2009 WRX - Mounting Amps Under Front Seats & Other Random Stereo Questions - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 47

This is a discussion on 2009 WRX - Mounting Amps Under Front Seats & Other Random Stereo Questions within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; mounted. It's amost a perfect fit, the surface is not totally flat, it is pretty solid, won't be going anywhere....

  1. #31
    Registered User jamie007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Aloha, OR
    Posts
    833
    mounted. It's amost a perfect fit, the surface is not totally flat, it is pretty solid, won't be going anywhere.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wood2.jpg  
    Jamie
    2009 WRX Prem Hatch:
    Cobb stage II, Kartboy SS, SPT Catback, Cobb DP, WL Sways, Perrin/AVO Endlinks, Conti DWS

    Previous rides:
    99 Civic Si (RIP), 2004 WRX, 2006 STI Cobb stage II

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #32
    Registered User jamie007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Aloha, OR
    Posts
    833
    I then pulled the carpet over the board and bolted down the amp. Since I had the notch for the hump I couldn't use that mount on my amp. But 3 screws are better then none! I ran the power wire along the outside of the interior near the door and the RCA cables along the center of the car along the big hump where the transmission is so I wouldn't have any interference. You'll notice I duct taped up the vents, I did this so in the winter I won't have hot air blowing on my old school Fosgate...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails amp1.jpg  
    Jamie
    2009 WRX Prem Hatch:
    Cobb stage II, Kartboy SS, SPT Catback, Cobb DP, WL Sways, Perrin/AVO Endlinks, Conti DWS

    Previous rides:
    99 Civic Si (RIP), 2004 WRX, 2006 STI Cobb stage II

  4. #33
    Registered User jamie007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Aloha, OR
    Posts
    833
    This is as far as I got, up to today. I still haven't installed my seat, I'm pretty sure it will fit! I'll find out later today. Right now my amp is powering my rear speakers and my deck is still powering the fronts. In the next week or so I'm going to install the front speakers. I have the wires ran from my amp waiting for them to get hooked up. I also ran another power wire and from the firewall behind the dash to the drivers side for my sub amp which I am installing last. I ran the RCA's for my sub amp with the RCA's for my speaker amp and then behind the center armwrest under the seat. Again to keep the power wires away from the RCA's. I could have done it differently but I think this will work good. When I get to the sub amp, I'll report back with more pictures. Oh one more thing, since I removed that insulation under the seat I put some Dynamat in it's place under the board for the amp.

    *edit* a few more tips:

    * Some of the plastic "push pins" that hold the carpet in place or the seats, actually screw in. So if you try to pop one out and it won't budge try turning it counter clockwise. There is one in the front footwell on the passenger side like this.

    * Disconnect the battery before you unplug the airbags when removing the seats
    Last edited by jamie007; 10-07-2009 at 01:29 PM.
    Jamie
    2009 WRX Prem Hatch:
    Cobb stage II, Kartboy SS, SPT Catback, Cobb DP, WL Sways, Perrin/AVO Endlinks, Conti DWS

    Previous rides:
    99 Civic Si (RIP), 2004 WRX, 2006 STI Cobb stage II

  5. #34
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    96
    Quote Originally Posted by jamie007 View Post
    This is as far as I got, up to today. I still haven't installed my seat, I'm pretty sure it will fit! I'll find out later today. Right now my amp is powering my rear speakers and my deck is still powering the fronts. In the next week or so I'm going to install the front speakers. I have the wires ran from my amp waiting for them to get hooked up. I also ran another power wire and from the firewall behind the dash to the drivers side for my sub amp which I am installing last. I ran the RCA's for my sub amp with the RCA's for my speaker amp and then behind the center armwrest under the seat. Again to keep the power wires away from the RCA's. I could have done it differently but I think this will work good. When I get to the sub amp, I'll report back with more pictures. Oh one more thing, since I removed that insulation under the seat I put some Dynamat in it's place under the board for the amp.
    That was awesome, thanks for all the detailed photos/descriptions! I'm tempted to bolt down my own amp now. How much of an endeavor is it to remove the seat itself?

    One thought I had was to bolt it directly to a piece of wood and then velcro the wood to the carpet. It will cause the carpet to be a bit fuzzy afterwards... but no holes!

    What type of wood (MDF?) did you use, and do you happen to have the dimensions to avoid the bump you mention? I suppose it would vary by amp dimensions, but it'd be nice to get an idea before I take out the seat.

  6. #35
    Registered User jamie007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Aloha, OR
    Posts
    833
    Quote Originally Posted by evanr View Post
    That was awesome, thanks for all the detailed photos/descriptions! I'm tempted to bolt down my own amp now. How much of an endeavor is it to remove the seat itself?

    One thought I had was to bolt it directly to a piece of wood and then velcro the wood to the carpet. It will cause the carpet to be a bit fuzzy afterwards... but no holes!

    What type of wood (MDF?) did you use, and do you happen to have the dimensions to avoid the bump you mention? I suppose it would vary by amp dimensions, but it'd be nice to get an idea before I take out the seat.
    Removing the seat was cake, took like 5 min, just 4 14mm bolts. The hardest part is unplugging the airbags/heated seats. Sometimes those connectors are a pain! It's kind of ghetto but you could just put some velcro (the rough side, not the fuzzy)on your amp and it will stick to the carpet no problem. However that's cheesy and would probably make some static electricity which wouldn't be good. The board I used was 3/4" Medite, but I think it is called MDF? (not particle board). I think the demensions are about 10" x 11"? The holes in the carpet from the screws are so small you would never see them, and besides there under the seat. The wiring and pulling the trim out is the hardest part, I work very slow, I spent about 3 hours just for the amp, and I'm still not done. Still gotta put the trim back together, and the seats. Oh yeah I had to pull the rear seat as well to pull up the carpet. Rear seats are really easy, They just snap in and out.
    Last edited by jamie007; 10-06-2009 at 09:54 AM.
    Jamie
    2009 WRX Prem Hatch:
    Cobb stage II, Kartboy SS, SPT Catback, Cobb DP, WL Sways, Perrin/AVO Endlinks, Conti DWS

    Previous rides:
    99 Civic Si (RIP), 2004 WRX, 2006 STI Cobb stage II

  7. #36
    Baconator azWRX06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Gilbert, Arizona, United States
    Posts
    1,466
    I Support ClubWRX
    Subscribed. I'm mounting my VDP and other items under the seat too.
    -AJ | Hawk-Eye Alliance #55 | Stink-Eye Mob #1
    NASIOC - Narcissistic, Arrogant, Self Involved, Oligarchy of Cryptorchidisms

    2011 Chevy Camaro SS RS Package & 2011 Honda Pilot
    Used to have: Protune Stage 2 2010 Subaru WRX
    Used to have: Stage 4 2006 Subaru WRX

    Add me to Facebook

  8. #37
    Registered User jamie007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Aloha, OR
    Posts
    833
    Another thing, make sure you disconnect the battery before pulling the seats. This is because of the airbags...
    Jamie
    2009 WRX Prem Hatch:
    Cobb stage II, Kartboy SS, SPT Catback, Cobb DP, WL Sways, Perrin/AVO Endlinks, Conti DWS

    Previous rides:
    99 Civic Si (RIP), 2004 WRX, 2006 STI Cobb stage II

  9. #38
    Baconator azWRX06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Gilbert, Arizona, United States
    Posts
    1,466
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by jamie007 View Post
    Another thing, make sure you disconnect the battery before pulling the seats. This is because of the airbags...
    Could you pull the airbag fuses instead? Radio resets are a pain.
    -AJ | Hawk-Eye Alliance #55 | Stink-Eye Mob #1
    NASIOC - Narcissistic, Arrogant, Self Involved, Oligarchy of Cryptorchidisms

    2011 Chevy Camaro SS RS Package & 2011 Honda Pilot
    Used to have: Protune Stage 2 2010 Subaru WRX
    Used to have: Stage 4 2006 Subaru WRX

    Add me to Facebook

  10. #39
    Registered User jamie007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Aloha, OR
    Posts
    833
    Quote Originally Posted by azWRX06 View Post
    Could you pull the airbag fuses instead? Radio resets are a pain.
    I can't say for sure, but I guess so. Yeah radio resets are a pain, especially if you have Sirius. When I first did this I couldn't get my satellite to work when I hooked the battery back up, it would say "invalid channel." I called Sirius and was on the line with them for like 20 min. It turns out it did this because when I hooked the battery back up it was in my garage and it couldn't get a signal. I had to pull my car out of the garage and disconnect the battery for a few minutes. Then when I reconnected the battery in the open, it downloaded all of the channels again and it was fine.
    Jamie
    2009 WRX Prem Hatch:
    Cobb stage II, Kartboy SS, SPT Catback, Cobb DP, WL Sways, Perrin/AVO Endlinks, Conti DWS

    Previous rides:
    99 Civic Si (RIP), 2004 WRX, 2006 STI Cobb stage II

  11. #40
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    96
    Quote Originally Posted by jamie007 View Post
    Removing the seat was cake, took like 5 min, just 4 14mm bolts. The hardest part is unplugging the airbags/heated seats. Sometimes those connectors are a pain! It's kind of ghetto but you could just put some velcro (the rough side, not the fuzzy)on your amp and it will stick to the carpet no problem. However that's cheesy and would probably make some static electricity which wouldn't be good. The board I used was 3/4" Medite, but I think it is called MDF? (not particle board). I think the demensions are about 10" x 11"? The holes in the carpet from the screws are so small you would never see them, and besides there under the seat. The wiring and pulling the trim out is the hardest part, I work very slow, I spent about 3 hours just for the amp, and I'm still not done. Still gotta put the trim back together, and the seats. Oh yeah I had to pull the rear seat as well to pull up the carpet. Rear seats are really easy, They just snap in and out.
    That sounds simple enough... I would probably take a long time to do this too. Better safe than sorry!

    A bit off-topic: I tested out the DVD player in my stereo today. It is a bit funny seeing a DVD play in my car, but the sound was amazing. Running the Focals full-range with the sub was great. A much better demo of the system than playing music as well.

  12. #41
    Registered User jamie007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Aloha, OR
    Posts
    833
    Quote Originally Posted by evanr View Post
    That sounds simple enough... I would probably take a long time to do this too. Better safe than sorry!

    A bit off-topic: I tested out the DVD player in my stereo today. It is a bit funny seeing a DVD play in my car, but the sound was amazing. Running the Focals full-range with the sub was great. A much better demo of the system than playing music as well.
    It won't be that bad since the wiring is already there, Shouldn't take more then a few hours really.

    This morning I put my seat back in and it cleared the amp no problem, but it was close. I maybe have 1/2" of clearance, but I have heated seats, so if you don't have them you might have more room.

    I'm going to keep updating (editing) my last post of the step by step instructions with some helpfull tips for working on the interior so everything is in one place.
    Jamie
    2009 WRX Prem Hatch:
    Cobb stage II, Kartboy SS, SPT Catback, Cobb DP, WL Sways, Perrin/AVO Endlinks, Conti DWS

    Previous rides:
    99 Civic Si (RIP), 2004 WRX, 2006 STI Cobb stage II

  13. #42
    Registered User jamie007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Aloha, OR
    Posts
    833

    Finally 2/3's done!

    Alright, I finally got to do the drivers side amp, to power a JL Audio sub in the trunk. Shortly after my last post I got a inguinal hernia and was down and out for awhile!

    Anyways the drivers side is almost identical to the passenger side. I did everything the same as the passenger side, using a piece of wood (no notch this time) and velcro. It was a little more of a pain to remove the carpeting, mostley due to the gas tank release lever. To remove it, you have to first remove the plastic piece for the actual lever. You just slide it off by pushing it towards the front of the car. And to remove the plastic housing around it, it pretty much just lifts straight up. It is held by snaps so be kind of gentle not to break anything.

    Here is the first pic with the carpet pulled back, I was expecting something there for the tire pressure monitor stuff but under the seat/carpet its completely bare. Perfect for amp mounting!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ampdriver1.jpg  
    Last edited by jamie007; 12-06-2009 at 05:01 PM.
    Jamie
    2009 WRX Prem Hatch:
    Cobb stage II, Kartboy SS, SPT Catback, Cobb DP, WL Sways, Perrin/AVO Endlinks, Conti DWS

    Previous rides:
    99 Civic Si (RIP), 2004 WRX, 2006 STI Cobb stage II

  14. #43
    Registered User jamie007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Aloha, OR
    Posts
    833
    As you can see I cut away the foam between the two "valleys" and used Dynmat to take it's place.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ampdriver2.jpg  
    Jamie
    2009 WRX Prem Hatch:
    Cobb stage II, Kartboy SS, SPT Catback, Cobb DP, WL Sways, Perrin/AVO Endlinks, Conti DWS

    Previous rides:
    99 Civic Si (RIP), 2004 WRX, 2006 STI Cobb stage II

  15. #44
    Registered User jamie007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Aloha, OR
    Posts
    833
    Here's the finished product, the board with velcro is under the carpet, and I blocked off the vents. My seat installed no problem with just enough clearance that nothing touches the amp. I have to say the bass sounds much louder and fuller in this car then my 06 STI, even though I'm using all the same equipment. Now I just need to install my MB Quarts in the front doors and my system is complete!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ampdriver3.jpg  
    Jamie
    2009 WRX Prem Hatch:
    Cobb stage II, Kartboy SS, SPT Catback, Cobb DP, WL Sways, Perrin/AVO Endlinks, Conti DWS

    Previous rides:
    99 Civic Si (RIP), 2004 WRX, 2006 STI Cobb stage II

  16. #45
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    STL
    Posts
    59
    That's awesome! Just a question if you don't mind..

    Why are you powering the rear speakers with an amp? Why not get a single 4 channel amp, power the fronts and bridge the two remaining channels for the sub? Just curious..Since most of the sound stage is in the front speakers..
    2009 WRX..KN&N Typhoon intake, HKS SSQ BOV..

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •