09 Stereo - Why is it so bad?
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 12 of 12

This is a discussion on 09 Stereo - Why is it so bad? within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; I've posted a few times in the last month with questions about the stereo in the 09 WRX. After going ...

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    96

    09 Stereo - Why is it so bad?

    I've posted a few times in the last month with questions about the stereo in the 09 WRX. After going over the costs, I am realizing how pricey of an endeavor replacing everything really is. So I've turned back to you all with the following question: Why is the stereo so bad?

    Is it...
    a. Location of the speakers (tweeters)?
    b. Quality of the speakers?
    c. Quality of the head unit?
    d. Anemic low frequency response?
    e. Acoustic environment?
    f. All of the above?

    The reason I ask this, is that I am trying to balance cost vs performance of the stereo system. I am already planning on a 10W3 sub and Kenwood DNX6140, which takes care of c and d. Maybe this will fix everything?

    If the answer is a, then I will focus on upgrading the fronts and have tweeters placed in the sail panels. Hopefully the Kenwood can power cheaper component speakers (suggestions?).

    If the answer is b, then I can replace the stock speakers with something in the $100 range that can be driven by the Kenwood (suggestions?).

    If the answer is f, then the upgrade may have to happen over time...

    Let me know what ya'll think.

    Evan

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    6
    Easy fix. Push in the right knob like it's a button. Turn the treble way up (7 or 8). Turn the bass up to 6 or higher if your doors don't vibrate.

    You don't need new speakers, though I hear Infinity makes some nice ones. I'd get a new amp first if this tweak doesn't help.

  4. #3
    Registered User kwiksilverwrx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Santa Rosa
    Posts
    16
    what about adding a box and 12' in the hatch? anyone know what ill need and where to tap into?

  5. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    96
    Quote Originally Posted by kwiksilverwrx View Post
    what about adding a box and 12' in the hatch? anyone know what ill need and where to tap into?
    I'm already planning on adding a sub. There is another thread on adding the factory Subaru under-the-seat sub that mentions using an aftermarket one instead, that may give you more information on attaching an aftermarket sub to the stock headunit.

  6. #5
    Registered User economatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    843
    Quote Originally Posted by evanr View Post
    I'm already planning on adding a sub. There is another thread on adding the factory Subaru under-the-seat sub that mentions using an aftermarket one instead, that may give you more information on attaching an aftermarket sub to the stock headunit.
    It is awful. That is what I did in my '09. I upgraded all the speakers in the doors but kept the factory tweeters up front. Then I added an 8'' sub on the trunk and it sounds terrible. The limiting factor is the HU and get rid of it ASAP.

  7. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Davey Jones Locker
    Posts
    8,644
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by economatic View Post
    It is awful. That is what I did in my '09. I upgraded all the speakers in the doors but kept the factory tweeters up front. Then I added an 8'' sub on the trunk and it sounds terrible. The limiting factor is the HU and get rid of it ASAP.

    I've been doing stereos for years. Honestly the BEST sounding stereos I've heard for non competition cars and just your average person is 1 10" or 12" sub(depending on the music you listen to) replacing the head unit, and a nice component set up front. Disconnect your back speakers all together. It's not like you're watching movies in dolby digital 7.1 surround in your car.

  8. #7
    Registered User T.J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    on a boat...
    Posts
    823
    Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    I've been doing stereos for years. Honestly the BEST sounding stereos I've heard for non competition cars and just your average person is 1 10" or 12" sub(depending on the music you listen to) replacing the head unit, and a nice component set up front. Disconnect your back speakers all together. It's not like you're watching movies in dolby digital 7.1 surround in your car.
    Agreed fully, although I still run a little sound through the stock rears for the "all around" feeling. Just enough to tell they are there.

    The head unit is junk. Get a decent Pioneer HU ($250 or so) and replace the front door speakers w/ some Infinity components ($100-$150) and a good 10" sub in a small box is plenty for me in the wagon. That is my recipe.

    Good luck, T.J.
    Last edited by T.J.; 08-20-2009 at 10:36 AM.
    200,000 mile club.

    Old Irish adage: "Do not resent growing old. Many are denied the privilege."

  9. #8
    Registered User economatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    843
    Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    I've been doing stereos for years. Honestly the BEST sounding stereos I've heard for non competition cars and just your average person is 1 10" or 12" sub(depending on the music you listen to) replacing the head unit, and a nice component set up front. Disconnect your back speakers all together. It's not like you're watching movies in dolby digital 7.1 surround in your car.
    It all comes down to personal preference for subs and a 10'' or 12'' would have been overkill for my tastes. There is no lack of bass for me, it is everything else that is horrible. Bottom line is the HU is junk, which many, many people have confirmed and should be first on your list to replace.

  10. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    96
    Awesome.

    Seems as if I can just keep the rear speakers as is and add components up front. I'm planning to put a Kenwood DNX6140 in. Will that be sufficient to drive lower-end component fronts (22 wpc)?

    I'll also be throwing in a 10" sub as well, which should round everything out nicely.

    Evan

  11. #10
    Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Late Devonian
    Posts
    13,315
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by evanr View Post
    Awesome.

    Seems as if I can just keep the rear speakers as is and add components up front. I'm planning to put a Kenwood DNX6140 in. Will that be sufficient to drive lower-end component fronts (22 wpc)?

    I'll also be throwing in a 10" sub as well, which should round everything out nicely.

    Evan
    If your running a separately powered sub you can use a high pass filter for the other speakers to free up a ton of power of your head.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

  12. #11
    Registered User economatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    843
    Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    If your running a separately powered sub you can use a high pass filter for the other speakers to free up a ton of power of your head.
    Agreed. I'm not familiar with that HU but a couple years ago I had a Kenwood with fully adjustable crossovers to all channels and I was surprised with how well it drove my components. Also, if you find it isn't enough power for your components just add an amp later--best way to go if you're on a budget.

  13. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    6
    So it's the head unit to be changed first? It really does sound bad. My question is mine came with the ipod interface and if I change the head unit will it still work? Thanks

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •