'09 In-Dash GPS/Stereo?
Results 1 to 13 of 13

This is a discussion on '09 In-Dash GPS/Stereo? within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; Hey guys, I hate the sound of the stock head unit in my '09 WRX. Any reccomendations of a good ...

  1. #1
    Registered User Tim620X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    108

    '09 In-Dash GPS/Stereo?

    Hey guys, I hate the sound of the stock head unit in my '09 WRX. Any reccomendations of a good in-dash GPS/stereo receiver?! Also any pics. if possible?

    Does anyone happen to know how much Subaru charges for theirs?
    2009 Subaru WRX (Hatch/Satin White Pearl) (*SOLD!*)

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Registered User binjoau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    776
    there was a big thread about this already..... il see if I can find it
    09 WRX Premium: AP, Perrin Stage 2, Perrin Intake, Perrin SS, Perrin TBE, BC Racing Coilovers
    Pioneer and JL Audio C2, W3, G6600 Stink eye Mob #24
    08+ Owners Gallery, add yours!!!

  4. #3
    Registered User binjoau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    776
    09 WRX Premium: AP, Perrin Stage 2, Perrin Intake, Perrin SS, Perrin TBE, BC Racing Coilovers
    Pioneer and JL Audio C2, W3, G6600 Stink eye Mob #24
    08+ Owners Gallery, add yours!!!

  5. #4
    Registered User Poohbear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    943
    there are a huge amount of options available... Do your research find out what it is you need and dont need. Do you need blue tooth connectivity? if not then dont pay for it...

    Also keep in mind that our wrx's have whats called a corporate double din not the same size as the double dins you buy online or at a store so you will need a dash kit to take up the small amount of extra space around the radio...

    I know that most places online are offering free dash kits and wiring harness's when you purchase a double din.

    For my 09 im looking at the Kenwwod DNX5120... Kenwoods use Garmin as the navigation operating system which I like much better then what other systems offer.

    Also look to see if the deck comes with built in navi or if you have to buy a receiver to get it to work...
    Your vehicle is an extension of your skill as a driver, not a substitute for it.

    Stink-Eye Mob Member #21
    08+ Gauge install DIY
    Turn off your seat belt chime

  6. #5
    Registered User Tim620X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    108
    Thanks for the replies guys! My girlfriend's Dad actually bought me a Garmin Nav unit for X-Mas so I guess I wont be purchasing an in-dash unit anymore.
    2009 Subaru WRX (Hatch/Satin White Pearl) (*SOLD!*)

  7. #6
    Registered User BigJermWRX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by Poohbear View Post
    there are a huge amount of options available... Do your research find out what it is you need and dont need. Do you need blue tooth connectivity? if not then dont pay for it...

    Also keep in mind that our wrx's have whats called a corporate double din not the same size as the double dins you buy online or at a store so you will need a dash kit to take up the small amount of extra space around the radio...

    I know that most places online are offering free dash kits and wiring harness's when you purchase a double din.

    For my 09 im looking at the Kenwwod DNX5120... Kenwoods use Garmin as the navigation operating system which I like much better then what other systems offer.

    Also look to see if the deck comes with built in navi or if you have to buy a receiver to get it to work...
    I won some change to BestBuy and was thinking of putting some twoards a head unit/GPS. I like the Pioneer AVIC X910BT and the Kenwood DNX5140.

    Post up if you end up getting the Kenwood, it's simalar to the 5140. I'd like to see what you think about it.

    I just wish I didn't win the certificate at CrapBuy, I've never liked their car audio selection

  8. #7
    Registered User elwray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    994
    Hey all, I've had the DNX-5120 for a good year or so now. Love it.

    If you're looking to add a heavy duty sound system, you might want to check out the models that have the 5v pre-outs as opposed to the 5120's 2 or 3v preouts (I don't remember which, but it was lower). For me, this was a moot point since I'm not doing any other audio mods to this car.

