Radio Help

This is a discussion on Radio Help within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; I just bought a 2010 WRX limited. I love everything but the (so called) premium radio. Could someone please tell ...

Banned

Radio Help

I just bought a 2010 WRX limited. I love everything but the (so called) premium radio. Could someone please tell me if it's the H.U. itself or the speakers that sound so crappy. And if it is the H.U. does anyone have instructions on how to pull out the radio.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

In most cases the head unit doesn't provide a lot of watts per channel. I'm not positive about the '10 because I have an 07, but I first switched out the HU with a DD DVD, and the highs sounded better. Eventually I swapped out every audio component in the car. Might want to start with the HU. I'm sure you can find a video online that may guide you in removing the old unit. And Welcome.
    Hawkeye Alliance#208
    "Time to stab out" - Andy Clair

I Support ClubWRX
    A good headunit will make a difference, and is a good starting point for better audio quality and more functionality
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I would never pay extra for the "premium audio" option... That being said, it kinda depends what you want from you audio setup ultimately.
    If you want to run multiple amps and subs, you'll have to dump everything. If you wanna keep a stock appearance, keep your HU and get an outboard amp and replace the speakers.
    If you wanna go ahead and get a new HU, a good option is to buy from Crutchfield . com their service is second to none. Though they may be a couple bucks more expensive than other vendors, they will include detailed instruction with pictures and wiring harnesses specific to your car, and all the extras at no cost, plus lifetime tech support....

Banned
    Okay From what Most everyone are saying changing the HU gives the best results. I already have a JVC XG700 that I pulled out of my last car (it sounded awesome in it). It also has sub out jacks on the back. I have an amp. which fed a 10 inch sub. This system sounded awesome in my last car. I have ordered a dash kit and a wiring harness. I have also ordered a sirius adapter for the JVC HU. As I've said , I have the limited with media hub and sirius. My questions are these :

Where is the factory sirius antenna located ?

Can I just unplug the existing antenna from wherever it is connected and plug it into my JVC (Is it a standard plug) ?

I willing to give up the media hub and steering wheel controls for better sound but I'm not crazy about tacking a sisrius antenna on the roof.

The sirius antenna is that big ugly puck in the upper right hand corner of your windshield.

I don't believe it's a standard plug, so you're probably going to end up ripping it out and putting a brand new one in.

If you go ahead and do it, let the rest of us know, cause there's a couple of us ready to do it also.

Quote Originally Posted by ralph958 View Post
    Okay From what Most everyone are saying changing the HU gives the best results. I already have a JVC XG700 that I pulled out of my last car (it sounded awesome in it). It also has sub out jacks on the back. I have an amp. which fed a 10 inch sub. This system sounded awesome in my last car. I have ordered a dash kit and a wiring harness. I have also ordered a sirius adapter for the JVC HU. As I've said , I have the limited with media hub and sirius. My questions are these :

Where is the factory sirius antenna located ?

Can I just unplug the existing antenna from wherever it is connected and plug it into my JVC (Is it a standard plug) ?

I willing to give up the media hub and steering wheel controls for better sound but I'm not crazy about tacking a sisrius antenna on the roof.
    Get a pioneer AVH-P4200 head unit or look into it. I thought I wouldnt care about giving up the steering wheel controls but you will regret it. Get a head unit that has a module that will work with them. Also that will work with satellite radio. I wouldnt want to have a brand new car without things like steering wheel controls and everything working like factory. But thats me. The factory speakers arnt bad. The cones are an aluminum weave cone. They sound good with some power.
    Last edited by Nigel79; 05-01-2010 at 06:21 PM.
    '09 Sti

Banned
    are you saying that the AVH-P4200 will work with the steering wheel controls and the Sirius setup already in my car ?
    Do you need a special module for the Wheel controls or does it plug right into the back ? Please respond !

Radio removal/replacement threads:

Read through the threads -- it's usually not necessary to remove the large "ribbon" trim piece that goes out to the door.

Also see my thread here:
    (be sure to see the post about 2008-up OEM radios, including the need for a dash trim piece or JDM replacement fascia).

