Set On New Head Unit... ('09)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Set On New Head Unit... ('09) within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; Alright well I've posted a thread or two about this before but I'm pretty set on getting a new stereo ...

Set On New Head Unit... ('09)

Alright well I've posted a thread or two about this before but I'm pretty set on getting a new stereo system in the WRX with some of my tax return money. I'm kinda set on getting the Alpine CDA-105. I was just wondering if anyone knows if they have install kits out yet for the '08+ gen. Impreza so the stereo will fit in replacement of the stock one. Everyone told me to just get a Double-DIN to make sure it fit and to look cleaner but I really don't feel like paying that much for a head unit and I feel a little safer being able to take the face plate off. So here's a couple questions...

1.) Again, do they have the install kits for the new gen. of Imprezas available?

2.) Should I have Best Buy do it or should I do it myself? I get a little worried taking my car places and having people work on it. Especially a car like the WRX. All I can think of is people trashing my tranny or going for a joy ride.

3.) Should I do a speaker upgrade as well or should I be fine with just a new head unit? I don't want to go all out and get a sub or anything.

Also if anyone could post pics. of their non Double-DIN stereo unit in an '08+ Impreza. Thanks in advance guys.
    2009 Subaru WRX (Hatch/Satin White Pearl) (*SOLD!*)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Nobody? lol okay... well I decided to do the install w/ my sisters boyfriend. Another question if anyone will answer.. are the speakers harness wired or what? Just want to know how easy they will be to change.

Also the units I'm planning on going with are:

-Alpine CDA-105 head unit
    -Sony XS-GT1626A speakers in the front and rear

any input is very much appreciated!
    Last edited by Tim620X; 02-06-2010 at 08:34 PM.

Why not get alpine speakers too. I always like my system components to match. If your looking to buy check out onlinecarstereo.com they have a wide range of products and some good prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Chillout View Post
    Why not get alpine speakers too. I always like my system components to match. If your looking to buy check out onlinecarstereo.com they have a wide range of products and some good prices.
    I was going to get Alpine speakers but apparently the ones I wanted to get wont fit in my car and the only ones that will are pretty damn pricey.

I know that they do make dash kits. I would look at crutchfield.com. You can input your car data and get the correct dash kit that fits. I got mine from there but I went with doubledin. When you get new doors speakers you have to get speacial mounting brackets. Make sure to look into that!

I went with the DD touchscreen.

2009 Red WRX Sedan
    2003 Red Honda VFR
    1998 Red(ish) Regal GSX, Stage 3 Supercharged (SOLD)
    1991 Red K5 Blazer (SOLD)

Thanks msedbaue. I actually just randomly came across CrutchField.com this weekend so I was planning on buying from there. Seems like a great website! They include all of the hardware to inst. the head unit and speakers for free. Just kind sucks because it seems like they're not giving me too many options of speakers that will "fit" in my car.

No problem! I found all the parts I needed from that website, but then I purchased from a variety of places. (pinching pennies) If you do split up where you buy (dash kit, headunit, wiring harness) you could probably save a few bucks but sometimes its not worth it. Good luck with the install! Its a lot easier than it seems.
    2009 Red WRX Sedan
    2003 Red Honda VFR

Quote Originally Posted by msedbaue View Post
    No problem! I found all the parts I needed from that website, but then I purchased from a variety of places. (pinching pennies) If you do split up where you buy (dash kit, headunit, wiring harness) you could probably save a few bucks but sometimes its not worth it. Good luck with the install! Its a lot easier than it seems.
    The head unit I'm looking to buy is $199.99 pretty much every where so getting the dash kit, wiring harness, etc. for free is a hell of a deal. Still trying to decide on whether or not to get speakers. Did you replace your stock speakers or no?

I personally did not get door speakers. I installed two 10in alpine type R's to fill in some of the bass. I think just adding the aftermarket headunit made the stock speakers sound waaayyy better. My recommendation is to try it first. Put in the headunit drive around for a while, play with the equalizer, and just see what you think. I like bass and thats why I added the subs, but I actually have the subs turned way down. Just enough to add a little rumble, but not enough to add any rattle.

2009 Red WRX Sedan
    2003 Red Honda VFR

Yeah I guess I'll just go with the head unit for now and see how it sounds. I've read from a few members that just changing the head unit was a huge difference. This way I wont have to tear apart my doors.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim620X View Post
    The head unit I'm looking to buy is $199.99 pretty much every where.
    I have a very similar unit from alpine I like a lot, so thats probably a good choice. It can be had from amazon for $162 though.

Save yourself some money, find what you want from crutchfield and buy it from online car stereo.

Quote Originally Posted by Chillout View Post
    Save yourself some money, find what you want from crutchfield and buy it from online car stereo.
    lol dude I don't get why you're so in love with that site. For the unit I want it's $195 and then you have to buy the inst. kit, wiring harness, etc. for it. Crutchfield it's $199.99 and you get all that stuff for free!

Sorry then, last time I bought audio equipment it was atleast half price of what crutchfield had then listed at. Good luck.

if you have some skills, then you don't even have to worry about door mounting brackets for you speakers, you can most likely modify your doors a little, make it work.

i cut out some of my door panel to fit my 6.5" rear speakers! all i did was dremel out a larger opening then did a little wood work to bring the speaker a little further into the door panel so the windows would clear when open.

just my two cents, but then again if you're going with crutchfield, let them take care of everything for you.

BTW, double din FTMFW!

Quote Originally Posted by msedbaue View Post
    I know that they do make dash kits. I would look at crutchfield.com. You can input your car data and get the correct dash kit that fits. I got mine from there but I went with doubledin. When you get new doors speakers you have to get speacial mounting brackets. Make sure to look into that!

I went with the DD touchscreen.

NICE SOCKS!
    Last edited by ohemgeeitsNiko; 02-11-2010 at 06:56 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast