Double Din GPS Stereo! HElp! - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Double Din GPS Stereo! HElp! within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; i dont think i have wasted anything....im going to have this car for many years and i figure that a ...

i dont think i have wasted anything....im going to have this car for many years and i figure that a gps would be a good investment for the years to come. i may not use it daily but regardless it is a good feature to have.
    not only for going to the mountains but anywhere out of town.
    ima get one.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 0wrx5 View Post
    i dont think i have wasted anything....im going to have this car for many years and i figure that a gps would be a good investment for the years to come. i may not use it daily but regardless it is a good feature to have.
    not only for going to the mountains but anywhere out of town.
    ima get one.
    I wasn't saying you've wasted anything. We were just giving you advice on how you can get what you want and save a couple bucks. You merely PLAN to have the car for many years to come...You know what happened to my first two cars? Smashed. That wasn't planned.

What you fail to realize is that cars are a terrible investment. You're not going to get out what you put into it. Just know that everything you put into it is only going to make it nicer to the next guy.

With that said, that is why I suggested a portable GPS. You can keep that no matter what car you have. But me thinks you just wanna be "hip" rather than practical.

i understand that you all are trying to give me advice and i respect that. thanks.
    i figured that i would be able to take the stereo out eventually.
    anyways i found this cool double din stereo without gps that i think im going to get.
    ya that sucks i totalled my first car as well, then i drove my second one into the ground, saved up a long time and bought this one. im not trying to be hip, im just trying personalize my car the way i like it, which is what every single person on this site does as well.
    well i think im taking your advice and not getting the gps.
    or maybe in the future when im not so strapped on cash.
    thanks

Its simple, either buy a Pioneer AVHP4100DVD and a Garmin Nuvi 260W and save massive cash or go all out and buy the Pioneer AVICZ110BT, by far the best navigation DD on the market. Trust me I run a car audio department!

Oh and if you have the Premium sound system in the car, add an amp first before changing out the speakers. When we did the installation on my 09 it was done over 2 days, the first day was DD and amp then the next day the speakers / subs etc and tbh the sound quality was very good after just adding the deck and amp. Obviously its not aftermarket speaker quality but most people would be happy with it.

Just my 2 cents lol
    09 WRX Premium: AP, Perrin Stage 2, Perrin Intake, Perrin SS, Perrin TBE, BC Racing Coilovers
    Pioneer and JL Audio C2, W3, G6600 Stink eye Mob #24
    08+ Owners Gallery, add yours!!!

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by binjoau View Post
    Its simple, either buy a Pioneer AVHP4100DVD and a Garmin Nuvi 260W and save massive cash or go all out and buy the Pioneer AVICZ110BT, by far the best navigation DD on the market. Trust me I run a car audio department!

Oh and if you have the Premium sound system in the car, add an amp first before changing out the speakers. When we did the installation on my 09 it was done over 2 days, the first day was DD and amp then the next day the speakers / subs etc and tbh the sound quality was very good after just adding the deck and amp. Obviously its not aftermarket speaker quality but most people would be happy with it.

Just my 2 cents lol
    You amped the stock speakers?

And since he doesn't have subs and he is strapped for cash, an amp is almost pointless. He would just be pushing out his highs and mids and get no bass response and it would be dookie sounding! Then again...I don't have the premium sound in my car so I couldn't say what kind of bass response you'd get. I also don't start doing my system until I have everything.

I Support ClubWRX
    <<< Has premium sound.

My head unit has 50w outputs, and they are way too powerful for the stock speakers (in my opinion). The highs are very crisp, but the lows crackle like nobody's business. I can't imagine with an amp.

Unfortunately, the stock subwoofer is mated to the rear speakers on the premium sound system, so as soon as you use a low pass filter, you lose the subwoofer too!

I do have the low pass filter at about 100hz, and I raised the gain on the subwoofer it's self, so the sound system sounds better than it did stock.. but it's nothing too incredible!

I'm planning on some pioneer 2ways in the back and 3 ways up front (or more likely the 2 ways with a separate tweeter). And I'll get a kenwood 8" slim sub under the passenger seat and just 150w amp to power it. I'll probably mount the amp on the floor board up high on the passenger side, right next to the dash. Keep it well out of the way, and allow me to keep the stock sub on the drivers side. I figure it'll give me good mids so I can have the high pass filter on the sub output a little lower.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I Support ClubWRX
    And OP: btw... after buying my double din, I've realized that I shouldn't have spent the money on DVD capabilities. Not worth it in the least bit. The only reason to buy a double din (IMO) is for navigation. There are several DD Nav units that can't play DVDs, but will still run DIVX, AVI's, h.264's, etc from your ipod, a usb, or a memory stick. And a DD Nav unit w/o DVD is just barely more in price than a DD DVD player w/o nav.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    And OP: btw... after buying my double din, I've realized that I shouldn't have spent the money on DVD capabilities. Not worth it in the least bit. The only reason to buy a double din (IMO) is for navigation. There are several DD Nav units that can't play DVDs, but will still run DIVX, AVI's, h.264's, etc from your ipod, a usb, or a memory stick. And a DD Nav unit w/o DVD is just barely more in price than a DD DVD player w/o nav.
    I agree. I've had a DVD player in my car for a couple months and I've never played an actual video DVD. However, the ability to play a data DVD with MP3s is a nice feature, especially if the HU has a poor iPod interface.

i have an alpine iva-w200, and i love it. the sound quality vastly improved over the stock head unit.

the factory speakers aren't that bad.

in terms of GPS head unit, its a great convenience. i lived in Miami for 4 months and i completely relied on my GPS to get me anywhere. it saves you time and hassle. its a great brain workout trying to figure out how to get somewhere via old school paper map if you have the time (i've done it when i was an EMT) but its just easier to plug it into a GPS and get where you need to go.

that being said...

the kenwood gps head units use Garmin maps and have some cool features. you should look into them.
    2012 VW GLI
    2012 Toyota Sienna LE AWD (thats right...swagger wagon)
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #011

Quote Originally Posted by economatic View Post
    I agree. I've had a DVD player in my car for a couple months and I've never played an actual video DVD. However, the ability to play a data DVD with MP3s is a nice feature, especially if the HU has a poor iPod interface.
    i've had my iva-w200 with the dvd fix, so dvd's can play while i drive. in the 3 years i've had the unit i've played exactly 1 dvd and i've been on several long road trips.
    2012 VW GLI
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #011

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by abhiwan View Post
    i have an alpine iva-w200, and i love it. the sound quality vastly improved over the stock head unit.

the factory speakers aren't that bad.

in terms of GPS head unit, its a great convenience. i lived in Miami for 4 months and i completely relied on my GPS to get me anywhere. it saves you time and hassle. its a great brain workout trying to figure out how to get somewhere via old school paper map if you have the time (i've done it when i was an EMT) but its just easier to plug it into a GPS and get where you need to go.

that being said...

the kenwood gps head units use Garmin maps and have some cool features. you should look into them.
    The price of a GPS head unit is way too expensive. You can get a portable Tomtom or Garmin or whatever for about 150 bucks. And then you can get a damn good head unit for less than 300 bucks. Thats 450 at most. A GPS head unit is significantly more expensive than that.

ya i was lookin at some kenwoods. really cool stereos but also pretty pricy. i m thinking im just going to get a nice alpine double din. only problem is most of the double dins are dvd ones....and i dont want to pay extra money for a feature i and all of you never use.

Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    The price of a GPS head unit is way too expensive. You can get a portable Tomtom or Garmin or whatever for about 150 bucks. And then you can get a damn good head unit for less than 300 bucks. Thats 450 at most. A GPS head unit is significantly more expensive than that.
    i agree with you on the price issue. I wanted something that was integrated. i didn't want the clutter or extra wires and something stuck on my windshield, but that's just my personal preference.

OP/ I would expand on Drews advice by saying get a single din and a garmin. you have a much larger selection and they are cheaper. some have put a Forester storage compartment under their single din to give it a cleaner look. i think the only issues with the compartment is the color is slightly off and you have to install it upside down for it to fit. there are some EDM subaru's that had this awesome single din plate, but are very difficult to find. i've never found one for sale (its been a couple of years since i looked), but have seen pics.
    2012 VW GLI
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #011

Quote Originally Posted by abhiwan View Post
    i agree with you on the price issue. I wanted something that was integrated. i didn't want the clutter or extra wires and something stuck on my windshield, but that's just my personal preference.

OP/ I would expand on Drews advice by saying get a single din and a garmin. you have a much larger selection and they are cheaper. some have put a Forester storage compartment under their single din to give it a cleaner look. i think the only issues with the compartment is the color is slightly off and you have to install it upside down for it to fit. there are some EDM subaru's that had this awesome single din plate, but are very difficult to find. i've never found one for sale (its been a couple of years since i looked), but have seen pics.
    There definitely are some good single din HUs in terms of features but you'll likely lose the clean factory look. I have a suspicion that the double din units have a large mark-up for that reason (but it could also be the extra cost associated with a touch screen). If you're flexible and patient there are plenty of good deals out there...or if you're unwilling to comprise then expect to pay lots of $$$ (like I did).

Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    You amped the stock speakers?

And since he doesn't have subs and he is strapped for cash, an amp is almost pointless. He would just be pushing out his highs and mids and get no bass response and it would be dookie sounding! Then again...I don't have the premium sound in my car so I couldn't say what kind of bass response you'd get. I also don't start doing my system until I have everything.

Actually yes, there is nothing wrong with amping the stock subaru door speakers on the premium system, (i did not get the factory sub), the sound quality like I said was better but not phenomenal by any means. The low end reproduction on the stock speakers is quite good, as adding an amp doesnt just mean power it also means a cleaner signal.

Oh and I did have everything its just we did the install over 2 days, believe me I dont ever cheap out like that. its a waste of time lol
    09 WRX Premium: AP, Perrin Stage 2, Perrin Intake, Perrin SS, Perrin TBE, BC Racing Coilovers
    Pioneer and JL Audio C2, W3, G6600 Stink eye Mob #24
    08+ Owners Gallery, add yours!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.