speaker help - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on speaker help within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; I think it's great you're trying to get him a nice present for his car, which from what you say ...

I Support ClubWRX
    I think it's great you're trying to get him a nice present for his car, which from what you say is quite important to him. You aren't really into cars, but because it's something he enjoys, you're trying to research it a bit, which is awesome. Going to a store like Best Buy for face-to-face communication is well and good, but you'll be limited to the opinions of items they actually sell. Finding a dealer who will give you the best advice for your situation rather than the best advice on how to sell you a product they have will be tough. I'm not sure if it's just the Best Buy type stores by me, but another reason to avoid a big chain is that half the time the people there are morons.

I would say you're probably better off just giving him money towards it, and throw in that thing that us guys only get on special occasions; I guarantee you he'd be just as happy as if you'd bought the speakers for him
    Last edited by EJ257; 06-22-2010 at 09:17 AM.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Yeah he was talking about a head unit too but i think the one he wanted was over 300. do you think speakers arent worth it without a head unit?

& he just has a basic stereo, no built in navigation or anything. he keeps his radar and gps on his dashboard. this probably sounds stupid- but are head units like built in or do you like attach em to the windshield like a gps or something?

and EJ257- you think it would just be better to let him pick em out and ill pay for them? thats what i was thinking because im so bad with this car stuff and i want to make sure he likes em

oh EJ257- do you have a 2005 wrx sti?

my boyfriend has a 2006, im not sure if theyre really similar but do you have any mods you did that you love and would suggest?

I Support ClubWRX
    Head unit is the thing with buttons on it and the radio display. It's the center point of the sound system, where everything comes from signal wise.

I'd just pitch in the $300 for the head unit to him personally. He could get a double thick head unit that includes a gps, or a very good single thick unit that works for what he wants.

My opinion =)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

so it like takes the place of the stereo in his car right now, right?

im taking him to best buy today so im gonna have him look at speakers and head units and see which one he kinda wants and likes and then ill probably go back and get one for him, but ill probably go with the head unit, it sounds much less complicated then these stupid speakers with all the inches and spacers and whatever.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Going to a store like Best Buy for face-to-face communication is well and good, but you'll be limited to the opinions of items they actually sell. Finding a dealer who will give you the best advice for your situation rather than the best advice on how to sell you a product they have will be tough. I'm not sure if it's just the Best Buy type stores by me, but another reason to avoid a big chain is that half the time the people there are morons.

I think you hit the nail on the head there. Back when I when I worked at RadioShack the emphasis was always on selling the product at all cost. They would even go as far as telling us we had to sell a certain number of a particular product each week and if we didn't our jobs would be in jeopardy.

Of course said product would always be the biggest piece of isht that we had(Sanyo GPS comes to mind) and we were supposed to steer customers away from the other products so we could get the crappy ones out of inventory(of course I would still tell people to buy Garmin).

That's one of many reasons I left the company.

Quote Originally Posted by stigirlfriend View Post
    so it like takes the place of the stereo in his car right now, right?

im taking him to best buy today so im gonna have him look at speakers and head units and see which one he kinda wants and likes and then ill probably go back and get one for him, but ill probably go with the head unit, it sounds much less complicated then these stupid speakers with all the inches and spacers and whatever.

The head unit IS the stereo. Right now he just has the factory head unit. Replacing this will provide the biggest improvement to the listening environment. And if he's anything like me he has done hours of research deciding which one he wants and all others just won't do.

haha that is EXACTLY how he is.
    ok so i think im going to do a head unit and he can get his own speakers cause he knows so much more about it than i do. do you know a specific brand or type that is the best in your opinion?

I Support ClubWRX
    See what he wants. Buy one with AT LEAST two sets of pre-outs if you want a decent one. The people at the shop will help you with that.

I personally like Pioneer and Alpine. Depends what interface he likes (knobs vs buttons type question). I'd see what he wants at best buy. He may want a double unit with a screen to incorporate his GPS, he may not. I'd probably suggest giving him the cash to get one and go that route honestly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

yeah ive heard alpine a few times now. im gonna have him pick one out and i'll buy it. takes away the surprise but you car lovers are so picky about things that go into your cars haha but ok, thank you very much, ill definitely go that way

Both Pioneer and Alpine are good brands. Although Apline's quality has recently fallen off a little bit. I bought one of their new head units(ida-x305) because I remembered Alpine being the best. I do like the unit, but the sound quality isn't as good as some of their older models. Also some things don't work as advertised. For instance, I am running a 120gb hard drive full of mp3s.. at first I put about 8,000 songs on it, but the lag was so slow searching for songs I couldn't take it. So I narrowed it down to about 3,300 songs and I can now scroll through them without a hitch. The problem is when you put it on shuffle it only picks from the first 200 songs. So even though I'm telling it to shuffle all the songs on the drive it ends up only playing songs that start with the letter "A". Very annoying to say the least.

Also the "customizable" background cannot be changed.

Hey I know Im jumpin into this late, but my recommendation is that you go with the head unit. They will make the stock speakers sound totally different. I spent $400 on a pioneer unit (AVH-P3200dvd) and it does everything-- its a double din, touch screen, plays cds, mp3s, dvds, picture files, you name it. Not to mention you can hook an ipod into it, or thumb drive, or whatever else you might have your music on. Though I intend on upgrading the speakers as well eventually... for now the unit itself makes the existing stock speakers sound way better. Its because these head units weve been talking about have built in amplifiers. You can either
    a. spend just a bit more to get something similar
    b. do what someone else mentioned and put 300 towards the purchase of something like this. this way, it will definitely be the model he wants, and he only has to contribute the small remaining amount.

good luck! I would die of happiness if I had a gf that did this kinda stuff!
    2006 WRB WRX Sedan @ Stage 2

www.grahamsnodgrass.com

where did you get your head unit graham46?

i mean like where do you go? did you get it online or did you go to a store? im looking for the best deal i can get and the head unit you described sounds like exactly what he's looking for. however i dont think he needs alllll of that so id like to get a similar model but hopefully it would cost a little less.

Buying online will almost always be much cheaper than buying retail. For one it's much easier to shop around because in five minutes you can look at 20+ different places that carry the item and see what their price is.

A good place to start is google shopping. It will index several places like amazon, crutchfield, etc, and show you their prices for a particular item. Crutchfield.com is an excellent resource for car audio equipment, although I'm almost always able to find what I'm looking for a little bit cheaper somewhere else.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast