Double Din GPS Stereo! HElp!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Double Din GPS Stereo! HElp! within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; Im looking for a new stereo for my wrx....its double din size, so i was thinking i would go with ...

Talking Double Din GPS Stereo! HElp!

Im looking for a new stereo for my wrx....its double din size, so i was thinking i would go with a gps stereo.

any feedback on some good ones you guys might have.

im looking for:

double din
    gps
    ipod aux/input
    Bluetooth doesnt really matter.
    sub outputs
    equilizer custom presets
    touchscreen
    i want really good sound quality

thanks in advance

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 0wrx5 View Post
    Im looking for a new stereo for my wrx....its double din size, so i was thinking i would go with a gps stereo.

any feedback on some good ones you guys might have.

im looking for:

double din
    gps
    ipod aux/input
    Bluetooth doesnt really matter.
    sub outputs
    equilizer custom presets
    touchscreen
    i want really good sound quality

thanks in advance
    You arent going to get good sound quality from stock speakers...If you get an upgraded head unit then I would replace the speakers too. Then you'll have to throw in an AMP. Then you'll have to get a sub or two just to make your system complete. If you're going to do a system right the best way to do it is all at once. It's less pulling apart your car. Plus what you're looking for is pretty expensive. You should use that money on a TBE and get some power out of your car instead

well it will still sound OK with stock speakers, but your right for great sound quality i gotta get new ones....
    yep im deffinatly getting some craigslist subs and amps....i just want a sick gps double din stereo to start with....hooking up the subs and amp is no problems for me....i just cant hook up the stereo cuz i dont kno how to run a gps antenna and bluetooth speaker so i gotta have a store do it.
    anywayz i cant get a tbe until my warranty runs out....just to be safe
    im running stage one with a invidia cat back so im ok for now....
    for real though....do you have any suggesstions for a good stereo.

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    well it will still sound OK with stock speakers, but your right for great sound quality i gotta get new ones....
    yep im deffinatly getting some craigslist subs and amps....i just want a sick gps double din stereo to start with....hooking up the subs and amp is no problems for me....i just cant hook up the stereo cuz i dont kno how to run a gps antenna and bluetooth speaker so i gotta have a store do it.
    anywayz i cant get a tbe until my warranty runs out....just to be safe
    im running stage one with a invidia cat back so im ok for now....
    for real though....do you have any suggesstions for a good stereo.
    Why do you want to run with a GPS? Do you get lost easily? I've been out of the car stereo scene for a while since I've only been stateside for 12 months out of the past 36, but Alpine used to have a killer GPS head unit. It all comes down to personal preference. Personally, I think those are too flashy and will get your windows bashed in. But it comes down to personal preference to be honest. If you're hooking up an entire system a head unit doesnt really mean much since youre going to be running amps off it anyway. You're still looking at a minimum of 600 bucks though for what you're looking at.

cuz a built in gps is sick....
    plus i go up to the maintains to snowboard and it makes it easier just to have a gps....
    ya thats why i didnt want to buy it all at once....600 is a lot at once....i already did that with the Cobb ap.
    i was going to buy the head unit for now....
    then subs or amp on my next paycheck.
    speakers etc.
    i actually was looking at a pioneer one....its like 500 just for the head unit.
    ya i cant get it stolen so i also want to find one with a detachable plate....
    what are you running right now? stock stero?

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    nope not stock. and just because you have a detachable face plate doesnt mean it wont get stolen. My opinion is that it's too expensive to put money into your head unit. And having a GPS in the mountains isn't going to help you. Unless you're calling in airstrikes or artillery fire GPS is a bit expensive for my taste.

Just off hand...how old are you?

hahaha callin in an air strike!
    ya its expensive but i figure im going to have this car for a long time so i want to get all this stuff for it, even though i dont necessarily need it.
    im 19
    ok then whats a good double din stereo without gps....?

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    hahaha callin in an air strike!
    ya its expensive but i figure im going to have this car for a long time so i want to get all this stuff for it, even though i dont necessarily need it.
    im 19
    ok then whats a good double din stereo without gps....?
    I bolded something you should probably re-read. Remember you still have to pay for maintenance among other things. And you just said you dont NEED it. Priorities my friend, priorities. I know that it's probably not what you want to hear.

But Alpine makes good stuff, I have a Panasonic, but when it comes down to the high tech stuff you're lookin at it's going to come down to what features you want. Just remember you usually get what you pay for.

haha ya i meant i dont neccessarily need the gps part.....but i do need some slap.
    ill probably just pick up a nice head unit for now so i can connect my ipod and wait till later for subs....
    then i was thinking about it...and that money could also go to some suspension mods...since i cant go to stage 2 yet.
    i just dont kno the prices and what to get if i want to improve suspension....

I Support ClubWRX
    I personally believe the GPS is a great convenient add on that has helped me out quite a few times.

Don't get the one I have though... (AVIC F90BT)... I'm not super impressed. It's good for the money, but has quite a few bugs that upset me.

The Avic Z3 is supposed to be one of the best out there, and Kenwood's GPS systems are supposed to be great. Look into them. Best place to get advice is getting on the stereo forums.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I Support ClubWRX
    Having bought a car with GPS, I now recommend it without reservations. Great idea, it's just a matter of finding something with a good interface and useful features. I'd say to go shop around and demo as many units as you can at various stores.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

good idea thanks guys.

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Having bought a car with GPS, I now recommend it without reservations. Great idea, it's just a matter of finding something with a good interface and useful features. I'd say to go shop around and demo as many units as you can at various stores.
    I agree with having a GPS but how often do you actually use the GPS feature would be the question he needs to ask himself. I have a portable GPS that works just fine for long trips. I don't particularly need it when I'm just toolin around town.

I'm going to agree with Drews on this one. It sounds like for the few trips that this guy makes a season to the mountains his money would be better spent on a tomtom or something portable. If he likes to go down some black diamonds or off the beaten path then he can take his gps with him and not get lost. Unless he's really Ken Block in disguise then he wont be taking his subie down the slope.

<-----#1 Fanboi
    Stink-Eye-Mob #19
    ECU cracked by RomRaider

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wrxnews View Post
    I'm going to agree with Drews on this one. It sounds like for the few trips that this guy makes a season to the mountains his money would be better spent on a tomtom or something portable. If he likes to go down some black diamonds or off the beaten path then he can take his gps with him and not get lost. Unless he's really Ken Block in disguise then he wont be taking his subie down the slope.

I believe our common sense is wasted on youth. I was the exact same way when I was 19.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.