of speakers (if the subaru claim is true), you can save a few bucks. it's your call.
    Last edited by nonoywrx; 03-16-2011 at 03:04 AM.

Supporting Member mjboudreaux77's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Do you have the part number for that sub? I have an OEM Pioneer with Alpine typeR/Kenwood Amp - but would rather the factory stereo look and my trunk back. My system sounds awesome, but fishing season is about to start and would like my trunk back for gear!
    If I don't die by Thursday, I'll be roarin Friday night - Jimmy Buffett

Quote Originally Posted by AmateurX View Post
    Wait! You used "professional installation" and "Best Buy" in the same paragraph!

+1 Do it yourself; take your time. Ask questions if you get stuck. There are plenty of people here that have most likely run into all the problems you'll face...
    Exactly, and most of us more than willing to help another owner avoid em
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Quote Originally Posted by mjboudreaux77 View Post
    Do you have the part number for that sub? I have an OEM Pioneer with Alpine typeR/Kenwood Amp - but would rather the factory stereo look and my trunk back. My system sounds awesome, but fishing season is about to start and would like my trunk back for gear!
    https://www.subaruonlineparts.com/pr...oducts_id=1317

whew.. that guy's expensive.. yikes. For that kinda coin you could likely build something that would have quite a bit more snot.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Yeah, it's way too expensive, but he wants space in the trunk. For a lesser price, you can buy a 2 1000W-1200W sub w/amp. The question is, do you want the sound quality or the trunk space?

I cant picture 100w of anything larger than 8" making any sort of decent sound quality. Remember to reproduce bass accurately you need power. More the better.. especially if you want it clean. Dont have to use anything larger than a 10" woofer.. but need at very least 250w rms or more to get proper crisp bass reproduction. Cars are piss poor acoustical environments so in order to get them to sound right you have to throw massive amounts of power at them.

You can build or buy an enclosure that doesn't take up much for trunk space, a decent woofer and reasonable amp for right around what that factory rig would cost shipped (or with tax). Of course it wouldn't be plug and play.. but with convenience come compromises.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Quote Originally Posted by mangostick View Post
    I cant picture 100w of anything larger than 8" making any sort of decent sound quality. Remember to reproduce bass accurately you need power. More the better.. especially if you want it clean. Dont have to use anything larger than a 10" woofer.. but need at very least 250w rms or more to get proper crisp bass reproduction. Cars are piss poor acoustical environments so in order to get them to sound right you have to throw massive amounts of power at them.

You can build or buy an enclosure that doesn't take up much for trunk space, a decent woofer and reasonable amp for right around what that factory rig would cost shipped (or with tax). Of course it wouldn't be plug and play.. but with convenience come compromises.
    I agree with you. And if you live in Los Angeles area, you can buy for less than the half of the price & no tax in downtown as long as you pay cash. You just have to learn DIY on your car. In the long run you can save tons of dough from any upgrades you make.

Quote Originally Posted by nonoywrx View Post
    I agree with you. And if you live in Los Angeles area, you can buy for less than the half of the price & no tax in downtown as long as you pay cash. You just have to learn DIY on your car. In the long run you can save tons of dough from any upgrades you make.
    haha.. nope, I'm all the way across the country.. but we're on the same page lol
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12