What an amazing difference a head unit makes!

This is a discussion on What an amazing difference a head unit makes! within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; I have a new 2010 WRX. My 2 previous behicles had premium Bose systems, so the WRX audio was a ...

What an amazing difference a head unit makes!

I have a new 2010 WRX. My 2 previous behicles had premium Bose systems, so the WRX audio was a huge disappointment.

After reading this forum, I took the advice of replacing the head unit as the first step in upgrading (huge thanks, BTW). On a budget, I purchased an inexpensive Sony Xplod CDX-GT640UI ($149) after reading good reviews from it. All I can say is WOW! It does make a huge difference! I was even planning on buying new speakers later, but I will even hold off on that for a while. Also, before I dismissed the Subie OEM subwoofer as total crap, but now it has come to life!

Thanks again to the people in this forum for the good advice, and best wishes for 2010!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

yep, a little more power and a better eq go a long way to improve sound quality
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

That's great to hear! I'm in the same boat and will be replacing the head unit first.

Is that a double din, where did u get the kit for install? Any pictures?
    2009 WRX..KN&N Typhoon intake, HKS SSQ BOV..

OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    SUCH IS MANGO!

what about a JDM double din bezel? I keep hearing people talk about it, but i haven't seen how it looks installed..

2008 WRX Premium-Sedan, WRB, Invidia DP, SPT CBE, VF-52, TGV Deletes, Walbro F/P, Stg 2 CAMTuned, Pink springs, Whiteline Sways, Brembos F/R, RPF1, Star Specs, Pioneer/Alpine/JL, Kartboy SS/Bushings, Leather Seats and JPM Coachworks Boots, DAMD flat bottom steering wheel, Grimspeed M/C brace,TRS HID Retrofit.

Now thats clean, question is.. where can we get our paws on em?
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Japanparts.com
    2008 WRX Premium-Sedan, WRB, Invidia DP, SPT CBE, VF-52, TGV Deletes, Walbro F/P, Stg 2 CAMTuned, Pink springs, Whiteline Sways, Brembos F/R, RPF1, Star Specs, Pioneer/Alpine/JL, Kartboy SS/Bushings, Leather Seats and JPM Coachworks Boots, DAMD flat bottom steering wheel, Grimspeed M/C brace,TRS HID Retrofit.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by gimli View Post
    All I can say is WOW! It does make a huge difference!
    Ivor Tiefenbrun always said this, "Garbage in, garbage out..." but I never really bought it until relatively recently. I'd always assumed that since speakers are the major source of distortion in a system, improving the speakers would be the first thing to do. I've been wrong in many instances though, and this is just one of them!... Oops... Congrats on the improved sound (I might look into this for my bugeye at some point...).
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by Ric WRX View Post
    Japanparts.com
    japanparts.com : PARTS DATABASE

For $78? YIKES.. I'll stick with my us market piece and a install kit. Man thats without shipping too.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    SUCH IS MANGO!

it looks like the headunit goes in too much, aftermarket bezel in other post looks better.

Thanks for that picture.

I did fix that inset in the install kit recently. Mine was set in a little too far as well. Was hard to use the volume button on my pioneer. Shaved 4mm off the rear side of the kit surround, that allowed the hu to slide forward more in the brackets. Face of the head unit is now flush. It was bugging me too so I finally up and did something about it. Even on Pioneer's website they show one in a impreza and its mounted flush.. not sure what install kit was used.. but now mine looks like theirs.

Pioneer USA - AVIC-F700BT - In-Dash Navigation AV Receiver with CD Player and Built-In Bluetooth
    Last edited by mangostick; 01-11-2010 at 08:23 AM.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    SUCH IS MANGO!