Changing head unit - Blue wire?

This is a discussion on Changing head unit - Blue wire? within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; Hey, i bought a new pioneer headunit to replace my old jvc one. I am only having 1 problem. There ...

Changing head unit - Blue wire?

Hey, i bought a new pioneer headunit to replace my old jvc one. I am only having 1 problem. There is a blue wire that use to be connected to the JVC head unit. There is no blue wire on the pioneer wiring loom to connect it to. Does anyone know what the blue wire is for? ( The blue wire is not the blue/white remote wire.)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Ok so i found out that its the auto antenna wire. My problem now is the pioneer head unit doesnt have a auto antenna input. It does have a remote wire for a amplifier though. Should i hook it up to that?

What model pioneer is it? Maybe we can look up the pin/wiring diagrams to better help you out. Does the car have a power antenna?
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    If you don't have a power antenna (one that needs a signal to raise it with a mechanical motor) you don't need to hook that up.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Anub1s View Post
    If you don't have a power antenna (one that needs a signal to raise it with a mechanical motor) you don't need to hook that up.

^^what he said.. if you're talking about a Subie, we don't have power antennas. I remember working with my brother's power antenna on his Mercades and the whole thing was PITA. We eventually ended up replacing the whole unit with a regular antenna because the damn thing kept jamming..

Im not sure if i have a power antenna. ITs a 04 wrx sti version 9

Wtf is radio? Delete and shave

The pioneer has a blue/white wire then correct? If so hook up that to the remote wire which is also blue/white. If you have a blue/white (remote) on the radio's harness and a Blue on the adapter harness connect them together. If your car side harness doesn't have a blue wire at all then you shouldn't need it for the radio to operate, it will operate through the antenna cable (not on the harness) I hope that helps.

Sweet thanks for that. I did what you said and almost everything is working sweet now. Only problem is after hooking my head unit up i noticed that when i turn my car off and take the key out of my ignition my clock, cigerette lighter port (radar detector), window wipers, sterio and amp stay turned on. Im scared this will drain my battery if i leave it for too long. Why is this?

I was told to join the yellow and red wires together on the head unit then join the yellow and red wires together on the car wiring harness then connect the yellow and red wire from the head unit to yellow and red wire on the car wiring harness. So the yellow and red wires are all connected together as one whole wire. Do you think this may be what is causing everything to stay powered up?
    Last edited by queenstown3; 08-28-2010 at 05:18 AM.

Or maybe its because i didnt split the remote wire. There is a amp wire and an auto antenna wire connected to the remote wire in the same place and the wires arent split apart? They are all joint together?

Quote Originally Posted by queenstown3 View Post
    Sweet thanks for that. I did what you said and almost everything is working sweet now. Only problem is after hooking my head unit up i noticed that when i turn my car off and take the key out of my ignition my clock, cigerette lighter port (radar detector), window wipers, sterio and amp stay turned on. Im scared this will drain my battery if i leave it for too long. Why is this?

I was told to join the yellow and red wires together on the head unit then join the yellow and red wires together on the car wiring harness then connect the yellow and red wire from the head unit to yellow and red wire on the car wiring harness. So the yellow and red wires are all connected together as one whole wire. Do you think this may be what is causing everything to stay powered up?
    That is why everything is staying on. The yellow wire is a battery wire that is hot all the time, the red wire is from the ignition switch, they need to be separated.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by queenstown3 View Post
    Im not sure if i have a power antenna. ITs a 04 wrx sti version 9

Does your car have a telescoping motorized antenna? In other words, does your antenna have an electric motor attached to it and automatically retract when your radio is off, and then extend itself when your radio is on?

AFIK Subaru has never used power antennas in any of their cars.

ya thats definetly causing the problem, connect yellow to yellow and red to red. Basically just match all the wire colors.

Just for reference, some cars still require power to the antenna. Not to power a motor but to amplify it. These would be the ones you see in the back windows that look like a defrost element. But that doesn't really apply here, sounds like you have your antenna connection right. Just get those power wires straight, that will definitely drain your battery.