03 WRX- mp3 signal options- ?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 03 WRX- mp3 signal options- ? within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; Hi, I have a stock HU which features FM radio,cd, and cassette tape- I don't use the last two . ...

1x2

03 WRX- mp3 signal options- ?

Hi,
    I have a stock HU which features FM radio,cd, and cassette tape- I don't use the last two . I'm currently feeding the signal from my mp3 player to the FM radio using a small plug-in FM transmitter (there's no brand on it, but IIRC it's from Monster). However, the radio picks up intermittent static regardless of which of the 8 transmit frequencies I choose and the sound is degraded somewhat (even more than using the compressed mp3 format). For instance, radio reception cuts off somewhere around 15.5-16.5kHz, if I remember right.

Is there some way short of buying a new head unit to clean up, improve or otherwise hard-wire a signal source into the stock head unit? I considered the "cassette" option, but understand that aligning the cassette with the tape head is iffy.

On another note, I have one of the underseat subwoofers. Does this feed more power to the 4 door speakers than the HU alone, or does the amp inside the subwoofer only power the subwoofer speaker?

Thanks for any ideas,
    1x2
    Last edited by 1x2; 04-27-2010 at 12:14 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Either go the cassette route or get a new head unit, a new head unit will sound better anyway.
    My woman hates the money pit
    2002 WRX Hybrid 2.5L 16G

1x2
    Cassette route is out- I guess I look for a new HU.
    Thanks for the thought, Sunkist.
    1x2

Clarion CX 609. Looks stock, does all the stuff.
    02redwagone on Nasioc

1x2
    Quote Originally Posted by 02radioflyer View Post
    Excellent- I'll check it out.
    Like your username

1x2
    Quote Originally Posted by 02radioflyer View Post
    Seriously- it does. 22 wattts RMS, most I know of out of a HU, usb 2.0, bluetooth, adjustable aux in, fits the factory slot- Crutchfield has it...

I have the Pioneer DEH-2100IB. I use it with both my ipod and iphone. Works great and it's green lighting matches the cars which is cool.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-1vQYlnt...tml?tab=review
    2003 WRX Midnight Black Pearl

My Pics: Pic 1 Pic 2 Pic 3 Pic 4

1x2
    Bebop,
    Do you use an external amp with that?
    1x2

Quote Originally Posted by 1x2 View Post
    Bebop,
    Do you use an external amp with that?
    1x2
    I decided to go easy on the sound system so no amp. Sorry

1x2
    "2003 WRX Midnight Black Pearl"

That's my car

"2003 WRX Midnight Black Pearl"

That's my car
    Nice! Hope your paint is in better shape than mine.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I went with an Alpine ida-x305 with a dedicated 120gb HDD hooked to the USB. Amped by a PDX-4.100. 131watts RMS per channel goodness.

(and I only paid $32 for the hard drive, brand new, on ebay)

ohh yea, and only paid $101 for the amp due to a shipping mistake in my favor, lol

1x2
    Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    I went with an Alpine ida-x305 with a dedicated 120gb HDD hooked to the USB. Amped by a PDX-4.100. 131watts RMS per channel goodness.

(and I only paid $32 for the hard drive, brand new, on ebay)

ohh yea, and only paid $101 for the amp due to a shipping mistake in my favor, lol
    That's sweet- over $700 worth just for power- can't touch your pricing

What're you doing for speakers? If using stock, how do you keep from blowing them out, just listen for the distortion?
    Last edited by 1x2; 05-17-2010 at 12:42 AM.

I Support ClubWRX
    If you have a bugeye car with an antenna that is on the left side top pillar, so that you can reach it when driving, all you need to do to maximize FM reception from a MP3 FM transmitter attached to your player is to place the player in the centre console below the ash tray, and retract the antenna fully so that it does not protrude at all from the car. This will minimize the signal from any FM source except the one in your car -- your MP3 player. Should get rid of all hiss etc. Try it.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    What're you doing for speakers? If using stock, how do you keep from blowing them out, just listen for the distortion?

In the front I am running 6.5" Infinity Kappa Reference coaxials off the amp. I think I payed $40 for them. The rear doors have Sony Xplod 5.25" coaxials running off the rear channel of the HU. Then I have 5"x7" Cerwin Vega coaxials in the rear deck running off the amp.

I also have some Kenwood tweeters installed in the front doors, but I unhooked them because they're just too harsh with that much power running to them.

And the good ol Boss Audio BASS600 installed under the driver's seat. It was great when I was running everything off of HU power, but with the amp hooked up to the other speakers it just can't keep up.

I'm planning on putting a set of Hybrid Audio Imagine series components in the front doors and building custom mounts to put the Infinity's in the rear deck when I've got the time/money. Of course that'll be after I dyno mat the entire car.. so who knows when I'll actually get around to it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.