Upgrading the HU in my 2010 WRX
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Upgrading the HU in my 2010 WRX within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; I am totally redoing my sound system because the 10 speaker "premium" system is garbage. Anyhow I have the Media, ...

Upgrading the HU in my 2010 WRX

I am totally redoing my sound system because the 10 speaker "premium" system is garbage.

Anyhow I have the Media, Blue tooth, and the Satellite radio package as well.

I assume I am going to lose the Blue tooth and the media center. But I do not want to mount another Satellite antenna since the stock one is integrated into the regular antenna on the top of the car.

Is there a way to plug the OEM satellite antenna into the new Head Unit?

I am going to be using the Kenwood DNS6160. ( I would get the 6140 if the factory blue tooth would integrate as well but i doubt it does.)

http://signature.crutchfield.com/s_1...tp=20212&avf=N

Has anyone successfully done this?

P.S. I did search the forum first and did not find the info.

Thanks,
    -Taz

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Yes, the OEM accessories won't work with an aftermarket HU. However, there are many Subaru owners who want to keep their stock stereo, so you'll likely have no problem selling those.

In previous years (where the sat radio antenna was mounted on the upper corner of the inside of the windshield) I'm fairly sure that the plug was one commonly used for aftermarket antennas. I haven't seen a 2010, but suspect the plug will be the same.

In the worst case, if Subaru did switch to a less common plug, I'll bet you can find an adapter rather than having to toss the OEM antenna.

Thanks for the info. I sent you a PM regarding one more question.

[answering your PM'd question about retaining the USB jack]

I haven't seen the USB connector on the back of Subaru's center console pod that has the aux and USB jacks, but if it's non-standard, I probably don't have that.

If you have a chance to open it up and post some clear, close-up pictures, I'd be interested to see those (as would many other owners, I'm sure).

See Subaru's installation instructions on their "Tech Info" site:
    BTW, the instructions for many accessories also show how to remove the factory radio.

Hopefully the cable from the media center to the BUS cable is standard.

I will certainly let you know once I undertake the project in the near future

Thanks!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.