Any audio freaks here? What is your system?

This is a discussion on Any audio freaks here? What is your system? within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; Just curious if any of you are audio freaks per say. Been a hobby of mine since I started driving. ...

I Support ClubWRX

Any audio freaks here? What is your system?

Just curious if any of you are audio freaks per say. Been a hobby of mine since I started driving. Most of my money was spent fixing my caddy in high school (free car but had to pay repairs... darn parental feudal system), so didn't have much money to put into the system. I mostly shopped around on ebay and craigslist for my stuff. It's not the best, but it works for my purposes, and wiring harnesses and such are probably the most expensive part of my sound system.

Door woofers: 6.5" JBLs... They are so old you can't tell what model they are. Do a great job, specifically with mids and high mids. I threw a coil on them to cut out the real high stuff from them. Price was right, free after transportation and I threw a refoam kit on them.

Door tweeters: JBL grand tour tweeters. Got them in an open box set for $5 including the passive crossover. Not a huge fan. Some frequency spikes and kinda harsh sounding for my liking. Bright though. Hard to work with that van's (horrible) acoustics, so I guess I can't complain.

Subs: Kind of long story here. Found an old (OLD) rockford fosgate bandpass enclosure on craigs list for $10. This was back from when they really made great stuff. The seller said "It was broken". I went over to grab it, figuring it was a good enclosure regardless. Turns out, the foam had just turned to powder it was so old. I called R.F. about it, and they had a guy who has been working there for about 30 years and he said that was his main project when he started. Got a refoam kit and smacked it on both 8" woofers in it. Construction quality was amazing. Inside of the sealed half looked brand new. Sounds great now. I have to normally throttle it back to allow my front stage to keep up.

Amps: Got a JBL grand tour amp (240W peak) for real cheap on craigs list, if I remember right it was $15 and almost new. Woo for Honda owners wrecking . It's running the doors. The sub is powered by an OLD (almost as old as the sub) USAmps150. This was back when they made quality products. The 150W is not peak like amps are rated anymore. Its a great amp. Works good with the sub, just have to throttle the amp back a bit.

Head Unit: Have two sitting around, an old eclipse and pioneer DEH-1600. Both were bought by my dad before and taken out of cars and were paper weights. I saved them from the dumpster lol. Had the eclipse in, but just recently cut the pioneer apart to solder in a connection for an aux in. Worked. Still finishing mounting the switch to flip between aux and radio and need to do the amp adjustment and such. I think I like the pioneer better, but it was their bottom line head unit so adjustments had to be made (RCA splitter for amps, aux in).

Sound Deadening:

...Mostly JBL stuff now that I'm looking at it. It's all different generation equipment, but I've found their stuff holds up well. Maybe not the new stuff as much, I'll have to keep an eye on that amp.

Your turn? Maybe?
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Head Unit:
    Alpine 7 in Flip out monitor w/dvd
    Alpine ERAG320 Signal processor

Front Doors: Polk Audio DB6500 components
    Rear Doors: stock

Amps:
    Sub amp- Rockford Fosgate BD1000 monoblock
    Mids and Highs- Alpine 4 channel

Subs:
    2 Old School Rockford Fosgate Power HX2 15's..each in a ported enclosure.

The entire car is fattmated, roof, floor, doors, ect. Just started putting in some enolite to help with road noise
    VF39'd and Clark Tuned
    BugEyeMafia #176
    Basshead Member #3

I Support ClubWRX
    Nice.

How does the fatmat compare to dynamat?

What do you think about the 15s Vs a smaller diameter woofer?
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log

I think it compares great to dynamatt. Ive used both and went back to fattmat for price. Fattmatt was about half the price if I remember.

I have had all sorts of different set ups 1 ten, 2 tens, 1 twelve, 2 twelves, 4 tens, 4 twelves, 1 fifteen, 2 fifteens and for what I like there is no comparison to the 15 as long as you have the power to push it.
    VF39'd and Clark Tuned
    BugEyeMafia #176
    Basshead Member #3

I Support ClubWRX
    Nice, I've always thought dynamatt was a bit overpriced compared to the competitors. Most of them you can double spread over the price of dynamatt.

That ancient rockford mystery box is pretty amazing for 2x8" woofers. I can't believe both how efficient it is and how nicely it hits. Only problem is the frequency response isn't the best. Those higher pitched notes that border on midbass (normally found in classic rock come to think of it) really don't hit well at all. Price was right though lol.

You do an active crossover?
    2011 STi Build Log