WRX 2010 Headunits
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on WRX 2010 Headunits within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; I just placed an order for a Subaru WRX 2010 with 4 extras: Short shifter, bushings, extendable arm rest, and ...

WRX 2010 Headunits

I just placed an order for a Subaru WRX 2010 with 4 extras: Short shifter, bushings, extendable arm rest, and wheel locks. I know the audio in Subaru's stock are pretty lame so I was looking for an aftermarket headunit that would fill the whole slot with touch screen capabilities, bluetooth and ipod control capabilities that I'd still be able to use my wheel controls to control. Is this a dream? are there any sites that i can look at to get this kind of headunit or should i have just got the option from subaru with the full head unit?

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I'm looking for the same thing. There are a few out there that seem to fit the bill. Here's a Clarion from Crutchfield I'm looking at:

Clarion VX400 DVD receiver at Crutchfield.com

I don't know if the steering wheel controls will work on it, though.

Quote Originally Posted by antistr3ss View Post
    I just placed an order for a Subaru WRX 2010 with 4 extras: Short shifter, bushings, extendable arm rest, and wheel locks. I know the audio in Subaru's stock are pretty lame so I was looking for an aftermarket headunit that would fill the whole slot with touch screen capabilities, bluetooth and ipod control capabilities that I'd still be able to use my wheel controls to control. Is this a dream? are there any sites that i can look at to get this kind of headunit or should i have just got the option from subaru with the full head unit?

Thanks
    I Have an 09 wrx and i have an eclipse 6620 head unit. i always get compliments on how it looks. plus eclipse comes with the best warranty. =] my model is an 08 so the new on is probable even better

Pioneer AVIC series FTW

will do everything you listed, and can be found for some really sweet deals if you shop around.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Have a look at Pioneer's AVH-P3200BT as well. I just put in a 4200 (everything you listed, short of bluetooth) this past weekend and seriously impressed with the improvement in sound quality with the stock speakers. Man, those stock clarion units are dogs!

oh, and you'll need a dash kit + harness, too. I used Scosche for both. Link here. The install came out really nice. Initially I wasn't impressed with the fit of the dash kit, but after putting it into the dash it looks very clean and flush. No trouble at all.
    Last edited by thinkincolor; 03-23-2010 at 11:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by thinkincolor View Post
    Have a look at Pioneer's AVH-P3200BT as well. I just put in a 4200 (everything you listed, short of bluetooth)
    ? .. link you provided says bluetooth equipped... you mean it doesn't have nav ...

doh! nevermind, read again and saw that you didn't get the exact model in the link.

It looks badass though, definitely more modern looking than the earlier avic series like I have. Then again, I bought mine 3 yrs ago too. My wrx is its second home.

either way upgrading the head unit makes a gigantic difference. I've heard around the way that amping the factory head unit is also a good alternative. It just doesn't have the powersupply/amplifier to really push solid sound. I still have mine on stock speakers and it sounds great. I did add the sail panels with a pair of tweets I had laying around.. and have a audio integrations sub enclosure awaiting installation too. Unless you want really robust bass response the factory speakers do pretty well with a little more snot going to them.
    Last edited by mangostick; 03-24-2010 at 11:07 AM.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Quote Originally Posted by mangostick View Post
    ? .. link you provided says bluetooth equipped... you mean it doesn't have nav ...

doh! nevermind, read again and saw that you didn't get the exact model in the link.
    I'm 90% sure that you can add nav to these newer units. I know you can on the 4200. Not sure about the 3200.

That link should take you directly to the Pioneer's 3200BT page ...

Add the nav?

that'd be feckin sweet. I wonder if they're still using IGO for the nav software? The interface is pretty decent on the avic but not quite as intuitive as the garmin hand held units are.

Your link worked fine, I had a dull brain moment

Oh, interesting aside for those that like to play with software. The avic units run on Win CE .. so they're completely hackable. AVIC411 forum has all kinds of info. I'm not sure on the new units.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    SUCH IS MANGO!

FYI - there are also some rebates right now on Pioneers if you get them from an authorized dealer.

Pioneer USA - Navi-Days Navigation Rebate

edit:

After looking at their resellers eligible for the rebate, you're best bet is amazon.com if you don't care about "authorized'.

Amazon.com: Pioneer AVIC-X910BT 5.8-Inch In-Dash Navigation A/V Receiver with DVD Playback and Bluetooth: Automotive
    Last edited by rpenna; 03-30-2010 at 02:57 PM.

I have a Pioneer AVH-4200DVD. I think it's going around $500 on Amazon, and you can pick up bluetooth and nav modules for around $150 each for it.

It's a 7" touchscreen and looks fantastic in my '10 WRX.

I bought my AVH-P4200DVD from Art of Sale (M Web, inc) for just over $400 after shipping. I'd never ordered through them, and some of the ResellerRatings.com reviews for the site were a slightly sketchy, but my experience was great. Best price I could find and very fast shipping. I had the unit at my door within the same week of ordering.

Thanks for all the feedback so far. when i looked on amazon for the AVIC-Z110BT it had a car checker and it said this unit doesn't fit. does anyone know for sure if this will fit or not? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by thinkincolor View Post
    I'm 90% sure that you can add nav to these newer units. I know you can on the 4200. Not sure about the 3200.

That link should take you directly to the Pioneer's 3200BT page ...

when i looked on amazon for the AVIC-Z110BT it had a car checker and it said this unit doesn't fit. does anyone know for sure if this will fit or not? Thanks.
    Crutchfield says it'll fit. Plus here's a screenshot of the dimensions from the AVIC-Z110BT manual vs. the AVH-P4200DVD manual. They're essentially identical (mm differences on the "nose") but exactly the same chassis size.

Thanks
    you can get a pac-swi to keep your steering wheel controls. nice feature. its a little delayed but i love having my controls at my fingers
    2010 WRX H/B
    stage 2 cobb access port, invidia down pipe and a turboxs cat back

I have the AVIC F700. Pretty sweet. But... for the budget, go with this... Clarion NX409 Navigation receiver at Crutchfield.com
    08 WRX: Cobb lowering springs, SPT short throw (horrible choice), N1 Catback, Perrin DP, Perrin CAI, Perrin Stage 2 Cobb AP tune, No add on stickers (-75hp)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.