Most aftermarket HUs today will work with a car's steering wheel audio controls (SWCs). Most HUs require an interface module. This converts from the resistor values in the Subaru's wheel buttons to what the HU wants to see. A small number of HUs can "learn" the car's SWCs (they effectively have an interface built in).

There are two brands of interface modules available: the Axxess ASWC from Metra, and the SWI-* from PAC Audio (PAC has different models for different HU brands -- SWI-PS, SWI-JACK, SWI-ECL2, etc.).

I have the ASWC available, along with radio wiring harnesses that include the pins/wires for Subaru's SWC pins. None of the other harness manufacturers include those wires. Contact me for more info (click on my username and use the 'send e-mail' link and/or see my homepage).

Several other Subaru owners have installed the ASWC recently and posted rave reviews. In most cases, the module will detect both the car and the HU and automatically program itself (manual programming is available too if you want to reassign any of your wheel's buttons).

PAC's units always require manual programming, and some people have complained they have a lag between when you press a SWC button and when the HU reacts.

Your car's AM/FM antenna plug may be Subaru's new proprietary plug (has a rectangular gray plastic body). Subaru has switched some recent Imprezas and Foresters. Some models have the new plug, but already have an adapter, because the OEM radio uses the old Motorola antenna socket. You'll need to look behind your radio to see what you have.

I'm pretty sure the factory satellite radio antenna does use a standard plug, so you'll be able to plug that into an aftermarket sat radio tuner.

+1 on buying from Crutchfield, especially if you're fairly new to car stereo installs. The little extra you might pay will more than be made up for by their freebies and top-notch tech support.

Banned
    SVXdc , Thanks alot man . You've been very helpful.
    You're saying though my radio may not have a standard antenna input (that sucks !) , and the Scosche dash kit I bought to put my Dual Din HU in is not enough to fit properly in the opening ? (That really sucks). If that's the case , I may go back to my old option of just adding a sub . My problem with that is where to tap off of the speakers at. Which brings me to another question. Could I buy a subwoofer T-Harness and wire my amp up to that. If so , does anyone know where I can get one and the pinout info. on it ?? Sorry for all the questions guys but I want as much info. as I can get before I rip my car apart >

You're saying ... the Scosche dash kit I bought to put my Dual Din HU in is not enough to fit properly in the opening ?
    No, I was just saying that a dash kit or JDM fascia is needed. You may already have what you need. Which Scosche kit did you get? See the link early in post #11 in my 'Stock HU info' thread.

... I may go back to my old option of just adding a sub . My problem with that is where to tap off of the speakers at.
    Easiest place is behind the HU. The pin-out for the radio harness is in that same post (#11).

Could I buy a subwoofer T-Harness and wire my amp up to that.
    You could, but they're pricey -- around $100 from dealers.

I have both the "forward" and reverse 20-pin radio harnesses available for a lot less. They include all of the pins/wires that Subarus use. Many people have used the pair to add a sub and/or a new amp for the main speakers.

(click to see larger image)

But I think you should go with the aftermarket HU. If you still want to add a sub later, it's a bit easier when the HU has line-level outputs for a subwoofer.

Banned
    You're a wealth of information . Thanks again.
    I assume that the second big connector on the back is for the Sirius / Media Hub connection. Where is the sirius module and the antenna plug (assuming it is a normal plug) so I can hook it up to my JVC sirius adapter. My radio is the Premium without nav. so from the looks of your photo , it has a normal AM/FM antenna socket on the back (which is good).
    Also what is premium on my radio ? It looks the same as the one in the base. Is it just the speakers ?

Where is the sirius module and the antenna plug (assuming it is a normal plug) so I can hook it up to my JVC sirius adapter.
    There are brackets that attach the module to either the top or bottom of the factory radio.

The OEM sat radio antenna plug is behind the radio.

Take a look at Subaru's Tech Info site (link is early in my 'Stock HU info' thread) -- you can download their installation instructions for the sat radio accessory.

My radio is the Premium without nav. so from the looks of your photo , it has a normal AM/FM antenna socket on the back
    Which picture? The links I posted above show a 2008 Impreza and a 2009 Forester. Subaru frequently has many radios that look very similar on the front, but have slightly different features.

All bets are off with your 2010. As I said, Subaru has changed some recent Imprezas and Foresters. I don't know exactly which ones have the new antenna plug now.