iPod Interface for '10 WRX Premium

This is a discussion on iPod Interface for '10 WRX Premium within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; Hey guys/gals, I just picked up my 2010 WRX Premium Pkg last night and had a quick question. When I ...

iPod Interface for '10 WRX Premium

Hey guys/gals, I just picked up my 2010 WRX Premium Pkg last night and had a quick question. When I asked the dealership about purchashing the iPod Interface they said the only thing available was the Media Hub for 2010 model WRX's. This surprised me because when you build a '10 model WRX on Subaru's website it has the option of "Ipod Interface" for something around $200 installed. The "Media Hub" is about $400installed!! I found the Ipod Interface on Chaplin's Genuine Subaru Parts website but it says for 2008-2009 models. The Media Hub on their site says for 2010 models. I thought the '09 and '10 were identical. Anyone know if the much cheaper Ipod Interface will work on a '10? Thanks.

-Grant-

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Remodeler_WRX10 View Post
    Hey guys/gals, I just picked up my 2010 WRX Premium Pkg last night and had a quick question. When I asked the dealership about purchashing the iPod Interface they said the only thing available was the Media Hub for 2010 model WRX's. This surprised me because when you build a '10 model WRX on Subaru's website it has the option of "Ipod Interface" for something around $200 installed. The "Media Hub" is about $400installed!! I found the Ipod Interface on Chaplin's Genuine Subaru Parts website but it says for 2008-2009 models. The Media Hub on their site says for 2010 models. I thought the '09 and '10 were identical. Anyone know if the much cheaper Ipod Interface will work on a '10? Thanks.

-Grant-

Your response doesn't have anything except quoting me...?

Ridiculously, the Ipod interface doesn't work with the '09 model b/c it isn't compatible with Sirius ready units, which are all factory units in '09. Hopefully they fixed the problem with the '10 Media Hub, so it shouldn't be the same as '09. Make sure you ask if the Ipod interface is now compatible with your radio, and if not, can you return it.

I bought the Ipod interface, had it connected, and it didn't work. The dealer installer then told me that Subaru said it basically can't work with any '09 factory radio, and they would have to try to fix it in the future. Make sure the '10 media hub is different from the previous years before even thinking of spending money on it. Hopefully this kind of helps.

$400 is absurd. Before you go writing that check to the dealer for that part, look into getting a touch screen double-DIN navigation system with built in iPod interface in the same budget!
    2009 WRX Hatch PP Dark Gray Metallic
    Torqued Performance Stage 1
    Cobb CBE
    Kenwood DNX5120

Touch screen double-DIN navigation system with built in iPod interface for $400?? Really?? I didn't think you could get anything like that for less than $900? Maybe without nav, just touch screen double din unit for $400-$500. Either way, don't worry, I'm not paying $400 for iPod interface. That is ridiculous, I agree!

Well not to get too far off topic, but I bought my Kenwood DNX-5120 brand new (includes built in Garmin nav) from an authorized online retailer for just under $600. These have since been discontinued and that was about a year ago so I'd assume something similar is out there now for cheaper. Of course this doesn't include wiring harnesses/dash kits/etc but if you wanted to install something yourself and do a bit of diligent shopping, you could likely get a double-din touchscreen nav into your car for under $500. Nix the navigation and I don't see why you shouldn't be able to do it for $400.

If the iPod interface with the 2010 stereo is anything like what it was in my 2009, operation of it is cryptic at best. If you aren't looking to mod the car much and would like to keep OEM parts while playing/charging the iPod, then the Subaru iPod adapter is probably the way to go. I wouldn't say it "sucks" but it isn't straightforward at all.

All Apple needed to navigate was a wheel and a button. Subaru uses two knobs, 6 buttons, and they have to be pressed in a certain order.... it was complicated to say the least. HOWEVER, it does get the job done!
    2009 WRX Hatch PP Dark Gray Metallic
    Torqued Performance Stage 1
    Cobb CBE
    Kenwood DNX5120

Remodeler,

I just got a 2010 WRX base last week. The only options I got were Sirius and the media hub.

I should have done more homework, because I've since been told the Sirius unit is not compatible with aftermarket head units, and the controls and interface for the media hub with the stock setup are just about the WORST things I've ever experienced.

Here's the install doc for it:

http://techinfo.subaru.com/html/down...?doc_id=302362

Also, the clarion nx409 is $499 at crutchfield and is a double din, touch screen DVD / Nav unit.

Clarion NX409 Navigation receiver at Crutchfield.com

Based on my experience, the media hub isn't worth $100, let alone $400.

If I could do it all over again, I'd ditch the media hub, spend $500 on a head unit, then just run the USB cable to the glovebox and throw the ipod in there.

well ask them how much their "media hub" is, if they say 250 then thats the ipod dock and auxillary cord in the console. im not sure becasue some dealerships call it that, mine did i asked them about the media hub they said 250 and i said go for it and now i have an ipod cord/auxillary cable port, maybe my dealership was just super stupid
    ***Stink Eye Mob 169***
    Stage 2 WRX Tuned by Brendan at Brentuning
    296 awhp
    317 awtq