BEST AMP for Kicker KICKER 07VCVR122 12" CompVR Subwoofer
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on BEST AMP for Kicker KICKER 07VCVR122 12" CompVR Subwoofer within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; I just bought one kicker compVR 12 and have no idea what amp to get for it and why. Any ...

BEST AMP for Kicker KICKER 07VCVR122 12" CompVR Subwoofer

I just bought one kicker compVR 12 and have no idea what amp to get for it and why. Any help would be greatly appreciated for the newbie!

Thanks,

Ryan

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by goinfast212 View Post
    I just bought one kicker compVR 12 and have no idea what amp to get for it and why. Any help would be greatly appreciated for the newbie!

Thanks,

Ryan
    Here are the specs for your sub, and some ideas for power.

12" sub with dual 4-ohm voice coils
    suitable for marine use
    injection-molded polymineral cone
    double-stitched, foam-ribbed Santoprene rubber surround
    frequency response: 25-500 Hz
    power handling: 50-400 watts RMS
    peak power: 800 watts
    sensitivity: 86.7 dB
    top-mount depth: 6-5/16"
    sealed box volume: 1.0-4.6 cu. ft.
    ported box volume: 1.75-2.25 cu. ft.
    Recommended Q-Logic Box Type: 1, 2, 3
    warranty: 1 year

You need something that is 500-600 Watts RMS (true power) in a Single Channel (Mono Block Amp) running at a 2ohm load. You will have to parallel the 2 voice coils down to the 2 ohm impedence.
    Or look for a 2 Channel Amp pushing around 200 Watts RMS of power at 4ohms on each channel. The reason I say to use a 500-600 watt amp is so that you dont over work the amplifier. With a larger power base, you can run it at like 75-85% and still peak your sub with all the power it can hangle at the same time not stressing the amp.

AUDIOBAHN 600 WATT 1-CHANNEL CHROME CAR AMPLIFIER AMP:eBay Motors (item 220488971935 end time Oct-12-09 06:53:57 PDT)

DIAMOND AUDIO D3600.1 AMPLIFIER 600 WATT MONO AMP NEW:eBay Motors (item 310170192901 end time Oct-22-09 16:04:07 PDT)

Soundstream Rubicon RUB2.600 2 Channel Car Amplifier :eBay Motors (item 200376608536 end time Oct-22-09 23:12:09 PDT)
    Amplifier
    Last edited by AsILayDying; 10-07-2009 at 01:04 AM.
    BlobEye Syndicate #-666
    Stage II 04' WRX Black (Performance Race Solutions Tuned 310whp)
    "its never enough"

He said CVR122?? Thats actually a Dual 2 ohm sub.

It will actually tell you on the back of the sub the exact number, if it is a CVR122 then you can only wire it in parallel at 1 ohm or in series at 4 ohms. You will need an amp stable at 4 ohms as most amps cannot handle a 1 ohm impedance.
    Last edited by binjoau; 10-07-2009 at 02:00 PM.
    09 WRX Premium: AP, Perrin Stage 2, Perrin Intake, Perrin SS, Perrin TBE, BC Racing Coilovers
    Pioneer and JL Audio C2, W3, G6600 Stink eye Mob #24
    08+ Owners Gallery, add yours!!!

Thats my bad didnt realize he was speaking about the Dual 2ohm, and there are plenty of Amps out there 1ohm stable, I would run a 2 channel amp at 2ohm per channel. But thats just me thats not really a Competition grade sub and you arent putting 1000+ watts into it so just run a 2 channel 2ohm per channel and be good to go.
    BlobEye Syndicate #-666
    "its never enough"

Quote Originally Posted by AsILayDying View Post
    Thats my bad didnt realize he was speaking about the Dual 2ohm, and there are plenty of Amps out there 1ohm stable, I would run a 2 channel amp at 2ohm per channel. But thats just me thats not really a Competition grade sub and you arent putting 1000+ watts into it so just run a 2 channel 2ohm per channel and be good to go.
    Oh yeah I know there are lots out there its just not as common as 2 or 4 ohm.

As long as you can SUM both the left and right channel into a mono you will be fine.

Honestly just go with an Alpine, you can find thm cheap and they are reliable, stay away from Soundstream. I manage a Car Audio department so Ive seen a few melted Soundstreams in my day!
    09 WRX Premium: AP, Perrin Stage 2, Perrin Intake, Perrin SS, Perrin TBE, BC Racing Coilovers

i have to have 3 posts to post a link hahah

Personally, I hate Sony car audio products so Im a little biased. Anyways Im not sure about the amp, does not give real good specs about its performance. I see its bridgable into 4ohms, what are the impedence levels in stereo and the power ratings per channel are just in watts. Not sure if that is max watt power or TRUE RMS. One of the most important things is this amp is a REFURBISHED, not new and its gonna be over 80 dollars, save your money for something better. JMHO
    BlobEye Syndicate #-666
    "its never enough"

Sony is junk. Trust me on this one, go JL, Alpine or Kicker. Easy as that.

Alpine will be your cheapest.

Yes although if you look at the power output it is only 300w RMS at 4 ohms. So it will work but the sub can take up to 400w rms. There is no problem running 300 it will just not be quite as well powered as it could be.

Binjoau, just sell him your JL Amplifier, LOL that would work right..... HA HA HA just kidding. How do you like your JL setup anyways. I used to rock some JL's back in the day 3 JL W6 12's powered by a PPI amp. I love JL its just so damn expensive, unless you are overly wealthy or in your case work for an audio location its hard to obtain thier gear.

Good luck on your system with the Kicker Sub and future unknown amp.
    BlobEye Syndicate #-666
    "its never enough"

I love it, being on a first name basis with the SK rep does help a bit when you want gear. Although im always upgrading my system so keep an eye out and i might be selling some JL stuff cheap cheap!!!

To be honest I would buy an Alipine MRPM1000 and wire it for 600w at 4 ohm mono. That way your overpowering which keeps the amp happy.

Quote Originally Posted by binjoau View Post
    I love it, being on a first name basis with the SK rep does help a bit when you want gear. Although im always upgrading my system so keep an eye out and i might be selling some JL stuff cheap cheap!!!

To be honest I would buy an Alipine MRPM1000 and wire it for 600w at 4 ohm mono. That way your overpowering which keeps the amp happy.
    Thats what I was trying to tell him in my first post about using a larger power platform so that the amp does not get overworked and can run more efficient but still peak power the sub. Let me know when and if you do decide to get rid of some stuff.
    BlobEye Syndicate #-666
    "its never enough"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast