09 wrx install questions
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 09 wrx install questions within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; I just bought a 09 wrx 5door. i will be installing a pioneer double din unit. does anyone have the ...

09 wrx install questions

I just bought a 09 wrx 5door. i will be installing a pioneer double din unit. does anyone have the wiring digram and my second question is do i need to buy a dash kit or can i use the brackets that hold the original stereo. thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Kenwood DNX5120 installation summary - NASIOC

Your going to want to use a dash kit, the factory mounts will put the head unit in there where you want it but the opening for the factory radio is a bit wider than the Pioneer will be and there will be a unsightly gap around the face.

What pioneer unit are you installing? If it is one of the avic units I can help with a wiring patch that will allow you to have use of all your controls, av functions and nav while in motion

I got my part numbers from that thread, the scosche dash kit fits perfect, and the wiring harness is pretty easy to work with as well. I ordered both direct from scosche as no one local in Norfolk/Va beach had them. The physical install was wicked easy. Literally 5 minute Job to mount the unit, maybe a extra 10 minutes to mount the gps antenna and the mic for the bluetooth/voice commands. I'd like to move the mic to a better location.. but for now it works perfect right where it is. Pics of the finished install below

nevermind the date on the cam.. apparently I need to re-set it.
    Last edited by mangostick; 10-25-2009 at 03:45 PM.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Looks like a sweet install, I want to get one of those head units. Did you have to do the soldering etc like in the other install guides online? I am a newbe and want a better stereo cause the stock one is well... bad to put it at best but dont know how confident I am at taking apart panels on a new car lol.

Quote Originally Posted by bimprez View Post
    Looks like a sweet install, I want to get one of those head units. Did you have to do the soldering etc like in the other install guides online? I am a newbe and want a better stereo cause the stock one is well... bad to put it at best but dont know how confident I am at taking apart panels on a new car lol.
    You really shouldn't need to do any soldering. Just get some decent wire connectors and make sure they are tight. The panel to the HU is super easy to get out--just use something that is plastic to wedge between it and the dash and it'll pop out, albeit with a fair amount of force. I used a window tint squeegie without making any scratches, whatsoever. Once the panel is off it is 4 screws/bolts and the HU out. However, don't count on any mounting kits to fit perfectly. I installed a double din JVC and had to do some cutting and sanding on the mounting kit so the face would detach.

That scosche kit I got fit perfect.. granted I had to order it directly from scosche.. but it fits like a glove. I did do some soldering but that was more or less to install a hardware hack on the Pioneer so I can have all my menu options available while on the roll. You can use crimps, but like stated just make sure they're tight..or get the proper crimpers that wont release until you get em properly tight. What hu are you installing?
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Awesome thanks guys! I am looking at either putting in

1) Pioneer - AVICF900BT

2) Sony - XAVW1

I dont know if the gps and bluetooth is worth the extra money? But if there are any others which you guys recon is tops let me know! I am still doing research as I new to this whole thing :-)

Did you replace the speakers as well?

1) Pioneer - AVICF900BT

2) Sony - XAVW1

I dont know if the gps and bluetooth is worth the extra money? But if there are any others which you guys recon is tops let me know! I am still doing research as I new to this whole thing :-)

I replaced the speakers with Infinity's all the way around before I got around to the HU. I didn't notice that much of a difference with the speaker upgrade. I think the general concensus is that the speakers in the 2009's are decent so if you are not an audiophile you can probably leave them in there or at a minimum replace the HU first and then decide. I probably would have gone that route if I had known better...

Re: bluetooth and gps, that is 100% your decision. I'd never pay extra for bluetooth just because I hate talking on the phone. I considered a GPS unit but decided I didn't want the stereo and GPS together. To me it seemed like too much going on with a HU. Sure it is a clean install if you use GPS regularly but if you really need GPS you can spend $150 and get a handheld. Just my $.02 and I'm sure others have different preferences.

1) Pioneer - AVICF900BT

2) Sony - XAVW1

why not go with the F700BT ? unless you need to use the dvd player.. (both will play mpeg files from the sd card or usb) the units are Identical function wise and the F700 is quite a bit cheaper. I've seen them going as low as $350 (burns me cuz a year ago I paid $540 for mine) I can safely say that if you take calls at all in the car its pretty sweet to just tap a button on the screen and say hello, call comes through the speakers. I never touch the phone. You can also transfer your phone book from phone to deck so that you dont have to look at the phone. The pioneers run on windows CE and are completely hackable as well. There are forums dedicated to the AVIC units and contain a boat load of info.

I'm not against the Sony, afaik they're decent units I just have actual long term experience with the F700bt

Also, with the extra output of the better hu your factory speakers will come alive a bit more. I had to tweak the eq settings a bit but got them to sound pretty decent. Decent enough that I may just add a pair of blaupunkt tweeters I have kickin around to fill out the staging better. Thats another area the pioneer is nice.. the sound contouring abilities are pretty extensive. Between variable x-over points and the eq.. you can tweak the sound till your happy with it.
    Last edited by mangostick; 11-13-2009 at 07:47 AM.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Smile

Ah sweet. Yeah I dont really need the dvd so been looking for that F700bt but cant seem to find one in Aus, dont think it was ever released here! :-S.

Ok so I have decided that I will replace the HU first and then see what the speakers are like after that, if still too basic then I will look around for some replacements. Planning to start on this in a month or so, gotta find those good deals! lol

Thanks for ur help!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.