New WRX owner...help with sub
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20

This is a discussion on New WRX owner...help with sub within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; Ok guys as you all know the sound on the 2010 WRX hatchback is not that good and since I ...

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    6

    New WRX owner...help with sub

    Ok guys as you all know the sound on the 2010 WRX hatchback is not that good and since I am a musician I NEED that bass. What kind of setup are you guys running as far as the subwoofer? any pics?
    thanks a lot

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Moderator T0rque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Medford, Oregon
    Posts
    25,522
    I Support ClubWRX
    Just like anything else man. Start with speakers and if that doesn't do enough then replace the head unit and add a sub


    Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

  4. #3
    Registered User DoN_WoN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by LPPTundWRX View Post
    Just like anything else man. Start with speakers and if that doesn't do enough then replace the head unit and add a sub
    i was wondering the same thing, im about to get a wrx hatch too!

    i loveee my music and my friend has a 2010 wrx and the speakers are ok but not for bass, can you just add a sub and amp and keep the stock speakers and head unit?

    they have this thing that takes up no room and bolts to the side of the wall in the trunk, fits a 10' sub. here it is
    YouTube - 08-09 Subaru WRX / STi Hatch SH10 Perfect Fit? Enclosure Install By Audio Integrations

  5. #4
    Registered User kickniteasy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    111
    from what I've read on the 09's (I'm assuming they're the same as the 10) the head unit should be first, then speakers, then if you're still not happy adding a sub.

  6. #5
    Registered User DoN_WoN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by kickniteasy View Post
    from what I've read on the 09's (I'm assuming they're the same as the 10) the head unit should be first, then speakers, then if you're still not happy adding a sub.
    can you keep stock speakers and head unit and add a sub and amp????

  7. #6
    Registered User kickniteasy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    111
    Yep, but I've had a few shops and read on a few forums that the head unit is the big limiting factor....in other words a new head unit/speakers would yield a better sound than the stock system with a sub/amp.

  8. #7
    Registered User DoN_WoN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by kickniteasy View Post
    Yep, but I've had a few shops and read on a few forums that the head unit is the big limiting factor....in other words a new head unit/speakers would yield a better sound than the stock system with a sub/amp.
    that doesn't make sense? what does the head unit have to do with the quality of sound lol..

  9. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Granite falls, Washington
    Posts
    4
    i havnt heard the sound quality yet in the 2009/2010 model wrx's but i plan on running a sub off my stock 6 disc cd changer/deck so it all looks stealthy as so if people try to break into my car they would see a stock deck and not think it has subs i could/will ask my friend who works at a near subaru dealer and see what he recomends for your helping.
    "if your going to start crap lets settle this on the streets"

    Whips:
    1994 plymouth laser rs (sold)
    2004 subaru wrx sti (i put 05 in my screen name but messed up when its a 2004 haha)

  10. #9
    UnBanned Sinister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Denver Metro Area
    Posts
    17,638
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by DoN_WoN View Post
    that doesn't make sense? what does the head unit have to do with the quality of sound lol..
    EVERYTHING...

    It's like driving a bugatti veyron on 85 octane fuel

    Every stereo has circuitry that processes the music and sends it out as a signal to the speakers... The higher quality the head unit, the better the circuitry, and the better the sound. In addition, high quality head units have HPF's and LPF's (high and low pass filters), and usually 8-15 way EQs. Your stock head unit has a 3 way EQ, and no low or high pass filters.

    If none of that made sense... just trust me. Head unit and speakers first.. Then sub and amp later.
    Kevin
    Moderator
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

    The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

  11. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by LPPTundWRX View Post
    Just like anything else man. Start with speakers and if that doesn't do enough then replace the head unit and add a sub
    I am already planning on replacing the stock HU with an avic from Alpine. My main concern is still the subs... I saw those boxes and they seem to be great but really pricey. I was considering putting a shallow sub from pioneer or Memphis but I am still wondering if I will have enough space in the trunk to fit fit my bass amp (Galien Krueger, 4x10). Is there anyone that is running the shallow subs?

  12. #11
    UnBanned Sinister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Denver Metro Area
    Posts
    17,638
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Fez_br View Post
    I am already planning on replacing the stock HU with an avic from Alpine. My main concern is still the subs... I saw those boxes and they seem to be great but really pricey. I was considering putting a shallow sub from pioneer or Memphis but I am still wondering if I will have enough space in the trunk to fit fit my bass amp (Galien Krueger, 4x10). Is there anyone that is running the shallow subs?
    Pioneer makes the AVIC series... not Alpine. If you want a NAV deck... look at Kenwood, or the AVIC Z Series. Don't look at the F-Series. I'm disappointed in mine.
    Kevin
    Moderator
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

    The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

  13. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    Pioneer makes the AVIC series... not Alpine. If you want a NAV deck... look at Kenwood, or the AVIC Z Series. Don't look at the F-Series. I'm disappointed in mine.
    My bad, I knew that the AVIC was from Pioneer but for some reason I typed Alpine. I used to have a Alpine IWA-505 on my old lancer and I loved that thing but the new AVIC Z really caught my eyes.

  14. #13
    UnBanned Sinister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Denver Metro Area
    Posts
    17,638
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Fez_br View Post
    My bad, I knew that the AVIC was from Pioneer but for some reason I typed Alpine. I used to have a Alpine IWA-505 on my old lancer and I loved that thing but the new AVIC Z really caught my eyes.
    Z3 is the Cadillac of head units.
    Kevin
    Moderator
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

    The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

  15. #14
    Registered User mexicanzero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Ottawa Ontario Canada
    Posts
    262
    i upgraded my speakers to blaupunkt coaxials (6.5 front 5.25 rear) and it made a really big difference but i dont like the very very veerrryyy limited adjustability of the stock h.u. and it starts to distort the sound too soon as well due to the amp clipping and just not having a very clear sound. so i found a pioneer double din bluetooth h.u. for 250$ online vs 450$ at my local stores so it'll be arriving next week. i've had great success with pioneer h.u's in the past, from reading reviews and personal experience including lots of different brands and models in my cars i'd say they have some of the best integrated amps in the head units. and they are plenty adjustable.
    i got an infinity 10" sub in a sealed .7 cu ft. enclosure in the trunk... it takes up very little space, i'll be running it off a smallish amp 200-300 watts rms. being a wagon the trunk is open to the cabin so i'm sure that'll be more than enough bass for me.

    i'll take pics when i'm done.

    -Alex

  16. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by mexicanzero View Post
    i upgraded my speakers to blaupunkt coaxials (6.5 front 5.25 rear) and it made a really big difference but i dont like the very very veerrryyy limited adjustability of the stock h.u. and it starts to distort the sound too soon as well due to the amp clipping and just not having a very clear sound. so i found a pioneer double din bluetooth h.u. for 250$ online vs 450$ at my local stores so it'll be arriving next week. i've had great success with pioneer h.u's in the past, from reading reviews and personal experience including lots of different brands and models in my cars i'd say they have some of the best integrated amps in the head units. and they are plenty adjustable.
    i got an infinity 10" sub in a sealed .7 cu ft. enclosure in the trunk... it takes up very little space, i'll be running it off a smallish amp 200-300 watts rms. being a wagon the trunk is open to the cabin so i'm sure that'll be more than enough bass for me.

    i'll take pics when i'm done.

    -Alex
    Thanks a lot man, that will surely help

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •