Subwoofers = Must change HU ??

This is a discussion on Subwoofers = Must change HU ?? within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; I was wanting to put a subwoofer or 2 in the trunk in my 2010 wrx, but am being told ...

Banned

Subwoofers = Must change HU ??

I was wanting to put a subwoofer or 2 in the trunk in my 2010 wrx, but am being told I have to also switch out the HU since it has no RCA outs but I really dont want to do this as it looks very nice as is, and has the aux out for my iPod.

Any suggestions ?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    No, you don't have to switch head units, but a quality aftermarket head unit will always have much better sound quality, especially when hooking up an external amplifier.

If you're dead set on keeping the factory HU all you have to do is tap into your speaker level outputs (front or rear) and run them into a line level converter. Then you can just plug RCAs into the converter and the other end into the amp. Set the gain on the converter and the amp and you're done.

I Support ClubWRX
    Agreed.

If you are going to go through the hassle of powering an amp for a sub in the back, I'd just run RCAs to it and buy a new head unit. They make a huge difference in not only sound quality, but usability of features too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

Banned
    Thanks, and agreed I do NOT want to use the LLC to RCA for my sub input, can only imagine the noise. Ill most likely switch to a full DIN HU vs getting a 1/2 din and getting the cheesey looking 30$ fitter plate that would be used in the install.

Ill have better sound output and control, RCA outs and a full size fit vs having to go cheap looking.

thx

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by trueX View Post
    Ill most likely switch to a full DIN HU vs getting a 1/2 din and getting the cheesey looking 30$ fitter plate that would be used in the install.

Ill have better sound output and control, RCA outs and a full size fit vs having to go cheap looking.

thx
    Just a heads up, I think you are off on your sizes. Typically they are single or double DIN. Not full and half. Been a while though so could be all wet on that comment.

Find a head unit with more than 1 set of preouts. # of Pre-outs is a fairly good way to tell if its a bottom, mid, or high end head unit in general. Get a mid or high at least. You won't regret it.

Also, I love the cheesy holding trays lol. I need that space to jam crap or hold an .mp3 player or such.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Right, what you're looking for is a double din HU. Single din would only fill half the space in your dash.