Questions on head unit install
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Questions on head unit install within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; Morning everyone So, I couldnt stand the sound of the stock head unit in my 06 TR. It was just ...

Questions on head unit install

Morning everyone

So, I couldnt stand the sound of the stock head unit in my 06 TR. It was just awful. After looking at the thread on here of reputable website for after market stereos, I came across the wonderful site of crutchfield. I love how they ask what car you have first so you know you cant buy anything that wont fit. Anyway, bought one of the new pioneer AVH dvd units, its sickkk-- Its coming today, and I have never actually put one in myself. Everyone says its so easy though, and its coming with free wiring harness and instructions and everything, I just wanted to see if anyone had any major points of advice or words of wisdom for doing this task on an 06 TR or something similar. Like, Im sure connecting the wires and everything is a piece of cake, but what I wanna know is how to get the old one out?? Im gonna meet up with a friend later who has done this process several times, but if the package comes hours before hes available, I might get a little ansy and see what I can accomplish on my own.
    So, like I said, just seeing what peoples experiences have been-- piece of cake, or horror story? I have no problem waiting till tomorrow or whenever I can get the assistance of a person with experience, just asking on here cause the package is coming today and Im excited
    2006 WRB WRX Sedan @ Stage 2

www.grahamsnodgrass.com

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    In my 02 it's a piece of cake. There's just 6 screws holding the factory HU in, then I took the brackets off the sides of the factory HU and put them on the aftermarket one.

One thing you will want is a wiring harness to plug into your car's factory wiring(I got one on ebay for less than $3). Then you pretty much just match up the colors on the wires. And you should mount the ground wire to something solid inside the dash that's attached to the frame of the car. Do not run the ground into the factory ground wire on the harness, as it is ran for who knows how long, side by side with power wires.

Thanks for the info man! I ordered the unit from crutchfield, so it came with the harness for free, as well as specific instructions for my year car and everything-- Crutchfield seems pretty sick. I got caught up with other stuff today, Im gonna get a friend to help me with it tomorrow and then Ill post some pics
    2006 WRB WRX Sedan @ Stage 2

www.grahamsnodgrass.com

Crutchfield is pretty good for reviews, and their prices aren't bad either. But I wouldn't count on their fitment guide. When I entered in the details of my car they told me that none of the speakers I currently have installed will fit.

im planning to install a FH-P8000BT from Pioneer. i wonder if it would be hard to install. and do i need one of those wiring harness like you mentioned before?

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by zeeboy View Post
    im planning to install a FH-P8000BT from Pioneer. i wonder if it would be hard to install. and do i need one of those wiring harness like you mentioned before?
    Unless you want to hack up the stock wiring, yes you do. I got my wiring harness from BestBuy for cheap, installed my deck in about 15 minutes, of course, I've done I don't know how many deck installs now in various cars, but at least 3 or 4 in various WRX's.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

You always need the aftermarket radio harness.

Get a dozen blue shrink tube butt splices and a crimp tool/ stripper. ($10) This is the fast way. Or solder and shrink if you're handy with one. Dont break strands when you strip the wires and tug test each connection after crimping/soldering. Use a trusty lighter to shrink the tubes.

Twisting and taping a harness is never the right way.

Take your time. Speed comes after efficiency.
    02redwagone on Nasioc

alright, thanks guys. and i can get them from bestbuy right?

If you are in a hurry yes Best Buy has what you need. But if you want to save a few bucks go online and find what you need. Best Buy is really overpriced.

I have no idea why anybody would think Crutchfield is cheap. They are the most expensive place out there.....
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I wouldn't say they're the most expensive by far. From what I've seen they're about 10% more expensive than the cheapest places. This is opposed to the most expensive places, which are regularly 200% more expensive.

I've seen the harnesses selling for $19.99 at places like Best Buy, Fry's, Car Toys, etc. You can get them on ebay for less than $3 with free shipping..

went to BESTBUY this afternoon. no more in stock. so i guess i just get it from ebay. btw, had a deal for a FH-P8000BT today on craigslist. 150 bucks. any thoughts from you guys?

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    Crutchfield is pretty good for reviews, and their prices aren't bad either. But I wouldn't count on their fitment guide.
    agreed. fitment isnt always right. found this out on my wifes 04 jeep. they said a radio i already had wouldnt fit in the jeep but i found out it did fit. i couldnt find a buyer for it so i decided to try it out anyways perfect fit.
    HAWK-EYE ALLIANCE #7878
    2007 WRX TR
    My work in progress. http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/off-to...ld-thread.html

went to BESTBUY this afternoon. no more in stock. so i guess i just get it from ebay. btw, had a deal for a FH-P8000BT today on craigslist. 150 bucks. any thoughts from you guys?
    i dont know anything about the unit your looking at but. if its a good price thats up to u. i am sure u know this. just remember its used electronics. u could get years out of it or only a few days. depends on how old it is the manufactor warrenty my be expired then your out 150 bucks. but if its a good price and u get your money out of it then you made out. i have bought used electronics in the past and this is on my mind before i buy. so far i have made out good. good luck
    HAWK-EYE ALLIANCE #7878
    2007 WRX TR
    My work in progress. http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/off-to...ld-thread.html

car audio shop/radio shack/MalWart and any automotive store for splices
    02redwagone on Nasioc

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.