Head Unit Bracket problem

This is a discussion on Head Unit Bracket problem within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; I am installing a Sony mex-bt3800u head unit into my 2003 wrx. I have all of the wiring complete and ...

Head Unit Bracket problem

I am installing a Sony mex-bt3800u head unit into my 2003 wrx. I have all of the wiring complete and working. But i am having trouble installing the bracket with the factory mounting brackets. The screws that hold the factory bracket too the frame are two large for the new bracket. If someone can guide me through the steps too place secure the aftermarket bracket to the factory bracket that would be awesome.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    You'll need to post up some pictures I have a feeling. Those brackets are a crap shoot. Sometimes you just have to assume an "ends justifies the means" mentality and just do what you have to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

These are the brackets I am using. I just cannot get the sleeve to screw onto the factory bracket and get the head unit inside the sleeve. What if i connect the sleeve by like a little thread and then slide the head unit it and then tighten the screws on the sleeve. Will that harm the unit?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bracket.jpg   Bracket 2.jpg   Bracket 3.jpg  

you may have to load the deck into the sleeve first, then screw down the brackets.. but make sure that the holes line up in the sleeve/bracket and deck .. under no circumstances to you want any deformation of brackets or radio chassis. Especially the chassis of the radio.

on a double din unit they dont use sleeves like that, so the brackets screw directly into the side of the radio chassis.

Single din.. yeah going to have to see if the holes line up between brackets/sleeve and deck then screw everything together. You wont be able to slide the deck in/out of the sleeve once the brackets are attached.. but once installed there isn't any need to do that anyway.
    Last edited by mangostick; 08-13-2010 at 06:50 AM.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Does the sleeve need to be very tight to the deck?

? the sleeve and deck are going to be a fairly tight fit as they slide together.. since in a traditional single din mount this is how the deck stays put. In your case you're going to have to screw the brackets to the sleeve/deck assembly.

Not sure I follow with deck to sleeve tolerances... what you need to be more concerned about are if the holes in the sleeve and deck match up with each other and then if they match up with the brackets.

why not go with a off the shelf install kit for this? Might make fitment a lil easier.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    SUCH IS MANGO!

I know the sleeve and the deck click into each other. I dont think the deck has holes for screws from the factory bracket. Do they make a generic sleeve for an 03 wrx that would fit my particular model hu

check out your local car audio shop or even a local best buy.. get a install kit for your year. I know the install kit for my 2010 did away with the factory brackets (I left them on the factory radio) and had its own. So, I'm sure you'll find much the same with a install kit for yours.

Most often they're molded out of abs plastic and fit the dash pretty well, using a single din you'll also gain a new cubby for storage.

http://www.google.com/products?q=ste...wrx&hl=en&aq=f

you'll also want to get a adapter harness too, makes things much easier without having to hack any wiring.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    SUCH IS MANGO!

you don't use the sleeve when using factory brackets. You should be able to position it so the bracket holes line up (at least a couple screws don't need to use them all) Use the screws that came in the box with the receiver. And find the holes in the receiver. And I'm assuming you have the pocket that mounts below it?