    I bought it primarily for the Garmin navigation -- always been my favorite. Pairing this with the iPod interface cable (not just hooking it up to the USB port) yielded quick and quality browsing. I get to see album art, which is slick.

    It was relatively cheap when I bought it new, from an authorized online retailer ($499 if I remember correctly) so now if you can still find it, you can probably get it for a steal.
    2009 WRX Hatch PP Dark Gray Metallic
    Torqued Performance Stage 1
    Cobb CBE
    Kenwood DNX5120

  9. #8
    Registered User BigJermWRX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by elwray View Post
    Hey all, I've had the DNX-5120 for a good year or so now. Love it.

    If you're looking to add a heavy duty sound system, you might want to check out the models that have the 5v pre-outs as opposed to the 5120's 2 or 3v preouts (I don't remember which, but it was lower). For me, this was a moot point since I'm not doing any other audio mods to this car.

    I bought it primarily for the Garmin navigation -- always been my favorite. Pairing this with the iPod interface cable (not just hooking it up to the USB port) yielded quick and quality browsing. I get to see album art, which is slick.

    It was relatively cheap when I bought it new, from an authorized online retailer ($499 if I remember correctly) so now if you can still find it, you can probably get it for a steal.
    A few questions if you don't mind...I'm ready to buy the DNX 5140

    1. Did you need to buy a dash kit like someone mentioned earlier in the post?

    2. Does your model allow you to view video via the iPod while driving?

    Thanks

    Jeremy
    Last edited by BigJermWRX; 01-18-2010 at 06:23 PM.
    Stock '09 WRX

    "Your job gives you authority. Your behaviour gives you respect"

  10. #9
    Registered User elwray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    994
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJermWRX View Post
    Did you need to buy a dash kit like someone mentioned earlier in the post?
    Yes. Either a kit to "fill in" the gaps, or a replacement "JDM" bezel to make the gap a true double-DIN opening.

    I personally prefer the look of the fill in kits (Metra, Scosche, etc).
    2009 WRX Hatch PP Dark Gray Metallic
    Torqued Performance Stage 1
    Cobb CBE
    Kenwood DNX5120

  11. #10
    Registered User BigJermWRX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by elwray View Post
    Yes. Either a kit to "fill in" the gaps, or a replacement "JDM" bezel to make the gap a true double-DIN opening.

    I personally prefer the look of the fill in kits (Metra, Scosche, etc).
    Newb question,

    JDM bezel? What's that?

    What did you use? Metra, Scosche?

    Crutchfield says it "fits". There's no mention of a fill-in kit
    Stock '09 WRX

    "Your job gives you authority. Your behaviour gives you respect"

  12. #11
    Registered User elwray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    994
    It replaces the silverish face plate that covers the stereo. I used the Metra I believe. Try doing a search for the JDM face plate, I don't have much info on that.
    2009 WRX Hatch PP Dark Gray Metallic
    Torqued Performance Stage 1
    Cobb CBE
    Kenwood DNX5120

  13. #12
    Registered User BigJermWRX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by elwray View Post
    It replaces the silverish face plate that covers the stereo. I used the Metra I believe. Try doing a search for the JDM face plate, I don't have much info on that.
    I did try searching it, not much out there. I'll just go with the Scosche Crutchfield has.

    One more question and I'll leave you alone....

    Would you suggest a wiring harness adaptor or can you just use splice/heat shrink connectors?
    Stock '09 WRX

    "Your job gives you authority. Your behaviour gives you respect"

  14. #13
    Registered User elwray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    994
    Definitely grab a wiring harness. It just makes life so much simpler. Someone in the Subaru community custom makes one that has all the appropriate pins.

    His website is here:
    Subaru Radio Wiring Harness - Order Form
    2009 WRX Hatch PP Dark Gray Metallic
    Torqued Performance Stage 1
    Cobb CBE
    Kenwood DNX5120

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •