harness wiring for 2003 wrx head unit

This is a discussion on harness wiring for 2003 wrx head unit within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; Hey all, I'm sure there is someone out there who has done a head unit wiring harness for a 2003 ...

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX

harness wiring for 2003 wrx head unit

Hey all, I'm sure there is someone out there who has done a head unit wiring harness for a 2003 wrx with premium sound (i.e. 6 speakers + subwoofer). I am curious how this differs from the standard WRX (wiring diagram found here http://www.modifiedlife.com/2003-sub...ation-diagram/). I am attempting to wire up a Pioneer AVIC unit and wish to keep the premium sound intact. Let me know!

Thanks.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

If you have the right kind of wiring harness it'll actually sound better. I have a pioneer avic head unit in my 03 right now just pretty much plug and play along with two kicker 10 inch subs.

It was all pretty straightforward for me. I just have the stock speakers but added a new deck and a 12'' sub. Everything hooked up pretty easily and most decent aftermarket decks let you select what speaker setup you are running.

I just bought a $2 harness off ebay. Then I soldered it to the wires coming out of the back of the new HU (color coded). Then I took it out to the car and plugged it in. As simple as that.

zax
    thanks for the responses, however the question seems to be avoided, perhaps I wasn't clear in asking the question. I want to know how the premium sound package (6 speaker + sub) differs from the regular WRX sound package (4 speakers) when it comes to the OEM wiring harness. I cannot find a wiring diagram for the 6 speaker setup and Crutchfield seems to deny its (premium sound package) existence. I know this was offered as an option as it is listed in http://www.cars101.com/subaru/impreza/impreza2003.html as "premium sound package 3"

Facebook me here

The wiring is a little different, but that's all after the point where it plugs into the harness as far as I can remember. The only thing I'm not certain about is the sub because of the three units I have owned all three ended up in the trash.

I believe the tweeters in the door split off from the front door speakers after the wire has already entered the doors.

Both of the WRXs I installed after market head units in had the premium sound package. Of course I replaced all of the speakers eventually anyways.

zax
    Thanks MainFrame. I'm wondering if the factory sub does utilize a pre-out since it does have an external amplifier it seems. I haven't removed the factory HU yet, I'll do it tomorrow when my harness arrives. Thanks for the response!

Facebook me here

the factory sub has its own built in amp.. I could go dig up my old OEM CD player to look at the connections, but I'm too lazy..

When you pull your head unit out, if there's just that one harness coming out of the back of it then you're good to go. If there's a second, smaller set of wires coming out of it those will be for the factory sub. I think I may have seen it set up like this, but honestly I can't remember.

If the factory sub is running off of a separate harness then you will have to get a little creative with your install. I believe all it takes is, power, ground, remote, and speaker level outputs from the head unit. So you could tap those into the adapter harness and just T the rear speaker level outs to go to the sub as well as the rear doors. (I vaguely remember the factory sub being tied into the rear channel when you would adjust the fader)

sorry I'm too lazy to actually find out right now.. if it was in front of me I could just show you how it needs to be done.

If you run into problems then I might get off my ass and dig through my TV box full of wires and components to see if I can find my old OEM HU.. and I might even still have pieces of a sub laying around somewhere too.. (I think I've drank too much between when I was still working with the OEM stuff and now)

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    the factory sub has its own built in amp.. I could go dig up my old OEM CD player to look at the connections, but I'm too lazy..

When you pull your head unit out, if there's just that one harness coming out of the back of it then you're good to go. If there's a second, smaller set of wires coming out of it those will be for the factory sub. I think I may have seen it set up like this, but honestly I can't remember.

If the factory sub is running off of a separate harness then you will have to get a little creative with your install. I believe all it takes is, power, ground, remote, and speaker level outputs from the head unit. So you could tap those into the adapter harness and just T the rear speaker level outs to go to the sub as well as the rear doors. (I vaguely remember the factory sub being tied into the rear channel when you would adjust the fader)

sorry I'm too lazy to actually find out right now.. if it was in front of me I could just show you how it needs to be done.

If you run into problems then I might get off my ass and dig through my TV box full of wires and components to see if I can find my old OEM HU.. and I might even still have pieces of a sub laying around somewhere too.. (I think I've drank too much between when I was still working with the OEM stuff and now)
    It was actually quite simple, once I pulled the head unit out. The Subaru Wire Harness is actually used twice in the dash -- one harness is connected to the standard 4 speakers/power/antenna et al, while the other harness splices in the subwoofer and front tweeters (plugs into the standard harness and provides the same connector at the recieving end). This must allow Subaru to keep the same configuration, while simply adding a few more components for the premium sound package. The factory sub does have an external amplifier, but does not receive signal from a pre-out. Actually, the signal is received from a line-out and a low-pass filter.

Facebook me here