Replacing stock stereo with stock stereo
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 11 of 11

This is a discussion on Replacing stock stereo with stock stereo within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; So my stereo is going out on my 02 wrx and I'm going to have to replace it soon. I ...

  1. #1
    Registered User Emrys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    156

    Replacing stock stereo with stock stereo

    So my stereo is going out on my 02 wrx and I'm going to have to replace it soon. I want to replace it with a newer version wrx radio and hopefully have some type of aux input for my ipod. I want to keep things looking stock so that is the biggest thing deterring me from getting an aftermarket radio. Has anyone done this and if so provide some feedback? Thanks

    Rob

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Registered User Emrys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    156
    I think I have found the answer to my own problem. Apparently even up to 2010 there still aren't aux inputs in any of the wrxs (I think there is in one of the Tribeca years). So, if that's how I wanna go it looks like i'm going to have to go aftermarket. Hope this info helps someone else in the future.

    Rob

  4. #3
    Registered User gimli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    56
    I have my 2010 stock stereo that I am trying to get rid of. Unfortunately, every potential recipient wants to connect an ipod, so I am stuck with it. However, the strange thing is that originally I was able to connect my ipod to it, but the plug was located in the car and not on the head unit itself. So I guess there must be a way of connecting it, but it may require some wiring and expertise I lack.

  5. #4
    Registered User Poohbear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    943
    Quote Originally Posted by Emrys View Post
    I think I have found the answer to my own problem. Apparently even up to 2010 there still aren't aux inputs in any of the wrxs (I think there is in one of the Tribeca years). So, if that's how I wanna go it looks like i'm going to have to go aftermarket. Hope this info helps someone else in the future.

    Rob
    My 09 has an aux input in the center console... IM 99% sure 08's and 100% 2010's did also... I dont kow about older years though
    Last edited by Poohbear; 01-14-2010 at 04:34 PM.
    Your vehicle is an extension of your skill as a driver, not a substitute for it.

    Stink-Eye Mob Member #21
    08+ Gauge install DIY
    Turn off your seat belt chime

  6. #5
    The Fruit mangostick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    VB VA .. the ghetto on the sea
    Posts
    4,735
    my 2010 had a aux input in the center console under the armrest.

    there are adapters out there that will allow a Ipod connection, but my question is ..

    why would anyone want the factory radio? peek through the vent holes in the chassis at its internals (or lack there of) .. its not worth the 5min to screw it into the dash.

    Your better off going aftermarket and having good sound along with the aux input abilities.

    keeping the factory unit is also smart incase for some odd reason you trade this car in.. you still have a radio to stick back in the hole in the dash without giving up that nice aftermarket radio.
    Last edited by mangostick; 01-14-2010 at 08:15 PM.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

  7. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Albuquerque, NM
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by mangostick View Post
    my 2010 had a aux input in the center console under the armrest.

    there are adapters out there that will allow a Ipod connection, but my question is ..

    why would anyone want the factory radio? peek through the vent holes in the chassis at its internals (or lack there of) .. its not worth the 5min to screw it into the dash.

    Your better off going aftermarket and having good sound along with the aux input abilities.

    keeping the factory unit is also smart incase for some odd reason you trade this car in.. you still have a radio to stick back in the hole in the dash without giving up that nice aftermarket radio.

    The stock radio is actually not that bad of a unit... it is made by clarion... the "lack" of components does not indicate junk. parts have gotten smaller and do more so less parts means more open space. the real draw back is the Ipod interface. nothing really available for anyhting other than the newer 08-up Nav radios.

  8. #7
    The Fruit mangostick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    VB VA .. the ghetto on the sea
    Posts
    4,735
    c'mon man.. we've talked about that head unit.. and while yeah its made by clarion.. that doesn't mean its output is anything useful. capacitors and power coils haven't gotten smaller.. you do this for a living man, pick up any good amp and its going to be heavy because its internal power supply is well made. Our factory radios wont hold a sheet of paper down in a stiff wind. The internal ps in the stock head unit isn't enough to drive an alarm clock radio let alone a amplifier capable of a solid 20 or so watts rms/channel I like the dash look of my factory unit, if it had a bit more snot I'd have kept it and put my pioneer in my gf's accord.

    We all know power is clarity, but not all of us want to install external amps to get a better sound. Without a good basis to create power (power supply) ya gets no good power .. so ya gets no clarity.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

  9. #8
    Registered User jorgee17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    rocky hill, Connecticut
    Posts
    123
    my 07 limited has a aux input

    which i don't use anymore... its s itting in my closet
    ~Hawkeye Alliance~ #982
    2007 limited wrx
    Cobb stage 2

  10. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Albuquerque, NM
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by mangostick View Post
    c'mon man.. we've talked about that head unit.. and while yeah its made by clarion.. that doesn't mean its output is anything useful. capacitors and power coils haven't gotten smaller.. you do this for a living man, pick up any good amp and its going to be heavy because its internal power supply is well made. Our factory radios wont hold a sheet of paper down in a stiff wind. The internal ps in the stock head unit isn't enough to drive an alarm clock radio let alone a amplifier capable of a solid 20 or so watts rms/channel I like the dash look of my factory unit, if it had a bit more snot I'd have kept it and put my pioneer in my gf's accord.

