What do you guys do for Ipods in your cars?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on What do you guys do for Ipods in your cars? within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; I want to listen to my Ipod in my car, but it doesnt have a tape player (Which means I ...

What do you guys do for Ipods in your cars?

I want to listen to my Ipod in my car, but it doesnt have a tape player (Which means I cant use the adapter) but thank GOD that would suck if this car had a tape player LOL!. I know I can use one of those Itrip things on my Itouch but I want something that looks more legitimate, something that will last thats kind of custom. Im putting some speakers into my car later and I would like to have all my tunes on hand rather than swapping cd's :P
    Maybe an aux-in port?
    Thanks

-Dave

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    When I had an iPod, I used a mini-mini cable ($5 from RadioShack) that plugged into the Auxillary port on the front of my deck. Some decks only have them in the rear (if at all).
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

yeah I dont have an aux-in....would it be possible to install one? I would like to put it in my little center console area so when its not in use its out of the way and real clean looking..... does anyone know id the head unit in my stock wrx 2005 2.0l has aux in ports?

My 04 wrx has a tape player so I just use cassette adapter for my ZUNE.
    2004 PSM WRX VF39'd and loving it.
    1979 Camaro Z28 383 stroker
    1993 Silverado 6.5 TD "Old Smokey"
    1974 Honda CB750 cafe racer project
    blObeye SYNDICATE #88
    "In art, as in love, instinct is enough."

I have an '05 as well and was stuck in the same predicament. I decided to just get a new Stereo system with auxiliary and usb port which can charge the iPod when plugged in.

Its This:
    JVC Arsenal KD-AHD59 CD receiver at Crutchfield.com

And since I'm not the most competent with electronics I let a shop where I live set it up for me. They let me watch how they did it if I ever wanted to do anything else. They also had the correct dash pocket that fit the whole space of the factory stero so there wasn't a gap.

It works great and you can control the iPod for the unit which is nice.
    Last edited by bluesbrother; 10-15-2009 at 09:23 AM. Reason: Forgot to add the link

bought a Pioneer head unit with aux jack and had it installed by Best Buy... no issues thus far. spent $20 on an iPod adapter from wal mart online with an adjustable arm that plugs into the lighter element and a thin cord plugs into the aux jack..... iPod dock sits just under the head unit just in front of 1st gear so i can see it well and adjust the iPod itself with little trouble. the head unit and install were kinda pricy but it gave me exactly what i wanted so it was worth it. i can take a few pics if you'd like to see my setup
    2004 PSM WRX Kartboy Short Shifter, SPT Cold Air Intake, TurboXS Turboback Exhaust, Cobb AccessPort Stage II
    Blobeye Syndicate #123
    Dirty Crew #123

I use this stereo.

Pioneer DEH-2100IB CD receiver at Crutchfield.com

It has ipod controls, which I don't really care for and luckly you're not forced into using them. It can charge my ipod/iphone while I use it and that's the really nice part. It also has a aux input on the front if you have any other type of player. Overall it was cheap and works just fine. Also matches the color scheme of my dash

I use the belkin device where you play your Ipod through a set radio station. Works like a charm plus it charges the ipod at the same time which is something an aux port won't do.
    Bugeye Mafia #231 - 2002 WRB - sold Dec 31, 2009
    -Stink-Eye Mob- #173 - 2008 SWP - Returned to TD04 Stage 2 in Jan 2012
    Frmr Blobeye Syndicate #173 - 2005 CGM -sold Sept 15, 2008. I miss my STi
    Proud owner of 99 RS coupe with EJ205 engine and tranny swap.

Do you know where I can pick up one of those inserts you were tlking about, so there is no hole in my car..... : D

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ05
    I use the belkin device where you play your Ipod through a set radio station. Works like a charm plus it charges the ipod at the same time which is something an aux port won't do.
    My mini/mini cable + iPod charger cost me all of $15 - how much did the Belkin cost you?

Plus, the radio station products (like the iTrip) play at lower quality.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I have a Sony Head Unit in my car that has an AUX and a USB port in it...its pretty sweet!
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    2006 WRX 330whp. 300wtq. Slow.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

I use the pioneer head unit along with the Ipod adapter. My Ipod is in the center console under my arm rest in the lower spot. I never have to touch it or fool with it ever since it charges is it as well. Plus the head unit has full control of the ipod exact same controls as the ipod itself. Love it and would never get rid of it. You cant even tell I have an Ipod hooked up or even in the car since there are no visible wires. This is the way I would go but thats JMHO.
    BlobEye Syndicate #-666
    Stage II 04' WRX Black (Performance Race Solutions Tuned 310whp)
    "its never enough"

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    My mini/mini cable + iPod charger cost me all of $15 - how much did the Belkin cost you?

Plus, the radio station products (like the iTrip) play at lower quality.
    I honestly don't know. Inherited it from the wife after she got her 08 and the Ipod interface adapter. I think she got it off ebay for like $25.
    Bugeye Mafia #231 - 2002 WRB - sold Dec 31, 2009
    -Stink-Eye Mob- #173 - 2008 SWP - Returned to TD04 Stage 2 in Jan 2012
    Frmr Blobeye Syndicate #173 - 2005 CGM -sold Sept 15, 2008. I miss my STi
    Proud owner of 99 RS coupe with EJ205 engine and tranny swap.

Supporting Member yamaha_rider619's Avatar
    colorado is home, Kansas is the temporary home
    I Support ClubWRX
    I have an alpine stereo with a plug that runs through my glove box and plugs into my ipod, the cord can almost reach the backseat
    Josh
    2003 Subaru Wrx Vf39'd
    Bugeye mafia #300

Yeah ... Alpine head with Ipod cable strung to center arm rest cubby ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.