    We all know power is clarity, but not all of us want to install external amps to get a better sound. Without a good basis to create power (power supply) ya gets no good power .. so ya gets no clarity.

    if we are going to talk about cheap head units... we must include the majority or "lower end or entry level aftermarket head units" they are built very similar to these stock head units.. so by comparison unless you are planning on spending more than about $200.00 on your aftermarket units then you really are not doing much for upgrading your power.... yes the box says 50x4 or whatever... (we in the industry call this the ILS power rating... If Lightning Strikes this unit it will reach 50 watts by 4 for that split second.) so all you add for your money with these 199.00 or less units are additional features.


    Power does not always mean Clarity.... CLEAN power = clarity.... if you run more power with out cleaning up the signal you still have crap output. your correct in saying that caps and coils are still the same size, but microprocessors are smaller and smaller... so yes more and more open real estate inside that same size DIN chassis.

    Speaking amplifiers... if you notice the trend in the last few years amps are getting smaller and smaller.... yes power supplies for some amps are still the same size as they always have been but again technology advancements other parts get smaller thus reducing needed space and weight... as well with the development of Digital processing power supplies are getting smaller because we need less to build the same amount of power. you will lose some of the true sound quality.... but with the majority of the end user (consumers) using compressed media you will not hear these diferences.

  11. #10
    Registered User Emrys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    156
    Wow looks like I was way off on my research. Maybe I have a couple more options than I thought. Anyone tryin to get rid of theirs?
    honestly I'm not that interested in a bangin stereo system. Did that when I was younger and if was fun. I've put thousands in suspension & engine mods and I'm good with that. I just want something thar plays radio, CDs, and preferably a digital aux input for an iPod. And I kinda like things looking like they belong in the interior. Not a big fan of those headunits that make ur car look like the inside of a UFO with all the blinking lights. Although those LCD touch screen units r pretty tempting....

    Rob

  12. #11
    The Fruit mangostick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    VB VA .. the ghetto on the sea
    Posts
    4,735
    Quote Originally Posted by It Hertz View Post
    if we are going to talk about cheap head units... we must include the majority or "lower end or entry level aftermarket head units" they are built very similar to these stock head units.. so by comparison unless you are planning on spending more than about $200.00 on your aftermarket units then you really are not doing much for upgrading your power.... yes the box says 50x4 or whatever... (we in the industry call this the ILS power rating... If Lightning Strikes this unit it will reach 50 watts by 4 for that split second.) so all you add for your money with these 199.00 or less units are additional features.
    fully agree here.. if your going to change it out, spend for a good one. I was thinkin $300+

    fyi, for those unaware.. on 12v feed power.. in the space available inside a head unit.. there is NO WAY any company will be able to provide more than 24-25watts/channel RMS .. its just not possible without a much larger power supply. Its a matter of electrical engineering.. no ifs or buts about it. to make power you need power and if your not stepping up the voltage considerably you're not stepping up the output.

    Power does not always mean Clarity.... CLEAN power = clarity.... if you run more power with out cleaning up the signal you still have crap output. your correct in saying that caps and coils are still the same size, but microprocessors are smaller and smaller... so yes more and more open real estate inside that same size DIN chassis.
    well yeah, control circuits have gotten uber tight size wise.. but you still need to step up that 12v feed and without caps to reserve for spikes and larger coils to step up voltage .. its just not going to happen. Technology for the raw components of a 12v step up transformer hasn't really changed much.
    Speaking amplifiers... if you notice the trend in the last few years amps are getting smaller and smaller.... yes power supplies for some amps are still the same size as they always have been but again technology advancements other parts get smaller thus reducing needed space and weight... as well with the development of Digital processing power supplies are getting smaller because we need less to build the same amount of power. you will lose some of the true sound quality.... but with the majority of the end user (consumers) using compressed media you will not hear these diferences.
    Agree'd and above in there you mirror my point about the power supply size.

    Yes crappy signal in is crappy signal out.. and we may have a really nice clean SIGNAL but no oomf to get it to the drivers with the factory radio. I'm not saying its a bad unit, its just a weak one.

    Where we run into issues here is that some prefer not to add external amplifiers.. this is where a good quality head unit works for most because it maintains a decent sound without the need to install extra components and wiring.

    many ways to skin the cat my friend Really depends on end user preferences.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •